Tenant's dog attacked my husband!

Tenant's dog attacked my husband!

Landlord · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 58 votes

Two weeks ago my tenant's dog (listed on her lease) attacked my husband as he dropped by to deliver a Christmas basket (no good deed goes unpunished?).  Jumped up and went for my husband's throat/neck but fortunately my husband was able to duck and instead got bit in the face and mouth (rather than a potentially fatal neck wound).  My husband turned to run and was then bit on the backside twice before tenant could restrain dog.  Authorities were notified and dog was quarantined for 10 days but is now back at the house.  After discussing with our attorney, we decided to withdraw consent for the animal as this places us at risk of liability for potential future attacks, since we know now how vicious the animal can be, even when unprovoked.  Our lease gives us the option to revoke consent for the animal, providing 30 days notice to the tenant.  We have offered her 30 day notice to get rid of him, as well as the option to terminate the lease early without penalty if she doesn't want to get rid of the dog (which we don't have to do, but are doing so out of kindness).   I have emailed, texted, called and sent a certified letter, but still no response from tenant whatsoever.  We are obviously hesitant to go to the house in person out of fear of future attacks but I know hiring an eviction is expensive, and we are not to that stage yet - just want to communicate with her on her plans.  Attorney says we can threaten to sue for injuries from dog if tenant is uncooperative, but we want to avoid that, and an eviction, if at all possible.  Any suggestions?  I am honestly shocked that our tenant is being so avoidant/elusive, with how kind we are being given the circumstance!!  We could certainly go after her just for my husband's medical bills, but instead are being kind and understanding - but getting very frustrated at her lack of reply!

10Reply
246 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
7y

@Sarah B. First, I am so sorry this happened and I hope your husband heals up fast.  Ok, now I get mean.

1. This is another reason you REQUIRE renters insurance.  Do you know if they have it?  If they do you need to let your insurance company know so they can go after them.

2. I am probably suing them if this is me.  Sorry,  well behaved and safe animals do not do this kind of thing.

3. I am also contacting the police and local animal control and seeing what can be done to get the animal put down.  That will depend on state but in many, an animal that attacks like that is DONE (AND THEY SHOULD BE) that could have been a kid and it could have killed them..

4. ALSO I am evicting them.  There are several items in the lease probably covered by this.

See this reply in the discussion

95 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    Personally I would ask the tenant to leave if they aren’t being cooperative. One more olive branch, giving them another 30 days or something just to give them a solid chance, but say you will sue for damages if they don’t leave. Feels like that solid potential for a lawsuit gives you great leverage with them and ultimately it’s a win for everyone if they just leave.

    Normally I’d suggest cash for keys but with the lawsuit leverage doesn’t seem necessary. The eviction shouldn’t be either but if so, just handle it in a 100% business professional way and try to recoup your losses via lawsuit.

  • Wholesaler · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2015 · 459 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    We have neighbor that has a Cane Corso. You are very lucky your husband wasn't killed. They only walk the dog at night, after 9:00pm or in the middle of the day when children aren't around. 

    Get that renter out of there, no matter the expense,..which is probably a couple thousand, at least where I live.

  • Brookfield, WI · Member since 2016 · 191 posts · 108 votes
    7y

    As a landlord, I wouldn't allow that breed either.  As a dog owner, the Cane Corso is as docile as most mastiffs (generally a docile animal), and I would own one.  the issue is they are large, and highly protective, and similar to Rottweilers, need more exercise than people think.  When powerful dogs react in a protectionary way, it can be very dangerous, even if the intent isn't .  I really hate people that get "dangerous" breeds and don't know anything about them or get proper training on how to handle them.  anyway,  All that said, everyone here is right, file a report on the animal, go after the tenant or their insurance for the damages (this also gives you some leverage if it drags out), and send the eviction notice letter.  the action can be stopped if they get their crap in order and provide you a plan for removal of the animal, or lease termination, if not, get the process started formally.

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I'm a veterinarian....... Cane Corso's are mean MF's..... I wont examine one w/o a muzzle....period....no exceptions... I don't care how nice and friendly it looks at first. Don't like it? F-off....take your dog somewhere else.....

