Do we have to fix this laundry room?

Do we have to fix this laundry room?

Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes

Hi BP! I just inherited my third set of tenants. They have lived in the property 12 years. Never had their rent raised. Don’t have a security deposit and are month to month. The property needs a complete rehab as they seem to be hoarders and everything is filthy and outdated. Literally everything has to be ripped out.

When I called to introduce myself they said the hot water didn’t work and the kitchen sink had very low water pressure. I got those two things fixed within the hour of hanging up the phone. I sent them a new lease for them to sign for a year. I am not asking for a security deposit since the place needs to be gutted anyway. Our plan is once the lease is up to give them a few months to move out and completely renovate the property to either sell it or refi and raise the rent price.

The previous landlords never bothered to fix anything for them. She seems pretty pissed about that, which I would be too. Now she emails me saying the laundry machine is “still” draining out the window and no one has fixed it. Also there is a shed (if you can call it that) that’s pretty destroyed from a hurricane Florida had several years ago. She wants that fixed as well. She also asked for a copy of the inspection report to make sure the property is “safe” to live in. I definitely won’t be sending that. The property is safe. The shed I will fix for sure because it’s a safety hazard. I will remove it completely. I don’t want them going inside and having it fall on them. But the laundry, I’m not sure. If the laundry machines are not ours then are we forced to fix that? I’d rather wait until next year when we fully rehab it. But maybe having it drain out the window will cause another issue? Just wanted to get everyone’s input.

Thanks!

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 82 votes
7y

@Elenis C. If it were me I would fix everything that is a safety hazard and make sure the living condition is safe all around. The laundry machine shouldn’t be draining out a window so I would fix that so it drains properly through a pipe going through the floor or wall. After that I would just make a list of things that need to be fixed and just let her know that you will fix everything that is a potential safety hazard. I wouldn’t send her any inspection records of any kind. As far as all the other stuff that needs to be fixed just make a note about it on your end and address it when she moves out. Just because tenants tell us they want things fixed doesn’t always mean we are going to jump out of our seat to go fix it. Tenants are clients and just because a client asks for something doesn’t mean they are going to make us spend money on our business. Businesses have budgets that have be stuck to or else the business suffers and the client/tenant could be effected by not having a home to live in because of bad money management. If that makes since? Obviously don’t be rude or mean about it but landlords don’t have all the money in the world to do everything someone asks. Hopefully that is helpful in someway. Love to hear back what you think?

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 82 votes
    7y

    @Elenis C. If it were me I would fix everything that is a safety hazard and make sure the living condition is safe all around. The laundry machine shouldn’t be draining out a window so I would fix that so it drains properly through a pipe going through the floor or wall. After that I would just make a list of things that need to be fixed and just let her know that you will fix everything that is a potential safety hazard. I wouldn’t send her any inspection records of any kind. As far as all the other stuff that needs to be fixed just make a note about it on your end and address it when she moves out. Just because tenants tell us they want things fixed doesn’t always mean we are going to jump out of our seat to go fix it. Tenants are clients and just because a client asks for something doesn’t mean they are going to make us spend money on our business. Businesses have budgets that have be stuck to or else the business suffers and the client/tenant could be effected by not having a home to live in because of bad money management. If that makes since? Obviously don’t be rude or mean about it but landlords don’t have all the money in the world to do everything someone asks. Hopefully that is helpful in someway. Love to hear back what you think?

  • Real Estate Agent · West Chester, PA · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 46 votes
    7y

    @Elenis C.

    I would fix where the washer drains. It’s not good for the environment draining there and will cause more issues for the home in the future. Termites love moisture.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    If you are planning on renovating everything once they move out in a year, as Jason said deal with anything that is a safety risk or  will cause further damage to the home.  If you plan on keeping the laundry where it is, then putting the correct plumbing in now will save you from doing it later.  Having laundry will be good in the long run.  Plus if they are draining out of the window, what damage is it doing the the house?  If the machines are the tenant's then you are not responsible for any repairs to the machines themselves.

    Taking down the shed and not replacing it, is a good move.

    If they are signing a one year lease, check the local laws; but give them proper notice that you are not going to renew it.  Typically that is 30-60 days before it expires.  With the new lease, I'd suggest putting the fact that there is no security deposit in the lease so they don't try to claim it back.

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    @Elenis Camargo I agree with other replies.  Fix the laundry drain issue.   Get rid of the shed.  Do whatever other work you can do with them there (things like exterior painting, clean up, roof work etc) and have a plan to get them out and get the property fixed and rents raised!  

