How do you "harden" your rentals?

How do you "harden" your rentals?

Chuck B.Pro Member
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes

Dear Pocketers,

How do you harden / bullet-proof your rentals?

While I've never had anyone utterly trash a rental of mine, I've seen the damage they can do first hand (typically when buying the rental and seeing what the previous occupants did to it). Here are a few of the things I do:

One of my favorites, and easiest to do, is that I "frame" all wire racks, their support rods, towel holders, toilet paper holders, etc. using backer wood that is mounted to studs. If it's very visible, we'll route the edges and paint it like trim. If it's in a closet, it just gets wall color. This way, if the kids hang off the coat racks or someone abuses the towel holders, they may yank the hardware down, but it doesn't leave holes in the wall. It's also much harder to destroy them in the first place. Note the towel holder mounting:

When first buying a property, if it's easily accessible, I'll replace copper with Pex (plastic) plumbing from the get go, even if the copper is OK. I don't have to worry about it freezing and it's not a crime target.

We cage all of our A/C units now using custom fabricated 2 inch square tube, typically mounting them into the wall so the bolts have to be released from inside. I also lock exterior A/C circuit boxes and label the units, cage and circuit box with A/C specific alarm stickers that I had made up.

I will frequently install an inexpensive alarm system (not monitored) which gives me peace of mind between tenants and acts as a selling point when showing the units.

I've doubled up on door stops (to prevent doorknobs from going into walls). While I use the standard springy ones that mount into baseboard still, they tend to be targets for kids and end up missing, so I back these up with the plastic circles that affix to the wall where the handle would hit. (These are also great for just covering a previously made hole where the door knob hit the wall) They're expensive though, so I've started buying large, bulk packages of plastic, foam-backed pads that you set furniture on, and simply using double sided tape behind these. These cost maybe 30 cents apiece where the purpose built ones cost $3 apiece.

If I have to renovate a bathroom, I no longer use the plastic/fiberglass shower inserts. I've seen people put holes into both the tubs and crack the walls of these. For just a couple hundred more I'll have an iron tub installed and we'll tile the shower. It's a lot more attractive and seems to be a lot more durable in the long run.

What tricks have you learned to "harden" your own rentals?

Best,
- Chuck

60Reply
2,423 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
14y

Avoid carpet wherever possible. I have begun using allure flooring. It's attractive and allegedly very durable, a 25 year floor. It's floating and waterproof.

Yard: Make as much as possible, mower maintainable. Limit / remove trees and shrubs whenever possible.

Plumbing fixtures: Use shedule 40 drain pipes under bathroom and kitchen sinks with a wye cleanout. I have had so many leaks with the screw together pipe over the years.

Bathroom remodels: Remove any bathroom windows that reside inside a shower enclosure. They can be a massive maintenance headache. Install a fart fan to bring it up to code.

Gas lines: remove all unused fuel runs. Run electric for dryer and stove if electric not present.

Security: 4 inch screws in the latches of all exterior doors. Makes it a little tougher for them to get in and steal my copper.

Storm doors, if present: have chains installed so they can't whip wide open and trash the closers. Be clear with the tenant, they're on the hook for it if anything happens. It's best to remove them altogether.

Appliances: NEVER an icemaker. They make up 50% of appliance service calls. NO THANKS!

If having a furnace installed, pay the extra 10-25 and have a filter rack installed. Makes changing the filter much much easier.

Wish I learned these things on day 1.

See this reply in the discussion

380 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    The dishwasher is not causing any water problems and works just fine. I generally don't supply ANY appliances unless I have to and I would not buy brand new appliances every 2 years; that's a waste of money. If a dishwasher was there before, I'm not going to leave a gaping hole in the cabinets. Other than that the tenants can supply their own washer, dryer, refrigerator, and range.

    I tried the smart key locks once, but they were like $45 and I can buy 2 sets of same-keyed locks for $15 each when they are on sale. The smart key locks just don't pay for themselves.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jeffrey C.:
    I have the smart key locks on my own home and would never put them on a rental as I have too many problems with them. I have been locked out of my home twice because the lock did not recognize my key. I had to finally buy the tool to reset the tumblers after half a dozen trips to Home Depot for them to fix them in the next town an hour round trip.

    jeffrey, what's the name of that tool? i had the same problem on one house. my key would work on the lower lock, but not deadbolt (front door). the back door would be reversed. and yet, both were set the same.

    so i might need that tool. how do you use it?

