Anything you say can and will be used against you

Anything you say can and will be used against you

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 9 votes

A few months ago we were in the process of evicting some tenants. The complaint and the letter from my lawyer stuck strictly to facts of the lease violations but, as could be expected, the tenants' response was filled with personal attacks against me. One of their points was that I was trying to dodge my responsibilities as landlord because of a question I had posted in an online forum. I went through that entire eviction process craving advice from all of you but scared to say anything because I knew these (now former) tenants were trolling me. My only goal is to be an exceptional landlord, to always do things right. It's hard to be new since the only way to learn is through experience so it's really valuable when there is someone who has had that experience already and can share their insights. I realized I was limiting myself and only making things harder by not using this forum, so I'm back! I'm not afraid of anything I've posted and I stand behind my questions and statements - I've never had any intention to dodge my responsibilities. I'm sure it's in the terms of service that we all click "accept" without thoroughly reading but know that what you post here might be read by a tenant. I thought with the paid membership there was some exclusivity but there isn't. Be careful, be honest and act with integrity because what you post here just might end up being quoted in an attempt to discredit you or hurt your business.

4Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

@Deanna Boss change your profile name so it only shows the first letter of your last name. I was trolled by a former tenant that was evicted but I changed my name and haven't had a problem since despite thousands of posts.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Deanna Boss

    I believe if you post in a pro section, only pro members can read and reply to those posts.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Good to know! Thank you. Maybe worth it to upgrade? Now that I'm back online here it would have more value. 

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Unless your going to go on some type of rant about how your braking the laws, or flat out admin your doing what they are claiming.. it don’t matter.

    Little advice, your a landlord. No one likes you. It don’t matter what you dream, think, or hope to be as a landlord. Your tenants will never like you. Your a slumlord even when your not. Your robbing people of their hard earned money by requiring them to pay rent to live in your property. This is the fact of landlord life.

    This is why you see veteran landlords speak from a point of facts. Not assumed, or any other bs a tenant is tossing into the mix. We only care about the fact of when rent is due, what happens when it’s late, and who is responsable for what according to the lease agreement. 

    No landlord cares if their tenant thinks there is a ghost (yes tenants will tell you this), or some other reason they can’t pay rent. 

    All that matters is that your following the lease and the law. 

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    You can always change your profile settings to only show the first initial of your last name.  That should help with them doing an online search and finding you here.

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    I also had an experience with a tenant using an offhand comment on these forums to imply I was trying to do something illegitimate when I was just wondering and asking for information... It's good to know about options to keep our private considerations more private. Thanks for the tip!

  • Rental Property Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 196 posts · 130 votes
    7y

    @Deanna Boss It is great that you are not letting a bad experience end your landlord journey. There are a lot of great people here that give fantastic advice, and you can only control your side of forum posts. 

    Most nitty-gritty things are best left up to your attorney, but experience and advice on where to find resources that can help are what this forum built for. Best of luck!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    @Deanna Boss change your profile name so it only shows the first letter of your last name. I was trolled by a former tenant that was evicted but I changed my name and haven't had a problem since despite thousands of posts.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Ayne C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 251 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    I'm changing my last name to an initial asap.  Thank you for posting this!

  • Specialist · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 557 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing your story Deanna! Definitely a great reminder that everything we post on the internet can be used against us...

  • Investor · Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thank you for your post and for all the helpful comments about updating our profiles!  It's always hard to get mean spirited comments from tenants when your intents are well meaning ... that's part of the deal with property managing your own properties.  Something to be said for having a property manager as a buffer between you and the tenants.  That's my preference and preferred approach.  :)

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    @Deanna Boss the only lesson here is don’t post incriminating statements when your clearly unIquely identifiable and being trolled.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.