Tenant Screening - Previous Landlord Disappeared

Tenant Screening - Previous Landlord Disappeared

Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes

Good day BP!!! I am screening my 1st tenant and she seems good on paper ... so far. She's given me her pay stubs, ID, completed application and the app fee. I've verified her employment with HR. She's been with their company since 2008 and makes more than my requirement. I'm still waiting on her to respond to my background check service for further due diligence. My issue is that I've tried to contact the previous landlord, but the phone keeps ringing .. no voicemail ever picks up. When she submitted the application, she advised that the property was seized from the landlord and she was given a short notice to move ... 2 days. Hasn't heard from the landlord since. She'd paid a full months rent and wants the remainder as she had to vacate early in the month of eviction. The tenants prior property is located in Delaware County, PA. I've checked the parcel site and found that the property was owned by an LLC. I found the phone number to the LLC/PM company, but it's no longer in service. I've asked her for the previous landlords last name so I can possibly locate him that way. Has anyone else had to do some hunting around for a previous landlord? If so, how did you go about locating them? If you did't have any success, what process did you use to figure out some basic info on timely payments and whether or not they were a good tenant? The only thing I can think of is to request (3) months of previous bank statements and/or voided checks to see that the payment was indeed deducted when the rent was due so I can at least see she made timely payments. Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks a bunch ... Cassandra :)

0Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 18 votes
7y

I totally agree with @Matthew Olszak. Another major red flag is when a prospective tenant is in a huge rush to move. When you're getting questions about how soon a person can move in, sensors should immediately go off. With that being said she paid for you to do the background check, if that comes back clean, and the credit check shows she is paying all get other bills, she is probably telling the truth.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I would see what the background check reveals. If she has no issues and a decent credit score then I wouldn't worry about finding the previous landlord.

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, NH · Member since 2016 · 460 posts · 276 votes
    7y

    @Cassandra Sifford The previous landlord referral is a very overrated and sometimes useless tool to use when screening tenants. If a landlord has a tenant that is "bad" they will want the tenant out and will stretch the truth to make that work in their favor. If this particular tenant hits every other check box then you should probably move forward. A complete credit report will show on-time payments and a good background check will alert you of any evictions. Best of luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cassandra Sifford:

    Good day BP!!! I am screening my 1st tenant and she seems good on paper ... so far. She's given me her pay stubs, ID, completed application and the app fee. I've verified her employment with HR. She's been with their company since 2008 and makes more than my requirement. I'm still waiting on her to respond to my background check service for further due diligence. My issue is that I've tried to contact the previous landlord, but the phone keeps ringing .. no voicemail ever picks up. When she submitted the application, she advised that the property was seized from the landlord and she was given a short notice to move ... 2 days. Hasn't heard from the landlord since. She'd paid a full months rent and wants the remainder as she had to vacate early in the month of eviction. The tenants prior property is located in Delaware County, PA. I've checked the parcel site and found that the property was owned by an LLC. I found the phone number to the LLC/PM company, but it's no longer in service. I've asked her for the previous landlords last name so I can possibly locate him that way. Has anyone else had to do some hunting around for a previous landlord? If so, how did you go about locating them? If you did't have any success, what process did you use to figure out some basic info on timely payments and whether or not they were a good tenant? The only thing I can think of is to request (3) months of previous bank statements and/or voided checks to see that the payment was indeed deducted when the rent was due so I can at least see she made timely payments. Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated!!!

    Thanks a bunch ... Cassandra :)

    Its typical for landlords to not respond to inquiries, and those that do respond are FAR from reliable. I ask for the current landlord's info to cross reference with deed/tax data simply to see if the applicant is lying and putting a friend's name/number on the app. So I don't bother to spend a ton of time filling in the blanks for applicants, I either get the info I need or pass.

    You said the word "eviction". Is she under eviction proceedings, which means a court case has been filed to forcibly remove her? If so, decline the application. Sometimes people say "eviction" when its just a notice to vacate, if they vacate then there is no eviction case. But if they don't leave, even if they pay rent, the landlord will have to bring a forcible entry case against them to remove them from the property via the courts. Applicants will come up with a million stories about why they are being evicted, but the fact is that they were given legal notice to vacate the unit and did not. So that's a hard NO for me. I also don't buy that she was only given 2 days notice, as even if ownership transferred the new owners are bound to the existing leases.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    If she was evicted because the landlord's property was seized, see if you can get documentation/confirmation.  If everything else looks good, rent it to her.  She can't control what happened to her landlord.

  • Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    I totally agree with @Matthew Olszak. Another major red flag is when a prospective tenant is in a huge rush to move. When you're getting questions about how soon a person can move in, sensors should immediately go off. With that being said she paid for you to do the background check, if that comes back clean, and the credit check shows she is paying all get other bills, she is probably telling the truth.

  • Developer · Birmingham Alabama · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Cassandra Sifford In the management game, when you give people an inch they’ll try to take a mile. If your having issues simple as rental verification the take hat as a red flag and move on to the next renter. People know what they be doing trust me. You can’t find the landlord for a reason.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Bruns:

    I totally agree with @Matthew Olszak. Another major red flag is when a prospective tenant is in a huge rush to move. When you're getting questions about how soon a person can move in, sensors should immediately go off. With that being said she paid for you to do the background check, if that comes back clean, and the credit check shows she is paying all get other bills, she is probably telling the truth.

    I work with mostly class C properties, so the rush is pretty normal (unfortunately) as most wait until the very last minute to find new housing. But like you said, it raises my eyebrows to especially when they need to move in this weekend and its the 10th of the month.

    One slight thing I disagree with however is that paying for the credit/bg check lends any credence to their character. I am clear on all listings (in capital letters), as well as on the phone, and in person, that NO history of evictions is acceptable, no matter the circumstances. And sure enough, I always get 1-2 folks who must think I won't find their eviction and choose to pay the $45 application fee to take that risk. Last week it was one who thought I wouldn't see the judge entered the eviction order the VERY DAY BEFORE she viewed my unit.

  • Investor · Newtown Square, PA · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    @Cassandra Sifford

    Cassandra,

    Since this property is in Delaware county, PA go back to the Delaware county courthouse web site where you got the owner info from and look up civil suit section and put in the name of the owner to do a search. You’d be surprised how much information is listed including additional contact info if you really want to track them down. I always like to see if the applicant is lying about there landlord, many times giving wrong phone numbers.

    Alan

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Matthew Olszak I have come to the conclusion that many tenants do not understand the process well enough to even know when they have an eviction. I've had people tell me that yes the landlord did post a notice on the door but they did not think they had an eviction because they were in the process of moving and the sheriff didn't come and set their belongings on the corner. I had another lady tell me she had one eviction, I checked and she didn't. I called the managment company that "evicted" her and they said, "NO! we didn't evict her. She lived their for five years and was late and they couldn't get her on the phone so they put a 3-day on her door one time. They said she was a great tenant and they would have worked with her if she had only called them.

  • South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 374 posts · 432 votes
    7y

    @Cassandra Sifford

    The 2 days to move story is B.S. Even if everything else checks out, someone is lying. It could be that the owner lied but I’d need to get to the bottom of that before moving forward.

  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I've been doing rentals for 40 years, and on a few occasions, have people applying, and given the juxtaposition of circumstances, their stories makes no sense. I had a few of them, rented to some. It appears you got one of those.

    A while back, now 30 years, I got a single divorced man applying in his 50's. A polite soft spoken gentlemen who's a door man, who's been with the same employer for over 30 years. Spoke with him, every thing seems fine. But he had to move quick, and says there's a bankruptcy on file.

    Normally, with two red flags, it would be automatic disqualifier. But speaking to him, he's so loveable that I decided to give him and chance, and go ahead with the credit check, which at the time ran me $20.00. I never charged application fees, still don't, and figure all I'll lose is $20.00

    Checked his credit, had nothing else of file major except the bankruptcy with a $200K unpaid loan. Now, his doorman salary was a few hundred a week plus tips, so who would loan him $200K? He made enough to qualify for the 1BR, so I decided to give him a chance. In fact, he doesn't even own a car. Has a credit card, but never used it, paid everything cash. Was a door man at a fancy Manhattan building, and tips are good, all cash. So what does he need a credit card for, and charge on it.

    So I figured he must have expensive tastes. After he moved in, his belongings are sparse. Had a few pieces of furniture. His clothes didn't fill up his closet. So I wondered, what's with this guy. He tells me originally he can't go into the bankruptcy because it's too painful.

