Unnecessary service calls? What to do?

Unnecessary service calls? What to do?

Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 49 votes

Hello! A tenant texted me and said the electrical outlets in her walls were making a "clicking noise." She included a screen-shot from her phone that said clicking sounds from an outlet could be faulty wiring and were a fire hazard. She said the breaker kept kicking off so she turned them off for safety. The words "fire hazard" got me concerned so I called an electrician who went out the same day to look at it.

After looking at the problem, the electrician called me and said that the "clicking noise" she heard was the sound of the compressor kicking on in a dorm sized refrigerator she had. Additionally, she had 4 space heaters running in the apartment. Every time the compressor kicked on it overloaded the circuit and blew the breaker. The electrician charged $90.00.

Here's my question -- how can I avoid things like this in the future? I can't go over there every time something like this happens, because I work full-time and live an hour away from the property. I don't want to be negligent and NOT send out somebody when the situation warrants, but I also don't want to pay for unnecessary service trips.  I just want to know what you all would do if (when) a similar situation happens again? 

Thank you!

0Reply
140 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Something I notice a lot of property owners don't do or don't do very well is having a reasonable conversation with the tenant about concerns.  In this case, simply explain your concern.  Discuss the current example and let her know that you want to be responsive and take care of the property but that if there continue to be unnecessary expenses, she will need to cover the cost.

Is this the only example or does this tenant have a history of these sorts of issues?  I think that probably informs how you handle this tenant, as well.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    You're in Kentucky. It's the end of May, almost June. There are four space heaters plugged in. What kind of main heating system does the apartment have?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    Your lease should have a clause that states tenants will be charged for unnecessary trips. Educate her in writing so you have a record of it and then hold to it.

    You may want to educate her on how to heat the rental. Space heaters are not safe long-term, especially four at a time. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Something I notice a lot of property owners don't do or don't do very well is having a reasonable conversation with the tenant about concerns.  In this case, simply explain your concern.  Discuss the current example and let her know that you want to be responsive and take care of the property but that if there continue to be unnecessary expenses, she will need to cover the cost.

    Is this the only example or does this tenant have a history of these sorts of issues?  I think that probably informs how you handle this tenant, as well.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Jacob is right.  Talk to her and politely explain your concerns.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    You could have a case here for charging this cost to the tenant.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 49 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    You're in Kentucky. It's the end of May, almost June. There are four space heaters plugged in. What kind of main heating system does the apartment have?

     HA! Jim the electrician and I were both scratching our heads on this one. The apartment has central gas heat. Don't know what's up with all the heaters.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 49 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    Your lease should have a clause that states tenants will be charged for unnecessary trips. Educate her in writing so you have a record of it and then hold to it.

    You may want to educate her on how to heat the rental. Space heaters are not safe long-term, especially four at a time. 

     Thanks Nathan. My concern is that if I come down on her "too hard" she will neglect to call when there IS a serious problem. I think it wouldn't have been an issue if I was able to visit first and take a look. Great advice! Thanks!

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 49 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Sampson:

    Something I notice a lot of property owners don't do or don't do very well is having a reasonable conversation with the tenant about concerns.  In this case, simply explain your concern.  Discuss the current example and let her know that you want to be responsive and take care of the property but that if there continue to be unnecessary expenses, she will need to cover the cost.

    Is this the only example or does this tenant have a history of these sorts of issues?  I think that probably informs how you handle this tenant, as well.

     Great advice. Thank you!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Adam Shelley:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    You're in Kentucky. It's the end of May, almost June. There are four space heaters plugged in. What kind of main heating system does the apartment have?

     HA! Jim the electrician and I were both scratching our heads on this one. The apartment has central gas heat. Don't know what's up with all the heaters.

     That clears that up in a hurry! There's only one fire hazard in that apartment, and you need to start moving her toward the exit at the end of her lease. There's no winning with bats*** crazy tenants.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    If she has forced air heat, she needs to learn how to use the heater and maybe put a sweater on. I can't believe the number of young tenants that crank the heat to 76 and then sit around in shorts and spaghetti-strap tank tops!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    Explain to her that using the gas heater will be cheaper and safer than space heaters. She pays the utilities I hope.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mcallen, TX · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    My contracts state that Landlord has the right to charge a service fee for every trip out to the unit. (To the tune of $90.00) Put on your seat belt folks, magic will happen. They will magically never call you for stupid and unnecessary events. Mike drop, lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Nathan G.

    The problem I see with this is how a court would interpret "necessary trip." The tenant could easily say she was concerned there was a fire hazard.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Does she know to open the vents on the registers to let the heat into the room and change the furnace filters?

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2017 · 209 posts · 367 votes
    7y

    My guess is that she has failed to pay the gas bill and it has been turned off. Is the water heater and range gas?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Adam Shelley

    You should pay close attention to @Don Gouge's post. That sounds like the least-crazy reason, all right.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I agree that a clause for necessary vs unnecessary service calls leaves too many gray areas. 

    @Adam Shelley I think another option for future leases is to have a clause written in that the tenant is responsible for the first X dollars in repairs/services.

    Could help minimize “unnecessary” service calls, but not deter them when bigger issues come up.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Nathan G.

    The problem I see with this is how a court would interpret "necessary trip." The tenant could easily say she was concerned there was a fire hazard.

     Necessity is determined after-the-fact. If you send a contractor and it turns out she is responsible, then you charge her.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Nathan G. - do you have that clause in your leases? Can you share the verbiage? Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Nathan G.

    So if tenant is concerned there might be a fire and they call you for a service call, and later it's found there was no issue, you charge the them?

  • Real Estate Agent · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Adam Shelley

    I would like to assume the worst and hope for the best. Your tenant may not be wise by running 4 heaters whilst having a working heating unit and that sounds like an issue that needs to be addressed. But your tenant was concerned, and they did the right thing by contacting you and you did the right thing by getting someone out there to examine the issue. Not too much that can be done differently.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    I have a clause in my lease after learning the hard way that states anything under $100 is the responsibility of the tenant.  This makes them think twice about frivolous calls.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    I have a clause in my lease after learning the hard way that states anything under $100 is the responsibility of the tenant.  This makes them think twice about frivolous calls.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    @James Sea and @CJ M.

    I've been responding on my phone so sorry for the short answers. Here's my clause:

    The worst case I ever had was a tenant that reported their furnace was out. We sent a plumber who replaced a few parts, tore the entire thing apart for cleaning/servicing, and he still couldn't get it going. Sent another plumber with a camera and he discovered the vent pipe had been stuffed full of rocks, balls, and trash. It's a high-efficiency unit that vents out the side of the house and their 3-year-old was having fun throwing things inside. The bill was over $1,000. We didn't charge her for the new parts but we did charge for the labor which was over $700.

    I often get tenants that call about electrical issues. I walk them through a few steps to reset breakers, test the device, etc. I still get situations where the electrician goes out, flips a breaker off and on, and everything is fine. I charge the tenant for that trip, especially when I just finished talking to them on the phone about how to reset a breaker!

    You don't have to be mean about it but you also shouldn't have to spend $75 for an electrician to push a button on a GFCI outlet. In the case of your current tenant, you should educate her on why it's wrong to run four space heaters and the dangers involved. It's usually best to send her something from an objective, professional source found online because it carries more authority. Include a short note that you will charge her the next time an electrician is called without cause.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Nathan G. - Thank you very much for the thorough response!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.