How can I show depreciation for my properties? Tips?

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

@Charlie Moore

You need to consult with a CPA immediately. If you have not been declaring depreciation every year on your rental property you are literally flushing money down the toilet. And you will get smoked on taxes when you sell. Recapturing depreciation is mandatory by the IRS, whether or not you took the tax break in the first place.

Again, the IRS assumes you took the depreciation every year, so they make you recapture the amount when you sell. There is no stating “but I didn’t take depreciation”.

See this reply in the discussion

85 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore where or to whom do you want to show it?

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Jason D.

    I’m sorry

    My rental homes

    2 of them to lower taxes

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore depreciation would show up on your schedule e. You should have been doing this from the start, and should amend all years that you have not taken depreciation.

    When you sell, you'll have to pay tax on the depreciation, whether you took it or not, so take it every year.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Jason D.

    Never ever heard of paying a depreciation tax when selling a home...

    Hmm. I need to look it up I gusss

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore it's called recapture.

    When you sell, you will add back all of the depreciation as part of the sale.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Jason D.

    I don’t have to do this correct

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore yes, you need to take the depreciation. You will pay the tax for it whether you take it or not, so take it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore

    You need to consult with a CPA immediately. If you have not been declaring depreciation every year on your rental property you are literally flushing money down the toilet. And you will get smoked on taxes when you sell. Recapturing depreciation is mandatory by the IRS, whether or not you took the tax break in the first place.

    Again, the IRS assumes you took the depreciation every year, so they make you recapture the amount when you sell. There is no stating “but I didn’t take depreciation”.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick

    How will I owe taxes?

    All property taxes are up to date? How would they smoke me on invisible taxes when I sell?

  • Westchester, NY · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 52 votes
    7y
    He means you will owe depreciation recapture taxes when you go to sell. 

    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    @Anthony Wick

    How will I owe taxes?

    All property taxes are up to date? How would they smoke me on invisible taxes when I sell?

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2016 · 64 posts · 29 votes
    7y

     Get a CPA right away not one of the big companies. Check his license and then listen to him. My guy has saved my *** more then once.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore

    Income taxes. Are you taking depreciation in your schedule E federal income tax form? Do you do your own taxes each year? How many years have you owned rental property and not taken depreciation on your Schedule E?

    For example, let’s say your depreciation is $5,000 per year (most building depreciation is taken over 27.5 years). You don’t take that $5k for the last 10 years and then you sell. The IRS will assume you took that $50,000 in depreciation and make you recapture that depreciation in the year of sale. Depending on your tax rate, that could cost you easily $10-15,000 in taxes.

    I highly recommend you consult with a CPA. I am not a cpa, but I hire one to do my income taxes. Do not try to fix this on your own!

  • Westchester, NY · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 52 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Robert Burris:

    @Andre Debs get a CPA right away not one of the big companies. Check his license and then listen to him. My guy has saved my *** more then once.

    I think you meant to tag the OP? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2016 · 64 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    I did sorry

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Anthony Wick

    Is this the same in Canada? I was under the impression if we don’t claim depreciation in Canada, you will just get taxed on capital gains when you sell not recapture.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Nick Cote

    I don’t have any idea on Canadian tax laws. I would simply consult with a professional wherever my properties are.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore some of your statements lead me to believe you do not understand tax law. 

    As others stated, you need to start claiming depreciation the year your property is put into service as a rental. That is the year you buy and rent out the property. Houses are depreciated over 27.5 years. You only depreciate the structure value. For example if you buy a house for $300,000 and the land value is $50,000 that means you depreciate $250,000 over 27.5 years (250,000/27.5=9091 per year). So in this example you would be able to claim $9091 worth of expense in a full year, which would help offset income (rent collected). When you sell the property, all the depreciation you claimed is recaptured and added to your gain, which becomes taxable. The problem is that even if you decide to never claim depreciation, you still must recapture and pay taxes on it. This law absolutely applies in your case where you are renting two houses.

    Maybe this doesn't make sense to you, but I assure you ignorance of the tax law does not exempt you from having to follow the law. 

    If you have never claimed depreciation, I suggest you work with a CPA to amend your returns and get this corrected. I really recommend all starting investors use a CPA, because there are so many things you can miss or get wrong. You will probably end up paying less taxes if you hire a CPA so it is a good thing.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nick Cote:

    @Anthony Wick

    Is this the same in Canada? I was under the impression if we don’t claim depreciation in Canada, you will just get taxed on capital gains when you sell not recapture.

     In Canada, depreciation of a capital asset for taxation purposes is called Capital Cost Allowance (CCA).   It is not mandatory that you claim it in any given year or at all.   CCA is calculated differently for different asset classes and, for buildings, differently than how depreciation is calculated in the U.S.A. for taxes.

    If you do claim CCA on an asset (property), when you dispose of that asset, there will be a recapture which may result in taxes due.

    After all that, you should consult with your accountant when deciding to claim CCA or not.

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks! @Roy N.

    I do have a tax accountant just trying to make sure I understood for myself. If you don’t claim CCA each year, when you sell your property, does anything get recaptured or is that only if you DO claim CCA? That is my understanding anyway.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Just a quick note to those advocating for amending the prior year returns if Depreciation was not declared.

    Amendments are not an option in this scenario.  You must prepare a form 3115 Change in Accounting Method in the current year to correct prior years and get the record set properly for going forward.

    The form is not for the faint of heart.  I recommend the OP engage with a competent CPA or EA to complete the filings.  And perhaps look for somebody who is willing to educate because there are definitely some gaps in OPs knowledge.

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 371 votes
    7y

    Wait, was the OP asking about property taxes?

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Immanuel Sibero:

    Wait, was the OP asking about property taxes?

    Highly doubtful since Depreciation has nothing to do with property taxes. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Island City, NY · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    Unless you are talking about complicated depreciation tactics like super pro to break all the assets down and get to maximize the benefit, depreciation for your property is pretty straight forward. Of course if you ask your accountant, it can be done right away. 

    Even you calculate the depreciation expense by yourself, accountants usually calculate it by themselves to make sure that the numbers are correct as depreciation expense is one of the biggest and most important element of your tax filing for your real estate property.

    If you like to take a look at the actual IRS guidance, here is the link.

     Most likely your property should be categorized for one of these.

    You should definitely find a competent CPA and have him or her solve the issue but I highly recommend you to study at least basics about not only depreciation expense but also accounting / bookkeeping for real estate / property management. 

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Joe Splitrock

    I have ZERO knowledge RENTAL of tax law, except from GOOGLE

    This is why I use BIGGERPOCKETS

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Joe Splitrock

    Your reply really doesn’t make sense

    I bought the home for 20k... my land value, the county said is 10k

    So now I take 10k divided by 27.5? Lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.