    He was a good tenant in the sense that if I had to go in, he said, you got the key, just knock on the door and go in any time. Never late on the rent. On a few occasions that I had to go in, while he's gone, a bible would be open on the dining room table where's he's reading it. I got a man reading the Bible every day.

    After he's been with me for a while, I found he's the most cooperative tenant I ever ran across. I wanted to remodel his bathroom and asked him when's a good time for him. Said he was planning a trip to see his brother in California, and he'll schedule it around my contractor's schedule.

    Finally, when I got to know him, said to me, you must be wondering about my bankruptcy. He explained his son started a trucking company, needed a $200K loan, the loan company required a guarantor. All his son could find to do it was him, a doorman. The loan company officer said "OK, your dad got no assets, earns very little, but we'll do it because if you don't pay, you and your dad would go bankruptcy, and he can't even convince a landlord to rent him a place". Sure enough, a year after the bankruptcy, his landlord had to sell, and he's stuck looking for an apartment.

    Lucky for him, he found me, and I decided his story is too strange to be not true.

    As to the issue of looking for the previous landlord, New York State has a problem with Zombie homes. owners who abandoned their homes, owing mortgages, back taxes, many of them rentals in LLC's that they cannot find the owners. Do you think they return calls? I don't owe people money or back taxes, and get around 6 spam and robo calls a day, each, on my cell phone, and my home phone. Once I was waiting a call back from my doctor, the phone rang, I picked it up, the caller want to sell me solar panels, and I told him after several minutes, "sorry I'm waiting for a call from my doctor". So it's not unusual that the owner of a foreclosed home will not answer the phone. Why would they.

    BTW, I couldn't reach the doorman's landlord as well, for some reason. I seen enough of these flukes that I think you do OK with this tenant.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 538 posts · 432 votes
    7y


    If the tenant qualifies well on their own without that referral, I'd go for it.  We own our property management company in-house and have to make these decisions daily with our turnkey rentals.  

    Most of the time, this is a doable scenario and at worst we require first, last, security to give us some extra peace of mind with that applicant.  

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 909 posts · 297 votes
    7y

    be careful trust your gut and follow your policies

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Does what you found about her previous residence agree with what she said?  Is it in foreclosure or similar?  If so, ask for bank statements to back up she paid rent on time and forget the old landlord.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I'd check the property records to see I the address she gave was seized by the government or foreclosed on.  Without that verification I would pass.  I can not imagine anyone giving her 2 days to move out.  Renters generally get 90 days...and are often paid to leave, unless she meant that she gets a payout if she leaves in 2 days.

  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lynnette E.:

    I'd check the property records to see I the address she gave was seized by the government or foreclosed on.  Without that verification I would pass.  I can not imagine anyone giving her 2 days to move out.  Renters generally get 90 days...and are often paid to leave, unless she meant that she gets a payout if she leaves in 2 days.

     I wouldn't be so hung up on the 2 days thing if overall, credit history, salary wise, and for me personality passes muster. So to me, why the property was seized, and how, it's not even hers, doesn't matter. In NY, abandoned zombie homes are so common that it even became a government problem. The owners just walked away and made sure they can't be found. 

    I have woman applicants, victims of abuse applying. They're got going to tell you a big long story. I got people frightened of where they're living, but rather not give you a big long story. They will not hang around the place 90 days, but move in with friends, sleep in the car to be safe. They're not going to wait for cash for keys. They're not going to say "yeah, but the law gives me 90 days, ha, ha". The man applying to me, who's bankrupt, owes $200,000 rather not go into it because if he told me a story, it would be unbelievable. I believed him after he was with me two years.

    And you don't get the situation unless you're there. I remember when I was a little kid, my dad's brother called him, need a couple of thousand dollars quick, he owes some money to some bad dudes. My dad's attitude was "so they could wait a few days". He wasn't there and didn't know the urgency. Turned out these guys were loan sharks, 3 big tough guys, knew where my dad lives, came over and said we're all in big trouble if it's not paid. My mom said "pay them and get rid of them, you're going to put your kids in jeopardy?" You can also say to these big bad dudes that loan sharking is illegal, they can't collect, go fly a kite. 

