Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
7y
I communicate through text as my primary way of communicating with my tenants and they seem to like it. That way every conversation is documented and I don't have to remember who said what and when. I always keep it professional with a nice personality. It has helped a lot with my more difficult tenants. Then I have the option of waiting a few minutes or hours to respond and do it thoughtfully instead of getting into it with them on the phone. I have a Google Voice number and they all go through there. It's also nice because I can do the texting from my computer instead of my phone if I want. To me it's like a faster version of email. Another thing I do is put my Google Voice number on silent most of the time unless I'm trying to fill a vacancy. Tenants can call me but they'll have to leave a voicemail. I immediately will get the voicemail and get back to them right away if it's urgent, or later if it's not. It has been great this month because I gave my difficult tenant his 30 day notice and he has been harassing me ever since. This way I have it all on texts and don't have to take his repeated phone calls and then hang ups when he doesn't get his way.
Rental Property Investor · Houma, LA · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 23 votes
7y
@Charlie Moore
I will always revert back to the lease I sent photos of the lease tell to follow this with me. I explain the lease is enforced 100% and they signed this.
If the tenant sends me a paragraph or excuses I don’t acknowledge it. If they text a concern or something important I respond with when the technician will be coming and that we will be entering the property.
I recently had someone’s mom then aunt call mom cussing acting out....the first one caught me off guard I wasn’t very professional when I answered a phone getting cussed at. When the aunt called me I explained you are not on the lease I have no idea who you are and can not go into this with you. By the way the tenant is in their late 20’s having these people call
I deal with a lot of student rentals and Generation Z doesn't know how to speak over the phone. So when I sense they're getting emotional or after they think they're an attorney because they spent 60 seconds on Google, I will call them up to calm them down and smooth things over.
I have gotten angry once or twice via text and as soon as I sent the message I have told myself, okay I need to jump on the phone with this person.
Keep in mind tone can be interpreted in many different ways when you're just reading it and not hearing it.
I have a similar strategy as Peter with my student rentals. Texting/email provides the least amount of context and is only ideal for providing basic information (i.e. I will be there at 8:00 or the plumber is on his way). It is my experience that is incredibly unhelpful in solving problems. Context = everything.
When things start escalating, I require that one of my staff get on the phone with the tenants and talk it out. I even require them to physically go to the house and have a meeting if things go off the rails. This system has been instrumental in deescalating issues.
I deal with a lot of student rentals and Generation Z doesn't know how to speak over the phone. So when I sense they're getting emotional or after they think they're an attorney because they spent 60 seconds on Google, I will call them up to calm them down and smooth things over.
I have gotten angry once or twice via text and as soon as I sent the message I have told myself, okay I need to jump on the phone with this person.
Keep in mind tone can be interpreted in many different ways when you're just reading it and not hearing it.
text and e mail can and do get taken out of context.. when I follow along with my staff's e mails that they copy me on.. when I see them getting out of control.. I put on the brakes and tell them to pick up the friggen phone.. only not that nice..
Attorney, CPA, Broker & Author · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 532 posts · 488 votes
7y
@Charlie Moore Unfortunately I don't know. I'm very familiar with Android systems and Windows systems, but not that familiar with iPhones, as I don't have one. Sorry.
Deduct it from the security. You understand that’s illegal? Correct?
Using their deposit to FIX an expense
Not sure what you mean by expense, but if you need clarification... I wasn't talking about doing the work yourself.
I'd imagine that either this condition would stay the same untill the lease ended or they got evicted...either way their would be a move out inspection. At which time you'd document the damage and repairs as required by local law and deduct from security deposit.
Or maybe they handle the repair on their own to get the security deposit back...or maybe they sue you or threaten to sue because they felt it was wear and tear...
Maybe I'm ignorant here but isn't one of the main points of a security deposit is to handle situations where tenants damage property?
Investor · Member since 2017 · 239 posts · 149 votes
7y
@Trey Crusey totally agree. I used to give my cell phone to tenants but one day realized that was a bad idea when one tenant added me on whatsapp and started messaging me there (in addition to normal texts and email). It was too hard to track threads of conversation and more importantly I want to reserve Whatsapp to friend conversations, not rental “work”. I now use Tellus app for the rent collection but they also have built in chat that all gets backed up and has read receipts. I try to only communicate that way now so I can maintain privacy, have backup of everything (IMessage is not automatically backed up), and also the threaded convo makes it easy to find old messages and refer to them when needed. Added bonus? The tenants are more likely to send photos when maintenance is needed. Once saved me a trip or two by simply seeing photos of what “broke” and needed fixing. Anyways I would look for other communication solutions besides traditional texts. The Tellus app is free
Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
7y
@Charlie Moore yeah but it's because my rental was and absolute wreck and i was really questioning my "investment" decisions laying in 6 inches of water patching pipes in a blizzard.
With tennants though it's not worth the stress. Have a proper screening process and well worded lease agreement and there is nothing to argue about.
Not sure if it is legal or not but maybe charge a fee for every phone call or text over 5 a week? Then just enforce it when you have a problem tennant?
Maybe consider a direct to voicemail line or a virtual assistant? Then you can just ignore the bs calls.
Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
7y
@Dennis M. It's not real estate related but for laughs I downloaded a phone call recording app. I can't remember what it was called. But I had someone threaten me. I'm not typically into drama of any kind but he used some wording best left not repeated and threatened my wife. So, I promptly tracked him down and let them know what a poor decision that was and how he needed to apologize. He then called the cops and made up a completely fairytale story. The cops were ready to arrest me and the look on his face when i played that phone call back was priceless!
It could help. But depending on local laws it could mean the difference in a lengthy court battle or an open and shut case.
Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
7y
@Charlie Moore tell them you'll be happy to fix it but rent is going up $50 a month because piddly stuff like that and your time wasted in communication with them is costing a lot of money. They are now "high maintenance status" tennants.
Lol, i doubt that is even legal but they might shut up after that.
Rental Property Investor · Sedan, KS · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 92 votes
7y
@Mike Dymski LOL!
Emotions are a pain tho. I always wait an hour or more to respond when I am irritated with anyone or just in a bad mood in general. It really seema to help me at least.
@Charlie Moore I had an experience about what you're talking about. I used to collect rent at the every beginning of every month. I tried to keep nice and kind so if they delayed sometimes, I usually accept. But once, one of my tenants delayed for a couple of weeks. I was so angry and argued with him and planned to evict him. But finally I understand and forgive him after we agree to use an app called Tellus to collect rent automatically and handle all the property issues. When there's an argument, full communication is important. When it is needed, stop the lease.
Do not lose your temper with a tenant, if you react to their nonsense it will show vulnerability.
I just gave a tenant a non renewal of lease notice face to face since I live in the building. It did not go well - she began screaming at me and threatening me. I did not scream back and just left and told her I am not going to be spoken to the way she was speaking to me.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 23 votes
7y
Don't lose your temper while texting and put your emotions down while having an argument. They make things worse. Resolve issues by negotiation. But if you want to end the lease, stay calm.