I would never rent to any tenant that did not see the property first in person. This is one reason I do not rent to applicants living away looking to move to my area. If a applicant is not interested in seeing the property in person I do not take the risk of renting to them.
Technology is a lazy approach to our business in some cases, this being one.
Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
@Reggie Maggard
Never... I get a copy of their driver's license vis text and I just give them the code to the lockbox, they can look at it themselves...
Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 15 votes
7y
I have pictures of all the units on our website and as tenants leave I’m taking a video walking the property for my records. I typically send the video to the prospective tenant and have them fill out an application prior to a physical showing. It’s saved a lot of time wasted showing people who needed something different
I would never rent to any tenant that did not see the property first in person. This is one reason I do not rent to applicants living away looking to move to my area. If a applicant is not interested in seeing the property in person I do not take the risk of renting to them.
Technology is a lazy approach to our business in some cases, this being one.
I would never rent to any tenant that did not see the property first in person. This is one reason I do not rent to applicants living away looking to move to my area. If a applicant is not interested in seeing the property in person I do not take the risk of renting to them.
Technology is a lazy approach to our business in some cases, this being one.
noted...but, Im hyperfocused on automation of my business. thanks for reply
East Texas · Member since 2018 · 205 posts · 138 votes
7y
I am running into the same major problems in the showing aspect as well. I am located about 35 minutes from the property I am currently trying to rent so it adds a level of difficulty.
1-Everyone wants to see and tells me "I'm on the way!"------Never shows up. I believe I have wasted approximately 8 hours waiting for no one to show and not answer phone calls.
2-Those they do show up want to ask me to work with the deposit and do it in payments,which I will work with, and then they find out I perform credit and background checks via Cozy.co and they run like a scalded ape because "I cant afford a $39 credit check and background check." This tells me that they do not have the money to begin with.
I have pictures of all the units on our website and as tenants leave I’m taking a video walking the property for my records. I typically send the video to the prospective tenant and have them fill out an application prior to a physical showing. It’s saved a lot of time wasted showing people who needed something different
I started asking people to fill out applications prior to showing but i got a lot of "why would I fill out an application if I do not even know if I like the property or not?
I ask all my tenants to use my cozy link and as soon as I do that they never reply back. Its like they are adverse to technology but found my listing on facebook.
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Of course I do. I consider showing to be part of the screening process and, becuase I have high end rentals, I beleive the personal touch is why I have waiting lists and tenants tend to stay.
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
I want to add that I always win out over the big guys due to my personal touch. Prople dont like being just a number or faceless. They like knowing who they are paying.
Also i run my entire rental process via an online application. i have never had anyone not fill out the app after expressing firm interest.
I think the lazyness of some landlords is really starting to piss tenants off - it tells them that when something goes wrong the landlord will be just as responsive and hands off.
Anyway, it is a pet peeve of mine.
Oh and i lived 30 min from my properties and never had a hard time getting there. But i also check in the day of a showing to ensure people will show up.
I want to add that I always win out over the big guys due to my personal touch. Prople dont like being just a number or faceless. They like knowing who they are paying.
Also i run my entire rental process via an online application. i have never had anyone not fill out the app after expressing firm interest.
I think the lazyness of some landlords is really starting to piss tenants off - it tells them that when something goes wrong the landlord will be just as responsive and hands off.
Anyway, it is a pet peeve of mine.
Oh and i lived 30 min from my properties and never had a hard time getting there. But i also check in the day of a showing to ensure people will show up.
I always make my appointments or have had my property super make the appointment. Its the tenants who say, "I'm on the way and I'll be there in 20 minutes" to only not show up after waiting an hour and then not answering phone calls/texts/facebook messages which all can be seen if they are delivered and read or not.
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
@Justin K. that sucks. I guess it comes with the territory. I generally try to always have something else i can be doing so as not to waste my time completely. But i understand that may not be possible in all scenarios.
Knoxville, TN · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 12 votes
7y
@Reggie Maggard
Just do a one time group showing Wednesday from 1 to 4 pm for example people who are serious will show up. Whoever doesn’t, doesnt. Have applications at hand at the property and get their email to send applications if you have them online. Never do individual showings. To time consuming
Yuma, AZ · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 137 votes
7y
@Reggie Maggard I work a lot with my real estate agent. She will show my property per my instructions. I pay her for her work. Does not cost me much if anything but she is also my primary agent I have her involved with all my deals. They just want to get their beaks wet.
Investor · Roswell, GA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 17 votes
7y
@Reggie Maggard
I use a lockbox where I can generate a 1 time code that is only good for the day requested and only for two hours after it is entered.
I just ask for a copy of license before giving the code and call with after each showing. If by chance someone did damage the next showing would likely say something about it. My properties are in nicer areas and this approach might not work well in other parts of town.
The lockbox can be purchased below. Very affordable and no contract.
https://codeboxinc.com
@Reggie Maggard
I use a lockbox where I can generate a 1 time code that is only good for the day requested and only for two hours after it is entered.
I just ask for a copy of license before giving the code and call with after each showing. If by chance someone did damage the next showing would likely say something about it. My properties are in nicer areas and this approach might not work well in other parts of town.
The lockbox can be purchased below. Very affordable and no contract.
https://codeboxinc.com
Thank you for that! They may help me out a great deal!
Yuma, AZ · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 137 votes
7y
@Reggie Maggard not always but I give her couple hundred here and there. We have a good working relationship. And she wants to learn the business also. I do more than just rentals. I do flips, notes buy and hold.. and she makes money on both ends of the buy and sale. I'm not greedy. Just lazy I would rather her do the leg work for me. You learn as time goes by. Good luck.
Investor · Brentwood, TN · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 39 votes
7y
@Reggie Maggard we do a pretty in -depth phone screening - first question: tell me what you are looking for in a property to rent. Then several other questions - PM me if you want me to send you the list. Then we have them drive by and see if they like the outside and the neighborhood and then call us back. That screens out the tire kickers. Then as suggested by a couple others - we do group appointments, open house style. Get 3-4 people showing up a the same time and it creates a sense of urgency in getting their app in quickly. Remember: we have to process applications in the order which they were received.