Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y
By not saying no. Public Assistance Recipient is a protected class in Massachusetts. If you do not want to people on section 8, you should choose to invest in the stock market instead of real estate. It is not uncommon to receive fines in the tens of thousands of dollars for discrimination in Ma.
Look at the case of Linder V. Boston Fair Housing commission, then decide if you want to discriminate or not.
I can’t even imagine the horrors that are being done to intact historic homes to bring them into Section 8 compliance in MA in a financially sane way. Peeing paint on the exterior of a second story window. Sure, if the home has no integrity, just have all the original trim ripped off and cover it with vinyl. But if it does.... It makes me sick. I’ve seen enough mangled cornices in Baltimore’s brick row houses. That would be 10000x worse to be forced to do it to any house.
:((((((
I work strictly with historical homes (except for one). I refuse to do anything with my properties that gets the gov't involved at all. That way I can fix what I need to, and leave as much original as possible. It's not up to anyone who isn't paying my bills to decide what I can or cannot or must do to my property.
When someone responds to a rental ad and asks if section 8 is accepted, what's the best way to say no to avoid discrimination?
One of the easiest ways is to price your rental out of the range of section 8 (though they will still ask and either try to negotiate it down OR try to get a lease knowing full well they cannot pay the difference between section 8 and the retail rent)
In Ohio, I basically tell them we are not approved for Section 8, but are open to it. The truth is I always get multiple applicants who are better qualified, so I haven't actually had to turn anyone down. I let them fill out an application, and I select the most qualified applicant.
I am a new property manager in northeastern Ohio and 1 of my properties is within a city that does not discriminate based on source of income. I assume this to include the section 8 voucher program. I have an applicant who currently receives the vouchers. How long of a process is it to get my property qualified? I heard it could take 45 days. Any info into this process would be appreciated.