Tenant put Padlocks on all Rooms in Unit

Tenant put Padlocks on all Rooms in Unit

Homeowner · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 24 votes

Hi,

During an inspection, I found that a tenant put padlocks on all rooms with doors without permission. He said that it is his right to have locks if contractors, etc enter his unit. Additionally, he will not provide me with keys.

1. He acknowledges that he did not receive written permission.

2. He says he has a right for the protection of his property.

Is this right?

3. I replied that if I don't have access to those rooms, and there is some sort of emergency, he would be held liable.

Is that right?

Its my only property and I am manage it.

How have similar landlords handed providing protection for tenant's property and privacy with landlord's having full access to every room in a unit?

Thanks!

5Reply
198 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

What does your lease say?  Here's an excerpt from mine:

 (b) Locks may not be altered nor may new locks, bolts, or other door or window attachments be installed without our prior written consent. 

If it were me I would send a 10-day notice to cure.  Since this person sounds like a difficult tenant, if they gave any pushback I would terminate their lease (M2M) at a time convenient for me to do the turnover and re-market the apartment. (Probably spring)

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Yeah that is a lease violation for me.

  • Patrick LiskaPro Member
    Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    7y

    You have the right to enter any room in YOUR house, provided you give the tenant notice that you will be entering, unless it is an emergency, then you can enter right away. you have a right to those keys or to have the tenant remove them. if this tenant is so paranoid maybe a compromise of installed entry door handles on every door so that they are keyed alike. this way the tenant has locking doors and all you need is one key to open them all.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    What does your lease say?  Here's an excerpt from mine:

     (b) Locks may not be altered nor may new locks, bolts, or other door or window attachments be installed without our prior written consent. 

    If it were me I would send a 10-day notice to cure.  Since this person sounds like a difficult tenant, if they gave any pushback I would terminate their lease (M2M) at a time convenient for me to do the turnover and re-market the apartment. (Probably spring)

  • Rental Property Investor · Union City, NJ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    What do you have written in your lease? It's standard to have a provision on key and lockout violations. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    This guys kind of sounds like a nightmare. Anytime they get into "my rights" stuff you want to be careful. 

    You need to defer back to your lease and your tenant/landlord laws. 

    We would make them provide keys and if their lock swapping caused any damage... Invoice them for it. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    My lease states they cannot change locks without authorization and they must provide me with a copy of any/all keys within five days of the change.

    A Landlord must have access to the property for emergencies. You can kick them out for violating the terms of the agreement or you can let it ride and then charge them for a lock change when they leave. Personally, I wouldn't let it slide because there's a good chance they are hiding something or they are highly likely to violate other terms of the contract.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    A written letter of demand to remove all locks immediately. A full charge immediately to fix or replace all doors.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Cure or quite immediately. Unfortunately, based on my experience, this is a tenant that ultimately you will need to get rid of. The locks are a indication of some form of mental illness and as such there will be no resolution to your situation short of eviction.

    Crazy is not workable for landlords and will not be limited to a single incident involving these locks. You have a tenant that you will not be able to rationally deal with.

    Do not try to "work" with him it will only result in your loss. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Aside from what others have said he could be violating local laws which may not allow for padlocking bedrooms for safety reasons. I would give him notice you will cut the locks if not removed.
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Of course, everybody above who states he is in the wrong is correct. I think the best way to handle this is to sympathize with him, and let him know that you agree that he has the right to put locks on the doors for his privacy and protection. Then follow it up by telling him you want to allow him to have locks wherever he feels is necessary, but the way he did it is not safe nor is it allowed by your lease (I assume your lease states no locks may be changed without permission. Let him know that all padlocks need to be removed (and fix any damage/immediately bill him for this). Then let him know for every door he wants a lock on, you will gladly have a keyed doorknob installed and provide him with a copy of the keys (this will be done at his own expense. also immediately billed to him). For your own sanity, you will probably make them all the same key.

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:
    Aside from what others have said he could be violating local laws which may not allow for padlocking bedrooms for safety reasons. I would give him notice you will cut the locks if not removed.

    This was one of my first thoughts also.  That's a major safety concern for anyone in that house, whether a resident or visitor.  He could accidentally...or, even scarier, on purpose...lock another person in a room.   Or, in the case of a fire, people in the home die because they can't get from the hallway and into those rooms, to escape through a door or window.

    Maybe if you explain it from that perspective, it will have more resonance with him.  But either those locks need to go or he needs to go.  I wouldn't be okay with padlocks on rooms...because of the safety concerns I mentioned...whether I was given keys or not.

  • Lender · Detroit, MI · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    @Cheryl Daniels that’s definitely a lease violation. Tenants have a very limited right to exclusion. If you want to play it easy, I would just get a copy of the keys. If you want to play hard, I’d charge to replace every door in the house that was damaged when they put a hole in it. Honestly, it sounds like something you should go pay a lawyer for an hour to advise you on your rights. Every state is different. In my market, they’d be replacing the doors.
  • Investor · Spokane Valley, WA · Member since 2014 · 175 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    I'd tread lightly... Be very weary if he ask you "does this rag smell like chloroform to you?".

    i usually tell them them that i have a cold and can't smell anything right now, i find that option works almost as well as calling local law enforcement as it's much nicer approach to the tenant.