    I examine 90% of pits with no issues.......

    The Cane Corso is the "up and coming 'I'm a badass" breed to have...... they are impressive physically.....but socially they are completely untrustworthy..... total POS....... it doesn't help that a large % of people that want them are less than stellar when it comes to training and socialization.

    I would evict....sue..... and be on the phone to animal control every week until they actually do their job....

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    And for all the people that are saying "its all the owner's fault....not the dog's".....sorry, but I'm calling total BS on that fantasy. The fantasy of "there is no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner: is total horseshit.......total fantasy....riding a unicorn over a rainbow delusion

    Just like humans....behavior and personality are both influence by genetics and environment....not just one or the other.

    I've been a vet for 24 years now.....seen thousands of dogs. I've had owners that have raised dozens of dogs over the years....had owner that only ever have one breed....sometimes multiple at a time...some breed..... some have dozens of dogs at the same time

    I've had fantastic owners who end up having absolute POS of dogs....same people...same environment.....same breed.....and one is an absolute sweetheart and the other in the house is a total POS...sometimes different breeds in the same house....same time...same owners...... they raised them the same....are responsible pet owners..... don't beat their animals or don't socialize them....but they still get a total a$$hole of a pet sometimes.......

    Genetics absolutely play a huge role....... certain breeds are genetically designed to be a certain way.....looks, and/or personality. When an animal has the desired trait, that animal is bred and the genes are more likely (not guaranteed) to be passed on. Over decades and sometime hundreds of years, that genetic trait becomes more and more ingrained in that breed and doesn't just disappear overnight.

    You can have a great environment and horrible genes and turn out to be a POS and visa versa......

    Pits, Rotts, Cane Corso etc were genetically bred to be aggressive....doesn't mean they are ALL aggressive.....doesn't mean that they are ALL dangerous.....but they ALL have the genetic background that makes that potentially higher than a lot of other breeds. Just because a gene is present doesn't mean its always expressed

    Behavior is genetics AND environment....so stop pinning it on one or the other......

  • New to Real Estate · Salem oregon · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Jim K. its irrelevant what kind of dog it is
  • New to Real Estate · Salem oregon · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Sarah Buchanan I know your getting alot of people recommending to sue, but me personally, I wouldn't you did approve the dog to be in the house, I do have some questions do you like the renters are they good payers? I would put this into affect and I do think the dog should be removed, i would go over there, be cautious of the dog, and talk to them face to face about the situation.
  • New to Real Estate · Salem oregon · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Vincent Popovski I have bin waiting for this comment thank you, I was going to put something about i,t i 100% agree
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Erwin:
    @Jim K. its irrelevant what kind of dog it is

    Ringing bell...

    "Zee plane! Zee plane!"

  • Specialist · Missoula, MT · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 44 votes
    7y
    I read most of this thread enough to reply and I love dogs. Great advice here. Especially the first responders, dog attacks can be pretty severe. Don't delay whatever you choose. As far as dog breeds and viciousness. I believe it does come down to the owner. However I think breed has to do more with capability not temperament. Example: There is no doubt a Pitbull can rip my throat out with it's massive jaw muscles the question is; Does the dog know he can rip my throat out? The opposite would be a Chihuahua who thinks he can rip my throat out, but my foot disagrees. Some people treat there dogs like dogs and some people treat their dogs like legitimate members of the family. Good luck.
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Vincent Popovski:

    Not to go on a rant, but I am going to chime in a little more. Hatred in dogs is taught, not bred. I have a big education in dog training. This can happen with ANY breed of dog if not properly socialized. If that is the case with this dog (and clearly it is) look at it from the dog's point of view. The dog considers that apartment its home, its territory, it was protecting its place. If this dog was properly socialized, this wouldn't have happened.

    I don't have dog "education" but I DO have a lot of college education, a significant portion of which was in graduate level statistics. The fact of the matter is that certain breeds are statistically more likely to be aggressive and attack than others, regardless of what you FEEL about dog socialization. It's a genetic and statistical FACT.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greater Boston Area · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 105 votes
    7y

    As some have said already, I would just remember this is a business and should be run as such. I completely understand wanting to be nice and understanding for the tenant, but ultimately it is a business and should be treated as such. Action should be as needed to alleviate the situation.

