Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,807 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Yesterday!

    Applicant: I'd rather give you first month's and the deposit today, if I don't I'm afraid I might spend it!

    Really? Okay, pay me a month ahead of time and sign this automatic draft.....what day does your VA Check come in....on the first right? Ok, we will draft it on the second, no problem! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Listed my MIL apartment for rent. The listing clearly states from the first to last sentence that it's an apartment above my garage, etc. The pics are just of the apartment.

    I get all kinds of degenerates showing up immediately without even attempting to contact me, knocking on my door asking about the house for rent for 1K. I tell them it's the apartment, not the house, as was clearly described in the listing.

    Yet they think the 750K house that would rent for 3.5K, 3,500 square feet, two kitchens, four baths, 6 beds, three living rooms and two dining rooms with a 3 car garage rents for 1K a month....and they show up without even trying to contact me. Absolute geniuses.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I had my assistant with me today at a showing for an apartment.  He asked me, "Why is there always a guy present who is never going on the rental application?"

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    This is a little off topic, but I found it quite interesting.  Had a tenant in one of my condos for 18 months, the last 6 months on a month to month.  He gave notice on April 30, said he will be vacating on May 31.  Today, I get a text from a friend of his who says that his friend (my tenant) has vacated and turned the keys over to my property manager, and HE (the friend) wants to know when HE can get the security deposit back.  I, of course politely inform him that since our lease is with the tenant, the TENANT will be receiving notification from us and return of any security deposit refund due him.  I then get a text back explaining that he (friend) had lent the tenant 1/2 of the security deposit, and he is worried that if I refund the security deposit to the tenant he will never see his money.

    Since I already explained our position, I don't answer the latest text.  Tonight I get a text from someone claiming to represent the "friend", informing me that in his "legal opinion" the friend should be getting the security deposit, not our tenant.  To have a little fun I asked him what was the basis of his "legal opinion".  His answer was "the law".   I don'know about you, but I'm convinced! 

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I recently showed one of our properties and while waiting for this person pulled up some weeds from a front yard flower bed.  It had recently rained so the ground was very soft.

    After the walk through we were standing outside and this person asked if I'd ever seen snakes around the place because they were deathly afraid of snakes.  Not unusual (I once had a tenant terrified of grasshoppers).  She looked down at the flower bed and said "there's a snake!"

    I said no, that's an earthworm (I had disturbed it pulling weeds).

    She said "those things turn into snakes!"

    I figured it was best not to rent to 1. someone who had such a phobia and/or 2. who had managed to sleep through her entire high school science semester.

    Gail

  • Susan H.Pro Member
    Investor/Landlord · NWA, AR · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 132 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    I recently showed one of our properties and while waiting for this person pulled up some weeds from a front yard flower bed.  It had recently rained so the ground was very soft.

    After the walk through we were standing outside and this person asked if I'd ever seen snakes around the place because they were deathly afraid of snakes.  Not unusual (I once had a tenant terrified of grasshoppers).  She looked down at the flower bed and said "there's a snake!"

    I said no, that's an earthworm (I had disturbed it pulling weeds).

    She said "those things turn into snakes!"

    I figured it was best not to rent to 1. someone who had such a phobia and/or 2. who had managed to sleep through her entire high school science semester.

    Gail

     Gail, you just reminded me of an applicant touring one of our homes that's set in a hilly wooded area with creeks nearby. After touring the house I opened the back door, pointing out the nice fenced yard with grassy area, trees, flagstone patio. She wanted to know if there were any frogs in the yard. I told her (honestly) that I'd seen rabbits, possums, and even an armadillo a time or two but couldn't remember frogs. She told me she'd faint if she saw one.  

    Kids loved the place, husband loved the place, she loved the place. All except for the chance of frogs, of course. 

    I wished them well in their house search.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    9y

    Voicemail from real estate agent" So I am trying to find the house, there is a 24 and a 28 but no 26 and no house that looks like the picture, so the listing must have the wrong address" I call back, agent is trying to insist the house doesn't exist at the listed address because her nav system had her in the right place. I'm like, look, I am also property manager of that house, it does exist, on the west part of the street, it does look like the picture, your nav took you to the east part!

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Susan H.:
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    I recently showed one of our properties and while waiting for this person pulled up some weeds from a front yard flower bed.  It had recently rained so the ground was very soft.

    After the walk through we were standing outside and this person asked if I'd ever seen snakes around the place because they were deathly afraid of snakes.  Not unusual (I once had a tenant terrified of grasshoppers).  She looked down at the flower bed and said "there's a snake!"

    I said no, that's an earthworm (I had disturbed it pulling weeds).

    She said "those things turn into snakes!"

    I figured it was best not to rent to 1. someone who had such a phobia and/or 2. who had managed to sleep through her entire high school science semester.

    Gail

     Gail, you just reminded me of an applicant touring one of our homes that's set in a hilly wooded area with creeks nearby. After touring the house I opened the back door, pointing out the nice fenced yard with grassy area, trees, flagstone patio. She wanted to know if there were any frogs in the yard. I told her (honestly) that I'd seen rabbits, possums, and even an armadillo a time or two but couldn't remember frogs. She told me she'd faint if she saw one.  

    Kids loved the place, husband loved the place, she loved the place. All except for the chance of frogs, of course. 

    I wished them well in their house search.

