Landlord cash for keys gone bad.

Landlord cash for keys gone bad.

William CollinsPro Member
Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes

Here is a story of a real life issue I am currently working on. Not all landlord/investing things go right.

Setting: New Britain, Connecticut. A small city full of rentals mainly made for manufacturing plant workers housing. Most date from the 1900-1960 for construction.

In a triplex owned by my cousin and I we have a problem tenant on the third floor walk up. After December of 2018 things start going South. A mysterious relative has an issue, drawing the tenant out of state causing her not to pay on time. In Connecticut the law is that the rent is late on the 11th if due on the first. We serve her papers and she contacts us promising a catch up payment in the on the of February. We start down the process of eviction, and she registers a payment in our online Cozy portal, which bounces. She then promises to make a credit card payment which does occur and processes all the way through for just under $2000. In early March I get notice from Cozy that the charge has been disputed as fraud. Pursuing where the payment was made from and the credit card is not in the name of tenant on the lease. Cozy withdraws the money it deposited to my account and now we are sitting in the middle of March. Her electricity gets shut off and electric cords appear from the third floor going down to the basement to steal electricity from an owner outlet. We remove the cords and disable the plugs. The tenant swears it is a mix up, and go down the route of getting a lawyer enaged who recommends cash for keys. The apartment rents for $750, we offer $400 and it is taken. We meet the tenant on SUnday the 28th and we have her move out and then we change the locks.

As a horror story that one is pretty vanilla.... untilthe next day. That is when a couple with 3 children break into this 2 person apartment and claim they have been living their since November. They claim that tenant 1 sublet it to them and has robbed them off $60000. The law in CT prevents me from removing them with the cops and they become aggressive to my property manager. They also tell me that stage is now leaking from my sewer line every time they flush. They call the health department and claim that this has been happening a month. This get the city out there and they call the cops. Also a mysterious amount of trash appears (4 truckloads to be specific). So here I am sorting this out and the city calls saying they will condemn the place if not addressed by 10:00AM the next day. At this point I look like a slum Lord, not the business man I to be.

I rally the troops and I get out there clean all the crap, jet the sewer. I find out the sewer is backed up by a chunk of asphalt getting shoved inside it (wonder who did that). The city shows up with the fire marshall, health, and building department. They pictured going into world war three and in two minutes they realized the tenant number two (hereafter referred to as the squaters) are professional tenants who are trying to get a quick buck. Due to the city getting called the fire Marshall is required to make me bring the triplex to current fire code Thiswill cost me $4-5000. I now need to get the squaters out. That is $900 for an eviction, but the law says you can't evict someone who filled a health department complaint for 6 months. So let's see that will mean I am down 10x $750 in rent. 5,000 in fire upgrades and who knows what in damage at the end. Yeah that was a bad couple days.

Question for you- cash for keys the squaters or go long path on the eviction?

From a name search the squaters have been evicted 2x before. in the same town. On the note of screening. The original tenant met all of the checks,. good credit, 4x income, no evictions, no criminal record.

pay the squaters cash for keys to get moving on the repairs or evit

8Reply
218 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

You made 17 mistakes with the first tenant and then rewarded her with cash. She screwed you over and snuck in some squatters that are going to cost you even more. Now you are seriously considering paying them with cash?

Stop everything you are doing. Recognize that you do not know what you are doing. You've dug yourself into a hole and are trying to dig you way out.

Get the tenants out legally. While you are working on that, find a good property manager that can take over the property and turn it around. Either that or you should sell it and invest in mutual funds.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Joe Splitrock. You get what you pay for with cozy, since it’s free you will have issues. I’ve seen so many threads about tenants paying with a credit card, then claiming fraud through cozy and then cozy pulls the payment.

    They can’t do that with a PM who takes money orders and certified cash.

    I will likely never use cozy for this reason until they fix this

    I have read a couple discussions about the credit card issue, although some of those treads were the same guy, posting the same thing on every Cozy thread he could find. They just need to add an option to turn off credit card payments which would be crazy easy to do, so easy I question why they have not done it yet?

    I agree money orders and cash are very secure, but it in my case it isn't practical to require on B class properties where people all use checking accounts. When I had C rentals with low quality tenants, it was all money orders or cash.  

    Someone mentioned Zelle which is electronic and very secure. No way to reverse payments. The downfall is no interface purpose built for landlords. 

    As I add more properties, electronic payment is a must to keep the work load minimal. I also find that good quality tenants want to pay electronically. I can't think of a single monthly bill that you can't pay electronically, it is just the digital age.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @William Collins

    We own some rental properties in New Britain. It sounds like the problems were you accepted credit card and didn't secure the unit after it was vacated. Our New Britain PM only accepts checks (until one bounces) and money orders. We do not accept cards of any type. If you did not have the card payment they would have been out earlier. When we self-managed we never offered an amount with cash for keys. Let the tenant suggest the amount and it was always lower than what we were willing to pay. The break in is bizarre and will most likely never happen again but the NB fire marshals are all over the place and you should always secure the exterior doors with self-closing 30+ minute fire doors to avoid people breaking along with the fact that fire marshals will walk your building if it is open without your consent....the joys of land lording in NB.

  • Investor · Suffield, CT · Member since 2012 · 94 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @William Collins I had a tenant who destroyed my apartment and the city condemned my place (so no one could enter inside). I had to move them into a hotel and pay for it but now they were required to pay rent and when they stopped paying I started the eviction process. Also, my insurance cover the damage and paid me the rent as well. I did this with the aid of an attorney. But the main thing is to get them out of your property. Hope things work out it is a horrible story.

  • Ikenna OkaforPro Member
    San Antonio TX · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Wow! Crazy crazy! and they have kids. So sad

  • Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    Stopping credit card to Cozy would not stop the problem.  ACH transfers have been reversed on Cozy also.  I’m using cozy for now but looking for an alternate payment method.  Zella has too small a limit on payments for me.

  • Investor · Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @William Collins

    Since it's been several months since the initial development of the story I am wondering if thisgot anywhere close to fetting resolved? Please post an update. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.