    If you do wake up and find yourself behind a padlocked closet door, just remember that his lease expires at some point so he'll have to let you out eventually.

    Best of luck! =)

    But in all seriousness, this is not something you should treat lightly. And do please be careful when working with a tenant that feels like this is normal behavior. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Having keyed door knobs is one things....having padlocks on doors is a totally different animal.

    Lease violation to add/change locks without permission..... and I'd be moving to evict...this is just the beginning of the issues you will have....cut your losses now.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    I’m guessing he’s renting out rooms to individuals.....the most common need for locked bedrooms among unrelated tenants.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Cheryl Daniels padlocks on the outside of bedroom doors would be a fire code violation. Any door should be unlock-able from the inside without a key, so people can escape in an emergency. Whether you have a key or not, it is unsafe.

    It also leads to question of what is he trying to hide inside or who is he trying to keep inside? Did he let you into the room to inspect?

    I agree with @Thomas S. that you need to get rid of this guy. These locks are a sign of something deeper that cannot be fixed.

    I would cite him on a lease violation for fire safety and reinspect regularly to ensure they don't go back on. Don't renew the lease and if he refuses to remove the locks, evict him.

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 471 votes
    7y
    @Cheryl Daniels, since you manage the property yourself, you might try appealing to his Paranoia by telling him that there will be no contractors on the property without you present to watch them. Of course, who knows whether he trusts you!
  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Please tell me you demanded for him to unlock the doors so you could see the other side? The more I think about this, the more it would creep me out....what is he hiding? For all you know he could have kids locked in cages or strapped to beds in those rooms...... drugs....stolen merchandise......and all kinds of illegal and disgusting stuff.

    It may be that he's just a nut job, but can you imagine the horror of finding out later he had kids locked in there?

    I would demand to see the inside of those rooms....and have someone with me and my phone handy when he unlocks them

  • Real Estate Agent · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 169 votes
    7y
    @Cheryl Daniels where I’m at that’s typical to drug houses and other crime. They put locks on every door to slow police or rivals and allow a get away. Be weary of stuff like that. Don’t jump to conclusions, but know it’s a possibility and be on guard. You don’t go through all that trouble of installing those locks for nothing.
  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Cheryl Daniels Good for you for doing a routine inspection.   I'd demand that the locks be removed immediately, complete your inspection and repair the damages at his expense.  If he refuses start eviction and charge him for the damages.   I don't care why he did it, don't accept any excuses.  It's your house and you are allowing him to You need to screen the next tenant very well. 

  • Homeowner · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    Max T. Investor from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

    replied about 17 hours ago

    Yeah that is a lease violation for me.

    Thought so

    @Patrick Liska Im looking at a compromise. Thx.

    @Wesley W. The lease says alterations without written permission.

    @Sen A.That makes sense. I got to get moving on this situation.

    @Ryan Dosseyhas become a challenge. I check out tenant/landlord laws. But the lease prohibits changes without written permission.

    @Nathan GesnerI do feel as if I'm being tested. This is far more serious than I anticipated.

    @Anthony WickI did not realize letting him violate the lease with cause additional problems. Letter in the works. Thanks 

  • Homeowner · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Thomas S.At the confrontation, I had the sense something was off. Ive had the property for 3 years and he is an inherited tenant. I feel that you are correct. "Working" with him will result in my loss. Thank you!

    @Colleen F.I need to get my back up. Thanks.

    @Andrew B.Good advice. Thx.

    @Jennifer T.this is serious!!!!

    @Daniel Campbell I looking for a lawyer as well.

    @Shane H. Im definitely weary as I live in the building. Called my back up!

  • Homeowner · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Ned J.I will cut my losses. This is disturbing.

    @Wayne BrooksSomething is really off.

    @Joe SplitrockHe didn't.  But, this isn't worth putting others in harms way.

    @Alvin SylvainThat's what Im doing on my day off. 

    @Matt GreerThanks.

    @Bob B.I no longer feel comfortable. I'm writing a letter to remove locks and sending it via certified mail as well as putting it in his mailbox. Thanks!

    Thanks all. This situation is my first and admittedly I was very uncomfortable during the conversation. However, safety is of primary concern!

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y
    @Cheryl Daniels Tenants may refuse a landlord entry if they have not given proper legal notice to enter. RCW 59.18.150 also requires that tenants must make the unit available for entry when necessary for inspection or repairs.
  • East Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 41 votes
    7y

    When I use to put padlocks on my doors in houses I was renting it’s because I was growing weed in them. It’s more than personal privacy. You could change the doorknob for that

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.