Tenant wants to install ceiling fans

Tenant wants to install ceiling fans

Property Manager · Roxbury, CT · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 20 votes

My tenant wants to put ceiling fans in the unit he is renting from me. He said, he would buy the fans and his brother, who is an electrician, would do the wiring and install the fans for free. There is no ceiling lighting now so the electrician would have to do the wiring from the switch box on the wall to ceiling.

My question is, 1) should I allow him to do it ? 2)Get the electrician’s license number. 3) reimburse the tenant by way of paying less rent?

9Reply
197 views

Most Popular Reply

Forney, TX · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 101 votes
7y

If you want to install fans for the tenant then hire your own electrical contractor.  Nothing more dangerous than having Tenants bro-in-law who is an "electrician" install some jacked up wiring in YOUR house.  This is advice from a licensed master electrician (Me).  The only thing electrical we allow our tenants to do is change light bulbs.

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Roxbury, CT · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Chinmay J. Hi J, I like this idea. Thx

  • Property Manager · Roxbury, CT · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Baset Shagrun Baset, absolutely. I am elated with the response to my question. This forum has some much to offer.

    I just want to thank all of you for your thoughtful, unbiased answers to my questions. I am a beginner in this wonderful world of investing and I appreciate all those who replied.🙏🏻

  • Property Manager · Roxbury, CT · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Baset Shagrun

    So, I spoke with my tenant about installing ceiling fans. I told him that since his step-brother was NOT a licensed electrician, I could not allow him to do any work on my asset. I said I would look into the cost and get an estimate from MY electrician. My tenant agreed that “it is not that important and he appreciated me looking into it”. Case closed:).

    I personally would like to put the fans in and make my place better, but I don’t have the financial means to do this at this time.

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    This would be a whole lot easier if there were already light fixtures in the ceiling.

  • Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 190 posts · 64 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Adam Batcheller:

    @Baset Shagrun

    So, I spoke with my tenant about installing ceiling fans. I told him that since his step-brother was NOT a licensed electrician, I could not allow him to do any work on my asset. I said I would look into the cost and get an estimate from MY electrician. My tenant agreed that “it is not that important and he appreciated me looking into it”. Case closed:).

    I personally would like to put the fans in and make my place better, but I don’t have the financial means to do this at this time.

     Positive outcome!

  • Rental Property Investor · Keene, NH · Member since 2018 · 114 posts · 73 votes
    7y

    @Adam Batcheller, I don't think I'm fully understanding why your line of reasoning/questioning keeps coming back to whether or not you should pay the electrician who is offering to do it for free. Is it because you feel that transacting for services gives you some sort of recourse?

    I would require that the electrician provide proof of license and insurance. If he doesn't have either one, then I would say that the tenant must use an electrical contractor of your choosing at their expense. I would also require stylistic approval to make sure they aren't degrading the character of the property.

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    7y

    I wouldn't do it. Everyone has a brother or cousin who does some sort of trade for free. They're usually hacks doing it for free beer. 

    Let's say this guy is even licensed, is he insured? Because if not and he burns your building down your Sol. 

  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 184 votes
    7y

    @Adam Batcheller

    I wouldn’t let him do it. He rented the home out, as is, with no ceiling fans. Do they need to be there for it to be easily rented? I doubt it. I actually remove ceiling fans in the rentals I buy. One less thing to break down. I also had one fall down in a little girls room before. I guess it was getting loose for a while and of course I was never told. That could have been bad! I have never had a possible tenant say they were not interested in my rental because it had no ceiling fans.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 74 votes
    7y

    If he or she is a good tenant and you want to keep them in the property, offer to pay for the fans if they pay for the install (or vice versa) with the condition of signing a longer lease, say another 2 or 3 years. Then it's a win-win, the tenants feels their input was valued AND you even offered to pay for some of it...what a great landlord! And on your side, you get a good tenant secured long term. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Shannon Slade

    Because it’s impossible that the guy is an electrician? I like the advice of verifying he is and then the work can move forward.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Adam Batcheller

    Ok, I haven’t read all the comments, but why is everybody in a rush to hire a different electrician and pay more money? If you verify the guy is an electrician, then I don’t see a problem here. Now, if they’ve been a good tenant I would probably pick out and buy the fans myself. I usually install ceiling fans when I turn over a unit anyway. It’s a great selling feature.

