Reducing Rent Every Month If No Maintenance Calls

Reducing Rent Every Month If No Maintenance Calls

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 7 votes

Hi Everyone,

In a lot of the books I am reading, as well as some of the podcasts I have listened to, many landlords have talked about adding a clause to their leases to give anywhere from $25 to $100 a month back to the tenant if they handle maintenance issues themselves. 

Has anyone had success in doing this? Are there any nuances to this approach? What does the legalise look like in your leases? 

-Emmett

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

I cannot imagine hating my assets so much that I would allow a tenant to hire some idiot off the street to destroy them.

And then reward the destruction of my property by devaluing it through rent reduction.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
    7y

    Some of these replies are hilarious. I agree that you should not do this.

  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    7y

    I wouldn't want tenants to be responsible for making repairs because that means they will cut corners. Definitely NOT worth it.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    How many tenants does it take to change a light bulb? Three: one to set the ladder up, one to hold the ladder and the other one to burn the house down.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Emmett O. What book(s) gave that advice? And what podcast(s)?
    *Hopes it wasn't a BP podcast*

    Anyone can write a book. It doesn't mean they actually know what they're doing. The advice in question is horrible. Don't take it.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    7y

    Maintenance is one of the hardest things to do.  I bet most Tenants will call you to fix things that are broken, which is very different of what maintenance is about - be proactive and not wait until they degrade to the point of major fixes or replacement.  

    Proper maintenance is key for the usual life of any particular equipment to last.  

    You can let the Tenant provide maintenance or fix things of less than $50.  BTW I put that in my leases.  I would not let the Tenant hire or work with anything related to water/leaks, or electrical for obvious reason.  

    For good/OK properties, 5% on your $1500 rent, equals $75/month.  Are you giving them the authority to spend $75/month and be in charge of your assets?  What if they hire a contractor with no liability/insurance and they injured during the maintenance call?  Big big no!  You may be risking your investment just to save a couple bucks/month.  

    I wouldn't do it.  Make them change burned bulbs, air filters, and the like using their money.

    If you pay them for no "service call", you are promoting even less maintenance in your property.  It just doesn't make sense.  

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I'm late to the chain so I might be repeating what other people have said, but I would never want my tenants handling maintenance on their own. They could either just not fix things or if they do fix them, they could do so with terrible quality. All of which could cost me a lot later. So it costs me a lot later AND I was paying them every month to do so? Nooooo. I wouldn't do it.

  • Contractor · Totowa, NJ · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Emmett Ogiony

    This sounds like the right incentive for annoying tenants who want to bother you about every single issue.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 189 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Veronica Martin trusting a tenant to replace air filters. That’s a funny joke

  • Real Estate Broker · San Marcos, CA · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @keithnelson When you know how screen residents properly and have a system in place to check,relying on a tenant to do basic maintenance is simple. Not a “joke” just successology.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.