Renting to sex offender

Renting to sex offender

Fairfax, VA · Member since 2017 · 183 posts · 58 votes

I am in the process of screening a potential tenant, he told me he had a felony from 15 years, he offered to explain but I didn't wanna push unless necessary. After doing a background check on him I found out he is registered as a sex offender for "lewd conduct with a minor."  

My question is, he's been clean for the past 15 years no criminal record before or after that incident, has now a fiance and has been living with her and her 2 children for the past 5 years, has a good income and good credit. I know it's a very personal question, but would you rent to someone like that?

2Reply
126 views

Most Popular Reply

John MorganPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

@Daniel Suarez

I’d take him. I have a sex offender and he’s been my best tenant. I’ve taken in people with felonies and prison time as well and they’ve been excellent. I don’t rule out anyone. Their job history tells me a lot.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Belinda Fello:
    Quote from @John Morgan:

    @Daniel Suarez

    I’d take him. I have a sex offender and he’s been my best tenant. I’ve taken in people with felonies and prison time as well and they’ve been excellent. I don’t rule out anyone. Their job history tells me a lot.

    I just unknowingly rented to one. Do you have an HOA. Im wondering if I will get in some sort of trouble. Just wondering. But this also helps me feel better
    I don’t have an HOA where I’m renting. But there are different degrees of sex offenders I learned. So it depends on how bad it is. My guy was 22 and had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend. Her mom turned them in. He did prime though. 
  • Investor · Vermont and New York · Member since 2023 · 308 posts · 309 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Daniel if he offends again you will be sued for a crazy amount and become famous! 


     Uh, why would someone's landlord be sued?  I don't hear about too many landlords being sued when a tenant commits a crime.  

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Belinda Fello:
    Quote from @John Morgan:

    @Daniel Suarez

    I hope I never rent a place from you because i can’t be near none of them at all because coming from a mother who had these man rape my 10 year old daughter and only get 13 years in jail I don’t want to be no where near them people 


  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Morgan:
    Quote from @Belinda Fello:
    Quote from @John Morgan:

    @Daniel Suarez

    I’d take him. I have a sex offender and he’s been my best tenant. I’ve taken in people with felonies and prison time as well and they’ve been excellent. I don’t rule out anyone. Their job history tells me a lot.

    I just unknowingly rented to one. Do you have an HOA. Im wondering if I will get in some sort of trouble. Just wondering. But this also helps me feel better
    I don’t have an HOA where I’m renting. But there are different degrees of sex offenders I learned. So it depends on how bad it is. My guy was 22 and had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend. Her mom turned them in. He did prime though. 
    That rape she only 15 and he was 22 that was nasty and I hope I never stay no where near him
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Ain't gonna happen! There is way too much liability in placing this type of tenant.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tim J.:
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Daniel if he offends again you will be sued for a crazy amount and become famous! 


     Uh, why would someone's landlord be sued?  I don't hear about too many landlords being sued when a tenant commits a crime.  


     If the landlord was aware of his past, yet rented to him anyway - any lawyer worth their salt would make a nexus between those two pieces of information and create a liability claim.

    In addition to the extreme negative press you would get, it also takes time, money and energy to defend a lawsuit you will eventually win.

  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    Hi Daniel, I was wondering if you would be available to have a discussion about rental properties you may have in VA.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Absolutely not- wouldn't entertain it for one second. Now that you have that knowledge, you also have the liablity. What's the purpose of screening tenants if you will rent to a sex offender anyhow?

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Just ignore her.  It's a troll.  Account was made today.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.