Put a Bounty on Their Head

Put a Bounty on Their Head

Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes

So I picked up a 4 unit building in a lower income area earlier this year. I had some significant challenges when I took it over, (see https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/617743-shameless-self-pat-on-the-back) for more info.

I always like taking on challenges like this. I see self-managing rental properties as the ultimate in leadership challenges. It’s a true test of your metal when you can’t bark orders. You can’t threaten penalties all the time or they get numb to it. You need to think critically about how to inspire tenants to want to follow your lead.

One tool I wanted to share with the community that I’ve been using this year and that I’ve seen success with is my bounty program.

It’s hard for me to constantly be policing units that are 30+ min away each and every day. So what I do is I tell the tenants that if they catch another tenant doing something that is blatantly against the lease;

  • Throwing trash on the ground,
  • Not disposing of cigarettes in appropriate areas,
  • Destruction of property, etc;

I tell them to get a photo and or video of it and send it to me. If I can confirm it then I give them a discount off their next month’s rent.

So far no discounts have been needed to be given but I have noticed a complete stop to the shenanigans that were taking place when I first took the building over. I think the thought that the other tenants are keeping an eye on them discourages foolishness.

What are your thoughts BP?

12Reply
120 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

Snitches get stitches

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Doug Pintarch see now that's something I didnt even think of, brilliant!! DISCOUNTS FOR EVERYBODY!
  • Rental Property Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 369 posts · 406 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason D.:
    @Doug Pintarch see now that's something I didnt even think of, brilliant!! DISCOUNTS FOR EVERYBODY!

     We have a nice clean little community here Jason and we all get a discount on our rent 4-6 times a year depending on how creative we can get!       

    Seriously, if there's a way around a rule or a system, they'll figure it out to their benefit!  We all know that!

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    7y

    @Doug Pintarch @Jason D. 

    It's just an information pipeline being put down. How you act on that information is up to you. I choose to act on it quickly and unambiguously. 

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    7y

    Sounds like a situation that could go bad at any time for many reasons .

  • St. Helena, CA · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 59 votes
    7y
    Interesting policy, I’d be concerned that it would eventually lead to a conflict or manipulation. Keep us posted on how it works out, this is something that may take a while to fully evaluate.
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    Question: how do you verify? If they don't have a video of the person actually doing the deed, what is your method for proving that they did? Do you confront the tenant? Do you tell them "John next door saw you kicking the door"? ETC.

    Good marks for ingenuity but in my mind this has the capacity to go all kinds of wrong. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y

    Classic case of over thinking. Don't reinvent the wheel folks. Your job as a landlord is to landlord. Not parent or change the way people live.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I know this strategy!  The government of Oceania did the same thing!  They taught everyone that to be good party members, it's important to rat out any of their fellow man who doesn't follow the rules perfectly. Turn everyone against each other, divide and conquer.

    Next stop, you should put cameras in all the units to confirm they are behaving the way you want

    I wish you luck in your adventure towards totalitarianism!

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Felice and for my next move, raising rent for everyone and then sending out notices telling them that I actually lowered it :-D 

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    Classic case of over thinking. Don't reinvent the wheel folks. Your job as a landlord is to landlord. Not parent or change the way people live.

    I would say that I'm not parenting or changing the way people live, but instead inspiring them to conform to the rules and standards that I've put in place through self correction. It's like a self healing algorithm for the building. 

  • Investor · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 673 votes
    7y

    Interesting idea. Let us know how it works out over the long run. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I get what your are trying to achieve......and it's been working for some time for you..... but so far I think you've gotten lucky rather than have invented a great management plan.

    I would very much support with my tenants that I greatly appreciate them looking out for the property ....contacting me if there are any issues....but tagging some $$ on that for me seems like a horrible idea. $$ can be a great motivator for both good and bad....its only a matter of time before the bad shows itself.

    I can only imagine the carnage if I had a $$ incentive for my kids to police their siblings...... or rat on my wife or me.....