  • Watertown, MA · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    Let me start by saying that I hate ceiling fans.  So much so, that I actually have in written in my lease that if a fan is to be repaired/replaced, it's replaced with a light fixture.  Ceiling fans love to break, and I have no desire to fix them.  The only fans you'll find in my properties are ones that have been inherited and have yet to be replaced with a light fixture.

    With that out of the way...

    If you're interested in having fans in your unit, it should be you purchasing them and you (or really your electrician) doing the install.  You don't need your tenant purchasing cheap or ugly fans, and you definitely don't need his family member doing the work.  That's a fantastic headache waiting to happen.

    As for a discount in rent: Why would that even be up for consideration?  He's the one that would like the fan.  Is it really worth knocking money off the rent for such a mundane improvement?

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmhurst, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    This is a very simple request and a small give to make a tenant happy. Personally, I installed my own ceiling fan when I was renting. These days they make the instructions very easy to follow. You don't have to be an electrician to do something basic like that. A month after I bought my apartment and moved out, I ran into my old landlord and he told me all the small upgrades I made to the apartment (i.e. lighting fixtures and fans) helped him rent out the place very quickly. Pays to be flexible. 

  • Property Manager · Roxbury, CT · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Sarah Doogle hahaha, this very 😆

  • Property Manager · Roxbury, CT · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick this is my first tenant ever. It turned out that when I explained my concerns, they didn’t want to pursue it. They are a young couple, both are very nice. They totally understand. Thank you for your input

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Nolan

    This is interesting. I have literally never had a ceiling fan break, in my rentals or in my homes. What have you found to be the biggest problems?

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt Nolan

    This is interesting. I have literally never had a ceiling fan break, in my rentals or in my homes. What have you found to be the biggest problems?

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Scott Mac

    Or, you and the 9 people that liked your post could talk to the tenant and the electrician and simply verify that he’s an electrician, and ok the ceiling fan being installed.

    Look, I’m generally a “no” on tenants performing their own upgrades. But did a lot of you miss the whole “electrician” part? Instead of panicking, just do a little due diligence and verify!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    I would want to approve the make/model of the fan so that I could decide if I though the quality was okay and not cause me a long term problem, and then I'd get the license # (and I'd probably look it up on my state website), and the I'd ask for a receipt saying they are paid in full including the receipt for the fans, and then...believe it or not...I might actually reimburse the tenant for them if I like them and think other tenants would like them.  The license would be very important to me.  

    Believe it or not, this is my standard response to good tenants who want screen doors, etc.  

    I would not give a rent reduction for this.

    I haven't had any problem with this approach.

    I have had problems with tenants who wanted to paint though.  They tend to paint things like doorknobs along with everything else.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick I haven't had one break but I did have one start to wobble and the are more more thing to have to clean between tenants.  

    My response to the OP though does say that I'd allow it under the conditions I listed.

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    @Pamela P.

    We did the same in the last house we rented. Installed a fan in 1 bedroom to replace a crummy light fixture. Liked it and installed one in the other bedroom.

    Our current place we own, and I have replaced most of the light fixtures myself. It is not hard if you know which end of a screwdriver to hold. Step 1, make sure the electricity to the fixture is off at the breaker panel.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lindale, TX · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Shannon Slade agree 110%. Bro-in-laws seem to always believe they are “electricians.”

  • Rental Property Investor · Lindale, TX · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Scott Mac

    Now that is a properly installed fan by the yoda of master electricians haha

  • Rental Property Investor · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    @Adam Batcheller

    Every time I allowed or asked a tenant to do something that was my responsibility as the landlord I burned myself with additional damages and expense. Thankfully after 3 such experiences, I learned better and now handle landlord duties without the tenants carrying the burden or concern. To my pleasant surprise, it’s just like my father said... doing it the right way the first time is cheaper!

    I ask tenants to replace their own light bulbs and cut their own lawn but real repairs we ask for notification and we handle them professionally and most often, quickly.

    Good luck.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Steven Parks

    Hi Steven,

    You may not have noticed it in the pic, but the fan is actually hanging from a bent hanger wire jammed between the wood strip and the drywall. 

    Yes a true Master Electrician.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.