large single family with separate 3br 1ba apartment for newbie

large single family with separate 3br 1ba apartment for newbie

Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Hi BiggerPockets,

brand new to real estate, recently discovered this site. Lost my job and it's put things in a different light, such as why am I taking financial advice from people around me who are struggling to pay their own bills?

I've found a property close to my old job that I'm going to return to, saving me a 30 minute commute time. also because I previously quit my job that I'm returning to, I have a nice savings that I withdrew from my retirement (7k).

It's a 7 bedroom, 2.5 bath, with additional separated 3 bed, 1 bath aparment behind, all sitting on 12k lot with 3500sq ft living space between them. as far as I know it's been built in 1950, but I'm unclear right now what has been updated and permitted correctly. (there's a diy bridge connecting the house to the apartment which will most likely be removed.

Within the small neighborhood, only a few streets away have been nearly 20 homes sold in the last 6 months, and only two sold under 200k, most 220+, all of them single story, most 3 bed 2 bath, several are new construction.

my short term goal is to own and rent the apartment and live in the main house for the rent to cover expenses, no positive cashflow necessary, but appreciated.

the house is in need of extensive repair, it's on block foundation, but not in a flood plain and did not flood in hurricane harvey, (I'm in houston). obvious potentials due to original construction being in 1950 is asbestos, rewiring entire house/upgrade, redoing all plumbing, replacing most windows, hopefully not a complete install, and it has no central hvac. I'm considering going with ductless, potentially to save money I can deal with window units in main house and put nice ductless in the apartment. 

Ask price is 85k, been on the market for 345 days, started at 85k, they raised price then lowered again. If I can expect an ARV of at least 220k due to most similar comps being half total sq ft and same lot size, if I can get the property for 75k, or even 85, and get HML for 140k total, (try for 150k) put 70k into it and refi for the total 150k I've put into it after I have a tenant in place (150k house is not out of my price range of house to actually buy with my income, but I don't have a down payment or savings really) I'd have at least 70k in equity for potential HELOC for future investments or if something were to break, but almost everything would be brand new.

I'm wondering if there's anything I've forgotten or anything I should think about or general advice. I'm still doing my research on investing and won't make a move until I actually have that job back. I'm not going to jump in haphazardly, and want a solid plan.

0Reply
13 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    My first thought is that this house is probably a mess. Most homes are significantly smaller and selling for 3x the price. This one has been on the market for a year which means plenty of eyes have seen it and nobody's jumping. Why do you think that is?

    This sounds to me like a home some guy kept adding on to and it turned into a Frankenstein.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    very possible, the only DIY that's obvious is a bridge connecting the main house to the apartment. I have attempted several times to contact the realtor and she has responded with one very short email and nothing since then. she's very hard to get in touch with/ nonresponsive. The sellers are a couple's kids who inherited it last year after the father's death and the realtor specifically said "cash only" due to known defects and hasn't responded to my request of what those defects are nor to set up a tour. so I'd probably be looking at a hard money loan and I've been doing my research and learning about the pitfalls and such. 

    I believe that no one has jumped on it because it's not an obvious fix and flip and it's not exactly a duplex for renting both. the main house is very large. i plan to occupy the main house myself for convenience to job and extra living space. it's also located on the outskirts of houston, about 40 minutes from downtown.

  • Contractor · Magnolia, TX · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 155 votes
    7y

    This sounds like a fantastically bad idea, but if you do it, I hope you post progress here so we can all watch.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    it turns out that this property is considered an estate and some of the adopted kids are specials needs who can't exactly communicate with ease and it's causing issues. Realtor said she's probably received upwards of 700 inquiries about the property and someone has already offered full asking but they are talking with their attorney today.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.