How to handle pets in your rental?

How to handle pets in your rental?

Wholesaler · Cedar City, UT · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 2 votes

What’s the best way to go about having pets in your rentals? We’re purchasing a home with a basement apartment that we plan to rent. I’m not entirely opposed to allowing pets but I want to be able to regulate it somehow. We’ve had planned on allowing 1 pet and charging a $35/month pet fee but many people are asking about multiple pets. Do I charge per pet or put a hard limit on one?

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

I would not allow dogs of any size, if you are living there.  You may end up hearing them too much.  Deny multiple pets.  Cats are usually fine as long as they make it in the litter box.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I would not allow dogs of any size, if you are living there.  You may end up hearing them too much.  Deny multiple pets.  Cats are usually fine as long as they make it in the litter box.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Pets or no pets, Expecting to control tenants is unrealistic unless you are prepared to evict when they violate your lease. The question is why would you allow someone to keep animals in your basement.

    Dogs will be noisy and crap all over your yard, cats will stink the place up and bring in flees. What is your preferred punishment.

  • Rental Property Investor · OK · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I add an additional $250 for the deposit and add an extra $25 per pet per month.  Some homes, I do not allow pets at all - homes that I have recently upgraded carpet, flooring, etc.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    Limit it to one pet and keep them under a certain size. Avoid cats because the odor is very difficult to get rid of if the Tenant doesn't care for them properly. Dogs can chew trim, scratch doors, or tear up carpet but your risk is reduced if they have mature, smaller dogs (under 30 pounds). I recommend you charge a significant increase to the deposit ($300 - $500) and then an increase to the monthly rent. $35 a month only adds up to $420 in one year which wouldn't cover a lot of damages but it will help on top of their deposit.

    The better the tenant, the lower the risk. Good renters with high credit scores and solid job history tend to have well-behaved pets and take care of any damages they cause. Higher-risk tenants have poorly behaved animals that can destroy a rental. High-risk tenants also seem to be enamored with large, dangerous breeds. The better you screen, the fewer problems you will have.

    By the way, I'm managing about 350 rentals and about half accept pets. I haven't had a pet cause more than $1,000 in damages in years.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bryson Gilbert:

    What’s the best way to go about having pets in your rentals? We’re purchasing a home with a basement apartment that we plan to rent. I’m not entirely opposed to allowing pets but I want to be able to regulate it somehow. We’ve had planned on allowing 1 pet and charging a $35/month pet fee but many people are asking about multiple pets. Do I charge per pet or put a hard limit on one?

     We charge $25/mo per pet & allow two pets with some vicious breed restrictions. 1st person you want to talk to is your insurance agent so they can tell you which breeds will be a problem with your home owners insurance.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    @Nathan Gesner

    The underlying problem is that this tenant is going to be a cellar dweller. There is no way this is going to be a quality tenant meaning high risk. High credit score, solid job history, highly unlikley otherwise they would not be renting a basement appartment. These types of tenants are inherently irresponsible and should never be trusted to be responsible pet owners. They are the type of tenant that will bring a pet into a unit that does not allow pets.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    I have basement apartments and the vast majority of the tenants are single, professional, and quiet. They work, they go home and read or watch TV, or they go out to hang with friends/family. Looking back, I can't remember a single basement dweller that was a problem. Different cultures, I guess.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    You are probably right about a different culture. I see most cellar dwelers as welfare, students and low paid service industry workers.

  • Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    I have had huge issues with cat pee.  The tenant often does not even know their cat doesn't make it to the cat box.  

  • Wholesaler · Cedar City, UT · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Nathan G. Thanks for commenting. That’s extremely helpful!

  • Wholesaler · Cedar City, UT · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks everyone!

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Bryson Gilbert

    I handle pets one way, no way. Everyone claims they are a responsible pet owner. I call BS. I’ve seen and smelled so much over the years. No thanks, take your pets and their stink to someone else’s property

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.