    Sometimes waiting 90 days can be the difference between life and death.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    UPDATE:  I spoke with her landlord, but he did't seem to hands on and couldn't speak to how clean her house was when she left.  He said she paid on time and that he would rent to her again.  He also stated that he's selling off all of his properties.  Her background came back and her credit score is bad at 526 ... she makes almost $50k, no evictions, lived at her last house for 7 years (3 years with the one before), has a lot of deferred student loan debt that was past due, four collection accounts totaling $3300, some charge offs, one DUI offense from 2016, but her active credit cards are all paid on time.  My scorecard for her is a low score so I feel like I may have to pass on her and continue on with the hunt, but I'm not sure.  Please keep in mind that my area is C-/D+

    @John Underwood @Steve DellaPelle... Thank you for your response!  

    @Matthew Olszak ... She wasn't evicted per the landlord.  He said she moved because he was selling the property.  Per her bank statement, I do see that her last rent payment was made on 3/4, but I'm not sure when she moved out.

    @Theresa Harris ... Thank you for your input!  I'm on the fence about renting to her so I'm not sure if I'm going to ask for proof of the seizure or do some more county search digging LOL

    @Kyle Bruns ... Thank you for your advice!  She actually wasn't in a huge rush to move.  May 1st was my target date and she's good with that.  She's got some collections and a lot of student loan debt that is deferred.  

    @Sejj Jackson ... Thank you for your response!  When I told her I couldn't get in contact with the landlord, she gave me other phone numbers that she's reached him on.  The 2nd one worked.  We talked and she seemed like a good tenant to him, but he didn't seem too hands on.  He knew her rent payments were on time and she was never a problem

    @Alan G.... Thank you for the information!  I checked and no civil suits for that address came up.  Looks like she lied about her being landlord losing his house.  I'm sure it would be listed if that was the case smh  

    @Quincy Lockett ... I think she did lie about being evicted as I didn't see anything on the site Alan referred me to look at.  

    @Frank Chin ... Thank you for sharing your story!  I think this lady isn't the tenant for me.  She's got a lot going on with her background, credit isn't good and I believe she lied about why she had to move.  Not sure why she lied as she knew I was going to figure out something.  She gave me other phone numbers to contact the landlord to verify her background with him so I'm wondering why lie???

    @Bryan Blankenship ... Thank you for the info!  I think I'm going to have to pass on her.  Some stuff isn't sitting well with me.  I was going to call and verify some things, but I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to put your story together.  I do like the idea of first, last and security deposit though.  

    @Justin Kane ... Thank you for your advice!  I'm on the fence about her, but my score card doesn't lie!  I have to leave it up to the numbers and my gut.  They're telling me to move on.

    @Colleen F. ...Thank you for your response! Her landlord answered on the 2nd phone number she gave me after I told her I couldn't get in contact with him.  I didn't see anything on the civil case site listing the address so I feel like she lied about why she had to move.  Her rent has bee on time with the last four statements she gave me.  My scorecard has her with a really low score.  I'm going to look further into another tenant and see how things progress.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    @Lynnette E. ... Thank you for your input!  I didn't see the property listed on the Commom Pleas docket site for foreclosure or seizure.   I spoke with the landlord and he told me she moved because he was selling his property.  I feel like she may have been lying to pad her true background and credit check.  She makes really good money, has an overdraft acct to back her up when funds are low and pays her rent on time. 

    @Frank Chin ... She seemed pretty cool to me, pays her rent on time, but her credit is bad.

  • South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 374 posts · 432 votes
    7y

    In my 20 years of landlordjng Almost 100% of my applicants in my C/D properties have sub 600 credit scores. The ones that have over 600 are NEVER interested in my properties. I always select a prospect with bad credit. If I had to wait on one with good credit, I would NEVER fill the unit. Just make sure they make enough to pay the rent (based on income and current bills) and that they pass the smell test. Good Luck! 

  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by :

    @Frank Chin ... She seemed pretty cool to me, pays her rent on time, but her credit is bad.

    I agree with you, if a combination of factors make you uncomfortable, then go on to the next one, if you have a next one. I know what "really cool" is.

    I do open houses, and we vet them first by phone, my wife does, and I vet them at the showing, the same questions. Once, a lady who claims to be a bank VP was to rent a 2BR. We normally ask, who'll be living with you? She told my wife, "my only daughter who completed college will be visiting, and I'm very proud of her." To me, in person, said the same thing, except it's a only son.

