Has anyone used Only Choice Property Management

Has anyone used Only Choice Property Management

Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes

Im looking at working with Only Choice PM and wanted to hear from others that may have used them in the past. 

Please let me know what you think of them and if you would recommend them. 

Regards
Jeff

1Reply
170 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional · Aurora, CO · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 40 votes
6y

I had an awful experience with Only Choice PM.  I was with them for 3 1/2 years.  I left them in January 2020 and they won't give me the money left in my account.  They wanted me to sign a termination agreement noting a $10,000 fee for making any negative claims against them, posting negative reviews or contacting any governmental agency or the BBB.  If they need such agreement, it should tell you a lot about the internal issues with their company.  This company did not act in my best interest and they did not uphold their side of the contract.  Unfortunately, the individuals running this side of the business are NOT licensed and therefore may be unaware of the real estate rules and regulations regarding property management. 

They charged me for things they didn't do, for utility bills they didn't pay, inflated their prices.  My property was vacant for over 7 months and they didn't contact the online prospective tenant inquiries and told me they would ALLOW me a 15 minute phone call once a week.  There was a citation on the property they didn't take care of although they said they did.  Maintenance issues they said were completed were not done.    There was a Section 8 application on the property and after a month of waiting for the inspection, they lead me to believe the Section 8 inspection was being rescheduled.  When I contacted Section 8, it was cancelled over a month ago and no further activity on the property.  

The owners statements were sometimes late and many times incorrect.  The employee turnover was high.  They were slow to return calls if they returned them at all.  The Director of Compliance didn't take ownership, blamed others (on HER team) and didn't hold her team members accountable for their actions - not an effective team.  There was no oversight in the departments - leasing, maintenance, make-ready, billing, etc.  This was a nightmare!

They know about their negative reviews (on Google and BBB, OH BBB too) so I'm not sure why they haven't implemented anything to approve their services.

See this reply in the discussion

62 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jeff Betschart, I'm assuming they're in CO? If so, you may have better luck in the local Colorado forums.

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    No they are in KC, MO area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @jaysen medhurst , how do I find area specific forums? 

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Betschart,  I just closed on a home this month and am in the process of using Only Choice as my PM.  I can let you know how it goes but for now I am just starting off with them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Jason Medema

    Jason who did you purchase your house from.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Betschart

    I purchased through renttoretirement.  They deal with usreeb.  That process was great so far, they hooked me up with a great bank, Stifel bank, and insurance as well.  I personally dealt with @Zach Lemaster 

  • Zach LemasterBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Jason Medema They do a good job, and I also have dealt with Key Realty in the KC area that manages homes personally for me for many years.  I think they do an outstanding job as well.  Let me know if anyone needs me to pass out contact info on either of these.

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Zach Lemaster Id like to know a good of POC for Key Realty in teh KC area.

    @Jason Medema - RentToRetirement does their own Turnkey and if I remember USREEB aslo does turnkeys too. Can you explain what you mean "They Deal with USREEB"?

    Reagrds

    Jeff

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 46 votes
    7y

    Do NOT buy or use the PM service with this company. They will give you inflated sales numbers that are inaccurate to actual profits. I have been with them for 3 years with 3 properties. They are a F on the BBB and 2 stars on their google reviews. I have been lied to, over charged, charged for services I never used, promised credits that were never given and as of recent they are collecting money from my tenants and not giving it to me. I have canceled my service with their property management company and they are refusing to give me my keys to my own properties! They are completely ghosting me on emails, returning calls and responding to me in their portal. This is just a small portion of the nightmare the last year this company has put me through. Feel free to reach out to me for more detail.

  • Realtor · Broomfield · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Kevin Kite are you using a different pm service now?

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 46 votes
    6y

    @Marie Hill

    PM me

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Kite:

    Do NOT buy or use the PM service with this company. They will give you inflated sales numbers that are inaccurate to actual profits. I have been with them for 3 years with 3 properties. They are a F on the BBB and 2 stars on their google reviews. I have been lied to, over charged, charged for services I never used, promised credits that were never given and as of recent they are collecting money from my tenants and not giving it to me. I have canceled my service with their property management company and they are refusing to give me my keys to my own properties! They are completely ghosting me on emails, returning calls and responding to me in their portal. This is just a small portion of the nightmare the last year this company has put me through. Feel free to reach out to me for more detail.

     I hope I'm not late for this. I DO NOT recommend Only Choice PM at all. I've had a property with them and my experience has been nothing short of TERRIBLE. Stay away if you can. If you need more details feel free to reach out to me directly.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Juliano Silva Could you please explain what happened? 

    @Jeff Betschart I'm in the same situation right now trying to decide whether to go with USREEB or not, did you go with them? if not, who would you recommend? 