    Dawn, that would make no sense where i am. they ask "Oh, there are no appliances? i can't rent without them".

    i just had a washer go bad and the tenant wanted me to change it although it was in the lease that i am not responsible to replace a washer. and i did because i had a used one.

    I buy the lint socks from HD and give them out to the tenants. they are around $3 for 2 and last a few washings. I have not found a good way to prevent the lint from going down the drain. that causes many clogs..

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    George P. You might be suprised to find how many tenants have their own stove and fridge. Especially if they had a foreclosure or short sale on their last house.

    I try not to provide any appliances. If they need a stove and fridge, I will supply used ones and up the rent. Most people are ok with buying their own or they already have them. I never put in a washer or dryer. Only one time when I only had room for a stackable. If I buy a house that has a washer and dryer, I sell them on CL. It's just more stuff that will break that I don't want to deal with.

    Half these people look like they rarely wash their clothes anyway. Some of them increase two sizes every six months. They don't need a washer or dryer. They just get bigger clothes.

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2012 · 592 posts · 285 votes
    13y

    The problem isn't so much with the lock itself. They are with the keys the are cut. If they aren't an exact match to the master than it won't work. I always try to use the master original key to get copies. Even then sometimes they don't get cut right. Usually HD or Lowes have 2 cutters. I ask that they cut 3 keys with one machine and 3 with the other. I then mark which one came from which machine then try them at the door. Before I leave HD or Lowes I try to match up the keys to see if they are cut right.

    Also the $45 vs $15 locks are just not built the same. Very flimsy build and usually don't last long. I also noticed they don't have cylinder guards. Before I converted over to the smart key I still bought the better quality locks and just rotated them.

    I just thought of another tip. In one older building i have the entry door to the apartment is a 9 lite. Obviously not current code but one security tip is that on that door I use a keyed deadbolt not lever. In case someone tries to break the little window and open the door. I also use 4" exterior screws to the jamb and also the better security guards that come with the better locks.

    Oh and one last thing I replace one screw in each hinge with a long 4" screw that anchors each hinge into the stud.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Regarding keys:

    I bought a key machine off CL for $50. I purchase key blanks on the web for 17 cents each. I can make a key just as fast as any high school dropout at the hardware store, right in my garage. No traveling. Make as many keys as I want. I highly recommend going this way. Huge time saver and money saver.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    This is probably a difference in locale regarding whether to supply appliances or not. I personally do not because most people in this area already have their own. If your market is different, then you do what you have to do.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Dawn A.:
    This is probably a difference in locale regarding whether to supply appliances or not. I personally do not because most people in this area already have their own. If your market is different, then you do what you have to do.

    It just depends on the local customs. Here everybody expects kitchen appliances to be included with the rental. When I lived in So Cal rentals very rarely included a fridge but generally included a stove. I try not to provide dishwashers as they break constantly, a coil stove will last pretty much forever though (maybe you have to change some burners out) unless the rats and roaches destroy the wiring.

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    in my area, even section 8 landlords supply fridge & stove. it just depends on the competion.

    another thing you need to consider, with a tenant putting in their own dryer, is gas leaks...BOOM!

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    13y

    I have had a few bad smartkey locks but I have over 100 in use. There is a reset tool that I bought on ebay and I watched a youtube video about how to use it. I don't have as many prob as I first did when I was getting extra key copies made. I now buy new 4 key sets from ebay for like $2 for the set. I just use a new set when I need to rekey as I rarely recover all tenant keys. I can't tell you how thankful I am to put these lock in operation.

    On common hall doors or laundry doors I use the Schlage lever electronic access locks.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:

    Half these people look like they rarely wash their clothes anyway. Some of them increase two sizes every six months. They don't need a washer or dryer. They just get bigger clothes.

    Haha. Funny. And, disturbingly, true.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y

    Does anyone remove the curtains or blinds?

    Somehow blinds seem to get damaged pretty easily. Is it necessary for landlords to require any?

    Some apartments I've lived provided blinds, while some houses didn't.

  • Chuck B.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    13y

    @Jon K - I put cheap blinds on for a number of reasons... I can do it right without adding a bunch of unnecessary holes in the wall and trim. They show better, both when renting and for as long as they last with the tenant (no sheets hung across windows). And finally, because I don't want anyone looking in when the property is vacant. A light on a timer is not useful if everyone can see that it's a single lamp in the middle of the floor. Ha! They're so inexpensive I figure it's worth it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2008 · 946 posts · 153 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Chuck B.:
    @Joey - I remove carpet when it's life is over and replace with linoleum, tile or hardwood. Or if I'm lucky, there's hardwood underneath that can just be refinished.
    - C

    Chuck do you lay the tile yourself? My wife and I can do it, but it takes a while. I am trying to cut my turnaround time down.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Chuck B.