    She was cool at the open house, and I mentioned I will consider her. I didn't at that point double check my wife's notes. We have people fill out applications, one of the questions, "were you ever evicted", she answered "no". Just out of curiosity, we ran a credit and eviction check, and found she was evicted two years before. Out of further curiosity, we called his current landlord, and the hesitant way he answered, appears bogus.

    So, on to her employment, she wrote down she's a VP at the Chemical Bank. We knew the area, don't recall a Chemical Bank at the location, googled it, it doesn't show up. Yet, I spoke to her listed supervisor and he gave her a glowing reference. Normally, you need a letter to confirm employment, but I normally call supervisors since it's faster. But my brother in law who worked at the bank gave me a number at HR, tells me if I call, give them the name and SS#, they can confirm the dates she worked there if she ever worked there. From this, I confirmed she never worked there.

    She got back to me a two days later, and I coolly told her there's a few discrepancies on her application, to begin with, her eviction. Told her I'm still waiting for a call from the person evicting her from the eviction records. So she replied "all right, if you don't want to rent to me, then don't rent to me." So I said, "you don't want me to follow up further?", just for the fun of it. She hung up.

    I got a few of these through the years. I find vetting in a open house the best way as I see how people react. But this one was "real cool" and almost had me.

    Funny thing is her current landlord didn't disappear, she got me a bogus one, but he was bad on lying. The bogus supervisor was better.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    @Quincy Lockett ... Thank you for the response!  I've only had three applicants.  The two I've screened were below 600.  I understand with that particular area there won't have good credit scores coming out the wood works LOL The 1st lady makes enough to pay the rent, but I'm wondering why she lied about having to move.  She seems to overdraft her account often, but has the overdraft account to help her out.  The 2nd lady is Section 8 and they'll be paying her rent in full.  She left off the current landlords phone number, but I found out the owner through the parcel search and found the phone number.  She gave me the 2nd landlord's information (who happens to be her mother   (-_-).  She told me about something that should have came up on her background, but it didn't.  Although she failed to tell me about her eviction back in  2013 smh  

  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    @Frank Chin ... I guess the potential tenants think we won't find out so they choose to lie instead of tell the truth up front.  They all seem good when we talk, but this background check is telling me so much more LOL This is a business and I must treat it as such. 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    7y

    So, what about previous Landlords before the last one?  

    If I were you, I use the best judgment you can make.  Depends on your rent compared in your state, and class of your rental, I would say yes, or not to go ahead and ignore the previous landlord thing.... 

    I rent apartments and houses often because I travel for long term.  I'm a Professional Civil Engineer that travels a lot.  I can't even remember all the houses or apartment complexes my company have put me on.  Have to pay for them, but I receive a per-diem daily between $120-$150 daily.  Rent were under my name, so basically I was responsible for it.  If I can't remember or can't provide that info, will you do not rent to me even showing excellent credit score, very good salary, etc? 

  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    @Josue Vargas... Thank you for responding!  She was at the most recent property for 7 years so she didn't list any other ones.  I ended up speaking with the landlord and he had nothing bad to say about her.  I ended up renting to her as she was my best potential.  Signed my lease this past Thursday, got the 1st months rent and security deposit already deposited in escrow!  My neighborhood is in a C- kind of area so credit scores aren't the best.  She makes good money and I talked to her on a few occasions outside of the initial open house so I felt better about renting to her.  

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cassandra Sifford:

    @Josue Vargas... Thank you for responding!  She was at the most recent property for 7 years so she didn't list any other ones.  I ended up speaking with the landlord and he had nothing bad to say about her.  I ended up renting to her as she was my best potential.  Signed my lease this past Thursday, got the 1st months rent and security deposit already deposited in escrow!  My neighborhood is in a C- kind of area so credit scores aren't the best.  She makes good money and I talked to her on a few occasions outside of the initial open house so I felt better about renting to her.  

     Glad to hear the good news.  For eviction purposes, I use Cozy.co for background checks that will show that and much more, just $40 per person including both background check and credit score checks, or just $20 for one of the two reports.  Tenant pays for this directly and protects their sensitive information.   You have an option to actually pay for this yourself, but they have to fill-out the requests once you sent the email to them.  And prospect tenants pay for it directly, you just receive reports without all the sensitive information you don't need.  Just wanted to let you know.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.