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jack B.......I agree with you....read my post above. Genes AND environment both play a role.....

    But not to be nitpicky, but your graph doesn't really prove your statement that Pit bulls are factually more aggressive..... it proves that when they are, they are the most dangerous.....when they do attack they are the leading lethal attack. They are not the leading breed in reported dog bites...think the last stats I recall it was the cocker spaniel?, I may be wrong....but it wasn't the Pit. Leading lethal., yes...leading attack/bite, then no....

    You would have to pull up stats that accounts for the difference in the comparative numbers of animals of a certain breed in the US (i.e there are way more cockers labs, Chihuahua's than pits) vs the actual reported attacks/bites. Those stats probable exist somewhere

    Again...I agree with you....Pits are generically prone to be more aggressive than other breeds.....doesn't meant they ALL are.....but its in their genes.

  • Real Estate Agent · Troy, MI · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @Jack B.

    Jack, I am fully aware there have been many more pitbull bites, I get that.

    But it also the MOST ABUSED dog breed EVER. When these dogs are beaten to all hell, TAUGHT to fight, what do you think will happen later on, man? Unfortunately it is redirected later on in life. The current owners have to be knowledgeable on how to handle a dog. For gods sake, even Mike Vick’s dogs were rehabilitated. Have a more open mind.

    To say it’s a genetic fact, just from that chart you provided, and not knowing that dogs past, is complete BS.

    If I get a dog that is meant for hunting, say a German Shorthaired Pointer, and I go shoot a bird...that dog will have NO IDEA to go retrieve that bird unless it went through all the training necessary. I have friends that have put their hunting dogs through a month of training so the dog can learn what to do.

    It goes the same with any of the power breeds. Unless it is TAUGHT to be aggressive, chances are it will not be. The only reason the dog makes a good fighting dog is cause of its sheer muscle and strength. Any dog will get DOG or PEOPLE aggression (two completely different things, by the way) if they have been abused like Pitbulls have. Period.

    Moderator, close this thread already. OP got her answer long time ago.

  • Steinhatchee, FL · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 69 votes
    7y

    Pit bull attack just a few days ago in Wellington. “I’ve never seen them act that way since I’ve had them. They’ve always been so timid and loving,” if Ive heard that argument once, Ive heard it a million times. 

    https://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-palm-beach-county/wellington/family-of-pit-bulls-facing-possible-euthanasia-asks-for-forgiveness

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ned J.:

    @Jack B.......I agree with you....read my post above. Genes AND environment both play a role.....

    But not to be nitpicky, but your graph doesn't really prove your statement that Pit bulls are factually more aggressive..... it proves that when they are, they are the most dangerous.....when they do attack they are the leading lethal attack. They are not the leading breed in reported dog bites...think the last stats I recall it was the cocker spaniel?, I may be wrong....but it wasn't the Pit. Leading lethal., yes...leading attack/bite, then no....

    You would have to pull up stats that accounts for the difference in the comparative numbers of animals of a certain breed in the US (i.e there are way more cockers labs, Chihuahua's than pits) vs the actual reported attacks/bites. Those stats probable exist somewhere

    Again...I agree with you....Pits are generically prone to be more aggressive than other breeds.....doesn't meant they ALL are.....but its in their genes.

    A dog breed that is not the largest yet kills 10-30 times more people than a much larger dangerous breed and somehow you claim the chart just proves they are just the most deadly. Yeah, they are 10-30 times more deadly in killing ability than other large breeds that are dangerous...it has nothing to do with how many attacks there are...riiiight.

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jack B.

    Your chart only shows the number of deadly attacks...... not the most attacks.....but your statement implies that they have the most attacks....which they don't....they just have the most deadly attacks on record

    So you could have 100,000 attacks by Chihuahuas every year and 1 death......

    vs

    1000 Pitbull attacks and 200 deaths

    So which bred is more prone to attack? Has a higher rate of aggression leading to an attack?

    Just pointing out that the graph you choose to use doesn't actually support your statement..... your statement may be 100% accurate...... but the graph you choose doesn't prove that......

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.