Investor · Prosper, TX · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 3 votes
I would like a contractor to do some tree work on my first rental next week. The quote is $1900 cash or check. I just learned about filling out a form 1099 for contractor payments of over $600. It looks like I can avoid the form 1099 if I pay by credit card or Paypal, which I am tempted to do. However he will charge more in that case.
How much extra is it worth paying by credit card to avoid the form 1099? I also get 1.5% reward on my card and it's easier tracking credit card expenses.
Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2012 · 106 posts · 103 votes
7y
@Nathan Gomes
The 1099 takes about a minute to fill out. HOWEVER, the challenge will be that you need to get a W-9 from the contractor, which gives you their legal name, address and tax ID number for reporting the payment. If they are avoiding taxes, they won’t give you the info.
Flipper/Rehabber · Westfield, NJ · Member since 2018 · 111 posts · 84 votes
7y
@Nathan G. You should just double check that with your accountant. I have not heard of avoiding the 1099 by paying with a credit card. The 1099 is to report payments to a contractor for which they have to pay taxes. The only way for them to reflect less income is by a payment in cash, which is why they give you a discount. Not sure the same holds true for credit cards. But lmk!
@Nathan G. You should just double check that with your accountant. I have not heard of avoiding the 1099 by paying with a credit card. The 1099 is to report payments to a contractor for which they have to pay taxes. The only way for them to reflect less income is by a payment in cash, which is why they give you a discount. Not sure the same holds true for credit cards. But lmk!
It’s true that you don’t have to send 1099’s if paying by credit card or PayPal. Here’s some more reading on it:
Investor · Prosper, TX · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 3 votes
7y
Thanks for the replies.
My question simplified is--how much time and money do 1099s require to complete and file? I would prefer to avoid that and have the payment processor do the 1099-Ks. I'll ask an accountant later this week as well.
Investor · Lewisville, TX · Member since 2012 · 106 posts · 103 votes
7y
@Nathan Gomes
The 1099 takes about a minute to fill out. HOWEVER, the challenge will be that you need to get a W-9 from the contractor, which gives you their legal name, address and tax ID number for reporting the payment. If they are avoiding taxes, they won’t give you the info.
Real Estate Consultant · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 201 votes
7y
@Nathan G. If you have somebody handling your books, ask if they offer 1099 filing (usually they do) since bookkeeping usually handle the majority of work so it should cause you just a little extra. In my experience, the challenging part is gathering the tax info from the vendors so it's a good practice to make W-9 a standard requirement for all your contractor.
Software like QBO offers 1099 filing, so once you check the box in the vendor setup to track 1099 payments and enter the tax info, filing should be easier. Depending on the number of contractors, the filing fee usually ranges from $1-$5 per form plus the labor hours.
Flipper/Rehabber · Westfield, NJ · Member since 2018 · 111 posts · 84 votes
7y
@Kyle J. Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't aware of that. I don't pay my vendors my credit card or PayPal but that's great to know.
@Nathan G. after running around like a chicken with my head cut off last year, I learned to collect all of the information I will need to complete a 1099 in the contract at the start of the job.