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    7y

    This is interesting concept. How did you go about letting the tenants know that all tenants would be keeping an eye out?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony R.:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    Classic case of over thinking. Don't reinvent the wheel folks. Your job as a landlord is to landlord. Not parent or change the way people live.

    I would say that I'm not parenting or changing the way people live, but instead inspiring them to conform to the rules and standards that I've put in place through self correction. It's like a self healing algorithm for the building. 

     lol. A for effort but we're going to have to agree to disagree.

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    7y

    @Melissa Gittens Shortly after I bought the building I started a rehab on each unit. As I moved from unit to unit I saw the daily shenanigans going on there. Then, someone broke a window in a common area. It was a pivotal moment because if I didn't act then it sends a message to the tenants that it's okay. 

    I asked each tenant to come out in the hallway where the broken window was and asked who did it. No one fessed up so I told them something along the lines of:

    "I'm not the old owner. I care about their quality of life and I care about the condition of the property. I won't tolerate destruction of building property and I won't tolerate blatant disregard for the standards I set in the lease. 

    If they care about these things too then if they see something, say something. Get a photo or a video of someone destroying building property and they'll get half off the coming months rent. Get a photo or video of someone leaving trash around and a smaller reward will be given off their rent" 

    I also incorporated a "Keep it Clean" initiative in everyone's lease that assigns each tenant a section of the building to keep clean. A small area, like the landing out their front or back door. This has worked really well also. 

    6 months after I implemented these policies, the "worst" tenant in the building was taking pride in the exterior of the building; picking up trash, hanging up halloween decorations, sweeping etc. All without being asked

  • Property Manager · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 250 posts · 258 votes
    7y

    @James Wise fair enough. You've built and manage a much larger portfolio so I obviously respect your opinion.

    That said, my motivation right now, outside of growing my rental holdings, is innovation. Throwing as much as I can at the wall and seeing what sticks. 90% might fail but that 10% that doesn't fail might end up being revolutionary. You only know by trying so we'll see! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Anthony R. your explanation of how this came about does not support your proposition that the bounties are the reason for the success.

    All of us who have successfully turned around buildings and tenancies have laid down the law. You laid down the law and the tenants realized that the games were over.

    You actually support my explanation- you have never had a tenant snitch. It is not about your silly program it is about a landlord who is not going to put up with the crap the old landlord did.

  • Windsor, Ontario · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 11 votes
    7y
    @Anthony R. It sounds interesting and kudos to your creativity. But one thing I would be concerned about is fake reports. You could potentially be paying a fake snitch and ruining the trust of a good tenant.
  • Investor · Mount Pleasant, MI · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Anthony R. One thing people seem to forget is that a rental is as much a home to the tenants as it is an investment to the owner. No one wants to be stressed out about their neighbors, and good tenants do not like to be spied upon. I see this working, but only for scammers that want reduced rent anyways. Good tenants do not trash rentals anyway. This might work for the lease term, but it will interesting to see the turnover rate after this policy.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I may have missed it, but I didn't see what constitutes as hard-proof for a tenant to turn in...as I would hope/expect just their word is not enough.

    Sounds like an interesting idea and the OP seems to be enjoying it, but for me, it just sounds like extra work. Maybe it's because I self-managed for the first 5-6 years of my REI years, but I've learned that I'm in this to make as passive income as possible with buy-and-holds. I'm not in this to change my career to full-time landlord/babysitter.

  • Rental Property Investor · Eden Prairie, MN · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    7y
    As a renter I would not sign a lease knowing my neighbors might be trying to “catch” me doing something against policy/lease. Curious to see how potential renters view this during turnover.
  • Rental Property Investor · Fairbanks, AK · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    @Matt Cecil I’m gonna put a bounty on your head, and tell all your neighbors you sell life insurance in retirement homes.
  • Rental Property Investor · Eden Prairie, MN · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    7y
    @Colten Thiel Look at this guy trolling! Don’t make me take a screenshot and send it to my landlord!
  • Rental Property Investor · Fairbanks, AK · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Matt Cecil hahaha who knew we'd reconnect on a BP forum after college! Glad to see you on here buddy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.