  • Anchorage, AK · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Juliano Silva:
    Originally posted by @Kevin Kite:

    Do NOT buy or use the PM service with this company. They will give you inflated sales numbers that are inaccurate to actual profits. I have been with them for 3 years with 3 properties. They are a F on the BBB and 2 stars on their google reviews. I have been lied to, over charged, charged for services I never used, promised credits that were never given and as of recent they are collecting money from my tenants and not giving it to me. I have canceled my service with their property management company and they are refusing to give me my keys to my own properties! They are completely ghosting me on emails, returning calls and responding to me in their portal. This is just a small portion of the nightmare the last year this company has put me through. Feel free to reach out to me for more detail.

     I hope I'm not late for this. I DO NOT recommend Only Choice PM at all. I've had a property with them and my experience has been nothing short of TERRIBLE. Stay away if you can. If you need more details feel free to reach out to me directly.

    I was in a very similar situation. 

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ahmed Youssef:

    @Juliano Silva Could you please explain what happened? 

    @Jeff Betschart I'm in the same situation right now trying to decide whether to go with USREEB or not, did you go with them? if not, who would you recommend? 

    It would be a long thread, but I'll summarize it for you. Comunication with them is really difficult. I've been trying to fix an issue in the basement of one of my properties, but it's been over two months without a solid answer. Long story short, they did not respond to either my emails nor the tenant requests to fix the basement, so I went to KC to see what was going on, and now the basement is under water and it's going to cost me a lot of money. I'm going through this as I type and it hasn't been fun. A few people from my real estate group had the exact same experience, if not worse, with them. They did change management but so far I'm very disappointed. I wouldn't recommend them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    I ended up going with Bridge for my properties and then went with Voepel for Property Management. The Bridge team was very professional and I have had nothing but good things to say about them so far. Voepel has also gone fairly smoothly so far but I have only been with them a few months. Ill update as time goes by. I also use M&M Property Pros in the area and they have been nothing short of excellent for me. 

    The more you ask the more feedback you will get. Just like that favorite restaurant that you love, that can do no wrong. However if you read enough reviews someone will say something you don't want to hear eventually.

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Betschart:

    I ended up going with Bridge for my properties and then went with Voepel for Property Management. The Bridge team was very professional and I have had nothing but good things to say about them so far. Voepel has also gone fairly smoothly so far but I have only been with them a few months. Ill update as time goes by. I also use M&M Property Pros in the area and they have been nothing short of excellent for me. 

    The more you ask the more feedback you will get. Just like that favorite restaurant that you love, that can do no wrong. However if you read enough reviews someone will say something you don't want to hear eventually.

     I met Voepel when I was in Kansas City and I wanted to go with them but they have a minimum of 5 properties before they can you on. Voepel seems solid. I like Plaid Management. They seem legit although I haven't had them as my PM yet. I'll report back once I figure it all out.

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Juliano Silva I got my first property in August with Rent To Retirement and used Stifel and Only Choice at their recommendation. RTR was great, Stifel was fine, but Only Choice has been a nightmare. I feel like I'm having to hand-hold my management company. Terrible communication, missing payments, longer than expected vacancies, and surprise bills that I am not educated on.

    On that note- if anyone recommends a different PM to transfer to for KCMO, I'd love to hear it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    I can tell you I have had good experiences with both M&M property Pros (almost 2 years) and Voepel almost 6 months. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 749 posts · 399 votes
    6y

    @Anna L. that is horrible! I was an out of state investor for years and fired all my PMs. Same situation we found here in KCMO. We were so frustrated but what we were seeing we started our own PM company. Own and run by investors for investors.  I can't stand seeing outrageous service charges, hard to understand monthly statements, poor communication, etc... We all work too hard to gain our rental properties just to watch PM companies squander opportunities and reduce our cash flow.  

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Dan Krupa would be interested to know more about your company!

  • Insurance Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 370 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    @Anna L. — @Colin Douthit at Atlas PM IS FANTASTIC!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Betschart:

    Im looking at working with Only Choice PM and wanted to hear from others that may have used them in the past. 

    Please let me know what you think of them and if you would recommend them. 

    Regards
    Jeff

     Never heard of them but I figured that you or others may be interested in reading The Ultimate Guide to Grading Kansas City Missouri Neighborhoods as I see several people have issues with this particular company. I've got no dog in that fight. Maybe they are bad, maybe not but lots of issues with Property Managers aren't really issues with the Property Manager at all. Many times it's cause by the tenant base. The tenant base is determined by the neighborhood, not the Property Manager.

  • Rental Property Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Like @Anna L. said:

    @Dan Krupa I would be really interested to know more about your company!

  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 749 posts · 399 votes
    6y

    @Anna L. and @Jeff Betschart absolutely. PM me and I am happy to answer any questions you might have. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.