  • Manassas, VA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Well if you don't own the laundry you could fix it by uninstalling it and telling them to go to the laundry mat to wash their clothes. I don't know any requirement to provide laundry service especially if they don't have a current lease that says you will provide it. I would just not renew their lease though. If they are bringing up safety concerns and they are hoarders who knows how much damage could be done in the next year and how much your going to spend piecing together repairs for a property you are going to gut anyway. Start fresh with a new tenant that will take care of the property.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Jason Waldo Thanks for your input! Yes for sure I will fix whatever is a safety hazard, like the shed, I just wasn’t sure about the laundry machine issue since they aren’t ours anyway. I assume she’ll come back with more surprises later on so I’ll for sure pick and choose what we should and should not do.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Kyle McKnett Good point about the termites and just not being good for the environment. Didn’t think of that. Thanks for your input!

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris Good point, I’ll have to have laundry there anyway.

    Yes in the lease we put $0 security deposit and we had an estoppel agreement signed beforehand that stated they gave no deposit. We are covered on that end :) thanks for your input!

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Richard Sherman Thanks for your input! Yes we want to wait on all the major work till they move out so that we can knock it out in one shot.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Micheal Begeman I thought about that as well but that would require me to spend $25k right now to renovate. I want to pay off what I spend in the closing costs before putting anything else in the house. That’s why the one year period was the plan. But yeah I’ll be careful about their safety concerns and all that. I think they are just trying to be a pain since they’ve had issues with previous landlords.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dyersburg, TN · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Elenis C. You need to fix the washer drain bc it could lead to new damages/issues. However, I think the bigger picture is that you have an inherited tenant living in a home that needs considerable improvements, by your own admission. Your tenant sounds like he/she is going to be a habitual complainer and never be satisfied. I’m afraid they are going to nickel and dime you over repairs the entire time they stay. I tend to go ahead and get rid of those inherited tenants if they do much complaining vs renewing a new term. Then do all the repairs/improvements, raise the rent and select a tenant I’m comfortable with.

  • Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 45 votes
    7y

    @Elenis C.

    I would fix immediate health and safety issues and issue a letter stating you are not going to renew their m2m lease according to your state laws and regulations.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 139 posts · 136 votes
    7y

    I would at minimum install the correct discharge pipe for the washer. All it takes is for one time for the hose to unclip from the window, and all the water discharges onto the floor.

    And they happened to be at Disney World for the day.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Elenis Camargo

    It makes sense to wait a year to save up for the renos.  It also gives you time to plan.  Plus the tenants have been there for years and are paying the rent.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Depends. In general, laundry water goes into the drain. But, this can vary according to the house and local law. We grew up in a 1970s house that drained the laundry into the sump crock, and from there it got pumped on the lawn. Maybe your current set-up is some version of that and pumping the water on the lawn is what is done there (via the window instead of through the wall). I might start by seeing if the current set-up is harmful or unlawful. Or, maybe I would just simply re-route the water to the drain...I dunno. We might spend more time here talking about it than it would take to complete the task. Good Luck!

    As for your hoarders...maybe that was why the prior owner never did anything. Tough to fix something if you can't get at it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @John Coon

    I agree . Fix the immediate maintenance safety stuff and as soon as feasible as long as you can affford a turnover -get them out

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    I would have put them on month to month , and if you have to move up the rehab schedule , you do .   Fix the wash drain

  • Ayne C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 251 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    @Elenis C.

    I would do a MTM lease at a slightly higher rate with these tenants. Don't tie yourself to these folks for a whole year, who knows what they are like. The year lease will protect them more than protect you. If they are hoarders and long tenured they won't be in a rush to leave anyway. If they know you plan on fixing things they shouldn't balk much at the higher rent.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Derek Guivehchi Yes, they definitely seem like that kind of tenant. The only reason it needs improvements is because of their living habits the past 12 years. I saw pics of before they moved in and it's like night and day!! But yes, totally agree that with these kind of tenants it's best to move on from them. I'll go ahead and fix the laundry room. Thanks for your input!

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed Oh I never thought about that one. Good point! Thanks  :)

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris Right. I'll keep them there for now and renovate as we planned. I'll just have to be very selective of my replies.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Ayne C. They haven't had their rent raised in 12 years. I raised it $5 to make it an even $1100 and omg they complained SO MUCH!! I was like for this it wasn't even worth the $5 increase. Anyway I'll keep them there for now and fix what we need in order to follow our plan. Thanks for the input.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Elenis Camargo. My name is Cedric. I’m new to this investing world. You think you could give me some tips.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    7y

    Why not have them move out NOW?

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y

    @Cedric Nelson Sure, PM me what you're looking to do and we can talk  :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.