    For lower end rentals we have painted the wooden floors using porch paint that is durable and made to be walked on. When the tenant leaves its very easy to repaint the floors and make the paint job look new again.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 203 posts · 50 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:

    Half these people look like they rarely wash their clothes anyway. Some of them increase two sizes every six months. They don't need a washer or dryer. They just get bigger clothes.

    You just crack me up... But so true.

  • Investor · Diamond Bar, CA · Member since 2009 · 446 posts · 233 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:

    Half these people look like they rarely wash their clothes anyway. Some of them increase two sizes every six months. They don't need a washer or dryer. They just get bigger clothes.

    Sad how many here thought this was funny. I have been working with some non-profit housing agencies on a few projects lately and it is no wonder so many are hostile to "Investors".

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 203 posts · 50 votes
    13y

    I am sorry that I sometimes have a laugh. Probably should go in the basement to do that...
    But that's not the reason why people don't like investors. The reasons are that investors are seen as the greedy people with pockets full of money, and then still demand your rent on the first and charge you late fees when appropriate and take your deposit when you leave a pig sty behind. Then they feel they are not being treated fairly and ripped off.
    They are hated by people who break the rules in the first place (and I am not just talking about the "at least one bath a week" rule) and have to feel the adverse effects.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    13y

    David Krulac I've used porch paint on some wood floors in some of my lower end rentals but I always have a problem with the paint chipping up right away. What paint do you use?

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Patrick L.

    Its been awhile, I think it was Sherwyn Williams.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    13y

    I think the best thing I can contribute here for the DIY crowd is to recommend building granite tile counters. Besides looking great and selling the rental, they're way more durable than the preformed laminate on pressboard, the tiles are easily repairable or replaceable if a tenant does manage to damage a tile(hasn't happened yet but the family has chipped the granite slab in my own kitchen), they're cheap at ~$5 sq ft for the granite, and finally not too hard to build for the handy with a tile saw (I did my first with a real cheapie) and a set of diamond polishing disks off Ebay for the exposed edges. Even the last is not required, you can leave them rough or get them polished for a few bucks per edge at a stone place.

    You might notice I install a built-in MW/hood. These units rent for $1200 and for the extra $140 over a regular hood it makes the small kitchen much more graceful. Apartments come with appliances around here. Those cabs are chinese imports from a local home center that are all wood, no particle, and have nice hardware, same price as the crap at the big boxes.

    Heads up to Smartkey fans, apparently they're real easy to simply force the cylinder around http://youtu.be/nF4wbyJ5uLk

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    13y

    This thread is very helpful for a soon to be landlord. I find the "no appliance" position quite surprising, maybe it is reflective of my market or the properties I have looked at in my renting life, but I do not think I have ever seen a place for rent without a refrigerator and stove. A washer dryer seems to be 50:50.

    I wrote down a few things I will consider when looking at potential rental properties to purchase.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
  • NJ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    I don't install a towel rack at all. Instead I bolt a 1"x4" piece of wood and paint it the same color as the trim then screw in three nice hooks to hold towels. Can't hang off of those!

    We make sure the exterior doors are either solid hardwood or steel. The door locks are replaced and there is a sensor spot light above each entrance. We place those high enough that it cannot be reached easily.

    Often times we have to replace windows or purchase new screens for existing ones. When we replace a window, we ask the installer to install them in a way that would prevent anyone from removing the screens.

    We always take photos of everything in the house before it is rented. That's our proof should tenant ever destroy something and try to claim it "was that way when I moved in". Ha!

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I think I will try landlord locks next time

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Eric F.

    Appliances depend on the grade of unit and type.

    Low to mid apartments, range and frig

    Low to mid SFH range no frig, no washer dryer

    Luxury condo/luxury home range, frig, washer, dryer, dishwasher, maybe built in micro wave.

    For SFH with septic always remove disposal, for all others when broken replace with standard drain no disposal.

    I also never supply window air conditioners, though many of the places have central air.

    House tenants often have own appliances especially when moving from a house, in some cases they bring there own ranges. I figure its a win win, No appliance repair or replacement for me and the tenants stay longer when they have to move all those heavy appliances.

    I'm not in the appliance business and try to reduce my maintenance and replacement costs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.