How much do you pay for carpet?

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
14y

It depends on what you are using it for.

Are you buying carpet for your home??

Carpet for a flip?? If so what price range??

Carpet for a new rental building?? OR and Older one??

Does the tenant expect crown molding and plush carpet for a high rent rate area or do you need to put in carpet that stands up to use and abuse??

What you pay with labor will depend on if for instance one of my units still has a good pad and tack and strip then I just pay for carpet and installation cost.

What you will pay will also depend on how much you are installing at one time.

I don't like Berber for rentals.The design of the loop once it starts unraveling it can unwind pretty good an dis harder to get certain stains and pet stuff out of it.

With carpet you want a Nylon carpet even if the cheaper version.Some carpet guys will try to sell you the rubber composite carpet stuff which is the really cheap stuff so it will stand up to tenant abuse.

The problem is it can only be cleaned usually up to one time and then you need to replace it again.

So I would rather get a cheaper nylon that can be re-cleaned many times over after installation for an additional .10 to .15 a sq ft extra than the super cheap stuff I will have to replace again.

If you get 1 sq ft for carpet,pad,tack and strip,and labor install and it is Nylon you are getting one heck of a deal.

Even at a carpet place usually you are at .40 to .50 for the pad and .50 to .60 for a cheap carpet.Then you have to do material to install and labor.

I have seen sometimes if you have to do a small area you can pick up quality remnant pieces for real cheap and hit that type of number or buy in bulk.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abbott, TX · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I bought my carpet very cheap from Dallas.  http://www.renova-flooring.com/ Good luck!

  • Investor | Syndicator | Instructor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2008 · 435 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    I have slowly migrated to laminate and porcelain tile except for carpet in the bedrooms. Nice compromise but it does look better for lease/option tenants and it wears better in the main living areas if they vacate. Sure, I have to replace the carpet in the bedrooms a lot of times if they vacate, but it also adds a "refresh" to the new tenants whereby I increase the prices anyway. So far so good.

  • Mike WilliamsPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Dalton, GA · Member since 2010 · 244 posts · 35 votes
    11y

    I live in Dalton, carpet capital of the world. J Scott is all over it with his reply. The only thing I can add is that I typically don't use carpet in rentals. Too difficult to keep clean and too expensive to replace after every other tenant. I usually replace carpet with laminate, engineered wood, or hardwood. It seems to last forever and the tenants like the upgrade from carpet.

  • Mike WilliamsPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Dalton, GA · Member since 2010 · 244 posts · 35 votes
    11y

    I live in Dalton, carpet capital of the world. J Scott is all over it with his reply. The only thing I can add is that I typically don't use carpet in rentals. Too difficult to keep clean and too expensive to replace after every other tenant. I usually replace carpet with laminate, engineered wood, or hardwood. It seems to last forever and the tenants like the upgrade from carpet.

  • Wholesaler · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2024 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    We sell Repurposed Commercial carpet tile for as low as .21 sqft delivered. We sell by the Truckload or pallet.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.