Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Rehaan Khan
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Virginia, USA
Votes |
HOW DO I AVOID PAYING UNREASONABLE HOA FEES?

Rehaan Khan
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Virginia, USA
Posted May 19 2019, 20:42

I had recently bought an occupied condo in foreclosure auction. The previous owner is still living there. I went through all the legal steps to get possession & recently won a judgement of immediate possession. However, I still have to wait 10 days before the Sheriff will force the previous owner out. My question is regarding the HOA fees, I received in my mail yesterday. $410/month!!!! for all this time that the previous owner was living there. I feel like I shouldn't be paying this because the HOA did not inform me on time otherwise I would've asked them to cut off the utilities. Also, now that I have gotten a judgement of possession, can I cut off the utilities to the unit? & How do I explain to the HOA that I shouldn't be billed for all this time or is there a law/policy I can use against the HOA for not informing me on time or anything that would help me make a case? I really think this is unreasonable & I shouldn't be paying all these bills. Also, I know tenants are protected by law from getting the utilities cut off but in this case, there is no lease or rental agreement. I am the new owner through foreclosure auction, thats all.

Loading replies...