Fair to refuse to pay for painting?

Fair to refuse to pay for painting?

Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes

I have a SFH which has been rented by same family for 10 years . I inherited the tenants when I bought it 4 years ago .

Even though they’re very messy , They always pay on the 1st of each month.  Now they want me to pay for house painting, which hasn’t been done in a decade. 

I’m reluctant because even though I’ve raised the rent each year ,  it’s still $150 a month below market . 

Is it fair to refuse to paint? What’s the usual protocol regarding painting when there are 

long term tenants ?

Thanks!

0Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 313 posts · 190 votes
7y

I don't think it's an unreasonable request after 10 years.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein

    Try to show them consideration in understanding how important it is to them.  Explain to them where you're coming from, and then see if you can work out something.  Perhaps paint if they can give you a commitment to rent long term and give them visibility into your planned rent increases to get yourself closer to market.  Good luck.

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 313 posts · 190 votes
    7y

    I don't think it's an unreasonable request after 10 years.

  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    You could refuse.  Legally nothing compels you to do that.

    However, this can be an opportunity to improve cash flow and tenant loyalty.   You can have a conversation with the tenants about their rent relative to market rents, recognizing your place is not in as good a condition.  Perhaps they would be willing to pay more per month for updated paint.   

    If you give the tenants some choice in the color scheme, you can increase satisfaction, increase the likelihood they will stay longer and increase pride in the property which may make it more likely they will take better care of it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    It's ok to refuse but I would repaint for a 10 year tenant that always pays on the 1st if it were me.  I'd do it without hesitation. 

    Since they are $150 below market,  you could begin to increase and easily stay below market.  That would help offset the painting cost.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    After 10 years, I'd paint it.  I'd also hope that you've been raising the rent as $150 below market value is quite a bit.  Can you paint it yourself?  Painting isn't that hard, you just have to take your time around the trim and ceiling.  You can get a 5 gallon pail or some mis-tints.

    If there are kids, you can ask them what colours they like and paint an accent wall in their bedrooms with that colour...obviously you get to pick the shade.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 167 votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein - 10 years without painting? Seems a little long... I would paint it for good tenants - hands down.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    7y

    Thanks everyone :)

    Actually I bought it 4 years ago ,

    not 10 . 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 174 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    simple way to look at it.  If you say no, do you think they will move?  If they move will you need to repaint?  If the answer is yes to both then why not just paint it now to keep good tenants that take care of the place and pay on time happy?

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein, I just went through a similar situation at one of my rentals. Tenant asks for additional AC, because it gets hot in there. Keep in mind he’s already got it, but he wants more.

    He’s a good tenant, so I did it. It was relatively cheap anyways. In your case, I’d get some quotes for painting, then see where you’re at. If you do, do the painting, then I’d say you should raise their rent to market rent.

    That’ll offset the cost

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    For properties of 3 or more units in NYC the landlord is required to paint every 3 years. I have 2 two family houses in NYC and i have it painted every 5 years and I pay for it.  My tenants are also long term..The shortest length of one of my tenants is 7 years.

    You have a 10 year tenant and that is real nice! You (as i do the same) didn't raise the rent to market value because $150/month isn't worth losing the tenant and possibly getting a tenant from hell.  If your current tenant leaves, you will paint the unit correct?

    You raise the rent every year ($150 below market is worth it for reliable tenants) I think 10 years is a long time and a paint job is due and paid for by you.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    For less than a gallon of paint per room and a couple of hours labor I think I'd freshen up the house.  "Good" long term tenants are a valuable asset and this isn't an unreasonable request. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    7y
    @Marci Stein interior or exterior? Exterior preserves your property. Interior will be a bit of a hassle with their belongings, especially if they are messy. Question is would you rather they move and you update for more rental income or paint a couple of rooms and kick the can down the road ?
  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    This is a good opportunity to possibly make them not messy. After 10 years of being a good tenant, and them asking for a paint job, it sounds like they plan to stay. Ask them to clean up the place, eliminate clutter, etc and you will paint. If it costs you a couple months worth of rent, to me that’s worth keeping them for years to come. And if they clean up and there’s a new paint job, they may be more inclined to keep the house nice.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If their request is for interior painting, consider a written agreement that they will have all walls cleared of their personal items (pictures, shelves they've put in, etc.) with the date range, adding in several days for delays, all personal belongings moved into the middle and covered, all at their expense, and that neither you nor the painters if you're hiring out will be liable for any damage to their personal property. It's so much easier to paint a vacant home than when a tenant is still in residence. And if they are smokers who smoke inside, then, no way. The walls will need to be washed down with TSP to get all the nastiness off, possibly sealed with original Kilz or other serious primer, and that is best done when vacant. If you don't wash it down first, you'll potentially have the smell sealed in the walls.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein Are they requesting the actual house siding to be painted or their apartment interior to be painted? 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    Assuming we're talking interior, I'd do it provided they arent smoking in there and they move all their crap to the middle of the room at least.

    If they are smoking in there anyway, no way. Painting now will save you a lot of work at turnover unless they are smokers, where you'll have to repaint again anyway.

    But painting for me is light work and I already have the paint. I'd do one (or 2 rooms if same color)  this month, one or 2 the next, like that.

    If painting for you is difficult or expensive because you're hiring painters in peak season, do a cost/benefit like anything else.  A 10yr tenant deserves some upgrades IMO.  

    Plus there are probably additional reasons like repair and protection going forward.  A rental bathroom and laundry room, window sills, caulk and sealant that hasn't been addressed in 10 years?  Mold and mildew and rot liability risk.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    7y

    To clarify , they have asked for interior and exterior paint . 

    The old owners didn’t do anything for 10 years , now I’m stuck with

    it all . In the 4 years since I bought it ,  already replaced electric and roof . 

    They’re good tenants and I want to be good to them , but it’s my business and I also need to make money . Hard balancing act . 

    So Thanks everyone for your feedback! 

    Looks like I will be investing in interior paint and will eventually recoup money with rent raises .

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein yeah I probably wouldn’t do both of those. Exterior paint? lol cmon. If they want to decide how the house looks, they can go buy it.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    7y

    @caleb - funny 😁 

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein

    What's the cost to repaint and what do you estimate the cost to re-rent if they moved out?

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    7y

    I’m not making more than $300 a month on this rental , as 

    opposed to $500 on others. 

    When they move out I will sell . 

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein

    In the time you've had these renters, how much have you spent on repairs? How much did you budget?

    Also, how are you calculating your $300/mo.?

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    7y

    I deduct taxes and water bill , and insurance , which are high in that area. 

  • Investor · Modesto, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein why are you going to wait before they move out?

  • Specialist · New Smyrna Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Marci Stein- maybe you supply the paint for their labor?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.