Security System Recommendations

4 Replies

I've had some minor thefts/ vandalism at one of my properties. Its a 16 unit building. I'm considering a system like this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/8-channel-surveillance-dvr-with-4-hd-cameras-and-mobile-monitoring-capabilities-63890.html

I need at least 4 cameras to cover outside. This one goes up to 8 so I could put some inside in halls/ common areas if I wanted. Anyone else used this one or recommend another. In general pros/ cons/ considerations.

Thanks!

I like UniFi Protect, but it does require a bit more upfront work as the cameras are wired. The bonus is local storage, with easy remote access from the app, and security. Personally, I would never trust a third party to store audio and video surveillance of my home or business.

We have used simplisafe and ADT.  ADT requires a tech to set it up and about double the upfront costs.  Monthly fee costs for us was around 50/month.  Simplisafe doesn't require a tech, you set it up yourself.  Upfront costs were about 1/2 and the service plan had 2 options of 15 and 25 a month.  We have some tenants who use the system from the local cable company, for most locally that is Xfinity.  The ADT hardware does seem more durable but we switched over to simplisafe because it is simple and far more cost efficient.  They also have cellular plans for when you don't have wifi