Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 84 votes
7y
As a pet owner in Austin I've seen the usual is $300-500 as a pet deposit and at the end of the least if there is no pet damages you MAY get back half of the deposit but. Also any additional pets would be a nonrefundable $200-300. Austin loves it's pets. I highly suggest renting to pet owners here. Some places add on $15-25 a month per pet too but as a renter that would just turn me away from the property unless I REALLY like it or am cramped on time. You definitely want to charge enough for deposits and such to help cover cleaning and light damage repair but at the same time if you charge too much people will just bring their pets in and never tell you about it. I'd rather have an honest and happy pet owner then a soiled house from a pet with no pet deposit money to help clean it back up!
Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Hey Jordan, I've seen pet deposits range from $200 per pet to $500 a pet. Pet rents could be $25 per pet to $50 per pet. Most properties I have leased to clients have focused more on pet deposits (or pet fees if non-refundable). Hope this helps!
Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
@Jordan Moorhead I charge $300 per pet and no pet rent. I have seen asking pet deposits of $500 and pet rents of $25. I don't really want to deter folks from applying at my properties by setting up barriers. I prefer to get the highest qualified tenant so that I can be choosy and have zero headaches. I have rented to great tenants for years that had a little pet and had excellent credit. I would prefer those folks. If those folks see pet rents or a high deposit as an issue then I don't need the $25 that bad. Its better to have good long term tenants, imo.
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 84 votes
7y
As a pet owner in Austin I've seen the usual is $300-500 as a pet deposit and at the end of the least if there is no pet damages you MAY get back half of the deposit but. Also any additional pets would be a nonrefundable $200-300. Austin loves it's pets. I highly suggest renting to pet owners here. Some places add on $15-25 a month per pet too but as a renter that would just turn me away from the property unless I REALLY like it or am cramped on time. You definitely want to charge enough for deposits and such to help cover cleaning and light damage repair but at the same time if you charge too much people will just bring their pets in and never tell you about it. I'd rather have an honest and happy pet owner then a soiled house from a pet with no pet deposit money to help clean it back up!
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
I charge a $100 per deposit, $35 cleaning fee (up front), and $20/month per pet for pet rent. I sometimes discount the pet rent for multiple pets. For example $30/month for 2 pets.