Adding tenants on facebook!

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y

Geez no way ! Look You should be professional and have a separate account . One for business and a private one for friends and family . It’s okay to be friendly with tenants .. however it’s not okay to actually be friends .  

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    I don't have Facebook but if I did I wouldn't do it.  Why would you want your tenants to see all your personal info, family, vacation photos, etc?  No good can come from it.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Geez no way ! Look You should be professional and have a separate account . One for business and a private one for friends and family . It’s okay to be friendly with tenants .. however it’s not okay to actually be friends .  

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Hell no...... I don't want them within my personal life in any way shape or form. If you want to use FB for your business, then have a separate account for that and allow tenants to be "friends" on that page..... but NO WAY on my personal account.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.

    Wow! This is a hard pill to swallow but so true

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    This is the most emphatic NO I've ever given here on BP. Every piece of advice on this website is debatable, but I can't imagine anyone would advise this would be a good idea. 

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Nick C.

    So true. Every piece of advice seems to be very debatable on this damn forum lol

    Except for this one!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I have applicants try to friend me on Facebook. No way! I do have a few former tenants on my friend list, but not current ones. Well, except for the ones who were friends before they were tenants. (Yes, I know, don't rent to friends or family, but it works for us.)

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y

    That’s a big heck no.  I don’t even tell my tenants my last name.  I’m Eric C to them and in correspondence.  Heck I have friends that I don’t want them to see my vacation pictures let alone a tenant. 

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Eric C.

    What do you do when they ask for ya last name?

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 125 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    @Eric C.

    What do you do when they ask for ya last name?

     "I will no longer be Homer J. Simpson.  From this day forward I will known as Homer Jay Simpson"

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore

    In the past (I’m no longer on fb), when I’ve gotten requests from tenants, I would text them and explain that I keep business and personal life separate. They understand and there’s no hard feelings. But it’s a big NO.

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    @Eric C.

    What do you do when they ask for ya last name?

    Never happened.  I run a business and use a business name.  Even if someone asked me I’d ignore it deflect it or just flat out refuse.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Stumpf:
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    @Eric C.

    What do you do when they ask for ya last name?

     "I will no longer be Homer J. Simpson.  From this day forward I will known as Homer Jay Simpson"

    Lol

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore

    Negative. Unless your Facebook page is a page strictly for your business. Do not be friends with tenants. Rule 1.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Eric C.

    Fool. You need your last name to take them to court

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    7y

    This is why owning through an LLC is nice. I'd love to see the tenant add 4125 Secret Landlord LLC, or some similar name, on Facebook.

  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    7y

    I wouldn’t. There needs to be a line between you and tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    @Eric C.

    Fool. You need your last name to take them to court

    Not when I have a business LLC. My name does not go on court documents at all. EVER.

    There’s a million things in life you learn as you go on.  Me being insanely private is one of them.  

  • Ryan SajderaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Manhattan, KS · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 89 votes
    7y

    Please, don't add your tenants on facebook. This is a terrible idea. Especially if things go south.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winona, MN · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 90 votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore, I would not. However, I do like looking up prospective tenants on Facebook — many of their pages give you a good idea about how they conduct themselves.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore I had a tenant message me on FB asking if was the one who owned XXXX property (we have property management in place.)

    I didn't respond, nor do I plan on doing it.

    As others have mentioned, no good can come of it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 295 votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore I would not. My 1 friend who is a landlord accepted a tenants friend request and through this he found out the tenant got a new puppy (lease states no pets at all) so sucked for her and worked out for him hahaha.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    @Heather Schmidtknecht

    Isn’t that discriminatory

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore pretty much every time you lost asking one of these types of questions...just do the opposite. You’ll do so much better.

    Want to add tenants on FB? Don’t do it.

    Don’t want to pay that 2000 dollar water bill? Sorry, you have to pay it.

    Hire an employee who flirts with your tenants? Don’t do it!

    Bonus scenario: Rent to a person with multiple evictions, low credit? Don’t do it!

    You get the idea

  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore. You need to keep a professional relationship with your tenants. Do not even think about adding them on Facebook. There is not any upside to doing it. Plus if something goes wrong such as they think you have not made a repair fast enough or they decide to stop paying the rent, they could message your family and friends to complain about you.

    I would not only not accept the request, I would make sure that all of your posts are set to be for friends only and that your about section is friends only too (not for public) and I would block them. Then I would either text or email them to let them know that you noticed their friend request but that you have a policy to not friend your tenants because you want to keep the relationship professional.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.