    Our "Cottage" was for rent and it's advertised as a gardener's dream because it has a fenced organic vegetable garden, flowers beds with 12 rose bushes, and 6 fruit trees. We were showing it to a couple and I asked "How do you feel about gardening?" The husband replied, "I suppose it would be okay. Doesn't matter much to me. Never tried it." The wife then added, "Well, I'll tell you this... if I see a slug, that's it for me, I'd run back into the house!" Well, obviously they weren't a good match for the property. Besides, we live in the Pacific Northwest and slugs are a common woodland creature here! Some visitors even come here to see these amazing "snails without shells" in their wide array of colors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Or who use weird names that aren't their real names, or those who email me from another persons account. You can't get a free email account under your own name??

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly H.:

    Voicemail from real estate agent" So I am trying to find the house, there is a 24 and a 28 but no 26 and no house that looks like the picture, so the listing must have the wrong address" I call back, agent is trying to insist the house doesn't exist at the listed address because her nav system had her in the right place. I'm like, look, I am also property manager of that house, it does exist, on the west part of the street, it does look like the picture, your nav took you to the east part!

    A few months ago I had a couple who emailed me because they couldn't remember the address. They emailed me from the zillow email thread that we had been chatting via, which included the address right in the subject line. I told them it was the same address as the subject line of the email they were emailing me from, the same address I gave them two days earlier...

    Reminds me of the guy who called and asked the same question about price three times within the first 10 seconds, despite the fact it was listed not only in the first characters of the listing body but also the listing text box for price. After the third time he asked me I told him the answer didn't change since the last two times he asked me and that this information was listed in the listing, but he doesn't seem to have the intellect to function normally so I was going to pass on him...

    Just now I had a dozen low income geniuses hound me because when I posted about my friends wife's abrasive behavior, calling me a loser at the table (she makes $13 an hour at 39...) and how I thought it was funny since I'm a millionaire and pay more in taxes than both of them combined gross in a year, the idiots on reddit attacked me saying I'm pretentious and a douche...

    1) I don't think they know what the word pretentious means, since it's pretending to have more than you have and I actually do have what I say I have 2) I found it funny that despite my friends wife calling me a loser despite it actually being the other way around, her being a loser and me being a success, I was considered the bad guy by the low income reddit morons....

    98% of the world is filled with idiots...

  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    9y

    So a current tenants brother applied for a place.... He is staying short term with current tenant..

    I get a call from another tenant in the building...  He thinks the brother is rummaging through his truck.

    I went to the building today to address the issue and take care of some small maintenance issues.

    So I ask the brother, what was he doing by the other tenants truck???

    He says, "It is all a big misunderstanding... You see I went outside and lit up a bowl, and he startled me so I jumped behind his truck" 

    I said, "Well I appreciate your honesty but you can't do that either" SMH.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Applicant: "What does 'length of employment' mean?"

    Me: "Uh ... how long you've worked at your job ..."

    Applicant: "Oh, okay."

  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    9y

    Applicant: 'How much is trash delivery?'

    Me: 'I'm not sure how much they charge to deliver trash to you but the town does pick it up for free.'

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • East Falmouth, MA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Wow,SOUNDS FAIR. Let's all laugh and make jokes on people who recieve assistance for housing or are struggling with their own personal issues.It's disgusting to see a bunch of bloggers actually join such a site to make fun of People. GROW THE HELL UP ! We are all the same species.Some of us didn't grow up with money and actually work for a living everyday. Don't judge unless you have walk in these people's shoes. You all really sound like you having nothing else better to do than write about people who are in dire need of help you must feel so great about yourselves after being part of this blog. So Classy..

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    One post and not a clue as to the purpose of this forum.  Batting 1000 there.

    Gail

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cynthia N.:

    Wow,SOUNDS FAIR. Let's all laugh and make jokes on people who recieve assistance for housing or are struggling with their own personal issues.It's disgusting to see a bunch of bloggers actually join such a site to make fun of People. GROW THE HELL UP ! We are all the same species.Some of us didn't grow up with money and actually work for a living everyday. Don't judge unless you have walk in these people's shoes. You all really sound like you having nothing else better to do than write about people who are in dire need of help you must feel so great about yourselves after being part of this blog. So Classy..

    I didn't grow up with money.  There were periods we didn't have any telephone, no electricity,  no running water. This is a lot worse than a lot of people have it today. But I worked hard to better myself. There are lots of people out there who don't care about trying to better themselves. I have nothing but respect for people who work their butts off to give themselves and their families better lives.

  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    9y

    Cynthia - actually the theme of this thread is to share funny antidotes about the outrageous things that we as landlords encounter from all prospective tenants. It has nothing to do with bashing people on housing assistance, although a few here have clearly stepped into that arena.

    If I were a prospective tenant reading this thread I would be noting the things that I shouldn't say to my next potential landlord that would get my tenancy rejected. I would also be noting what type of landlord that I might want to rent from in the future based on the type of responses given here. 

    Rick

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • East Falmouth, MA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I Apologize let me refraze,some of you not all, are here discussing topics and making jokes about renters recieving public assistance and having personal problem ect..Im just asking if anyone on here actually knows that it's Morally wrong and discriminating. I don't think there is a site for renters discussing how they feel about Realtors, Investors, Landlords just stating.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    from East Falmouth, Massachusetts

    from East Falmouth, Massachusetts

    "discriminating." Legally inaccurate. " I don't think there is a site for renters discussing how they feel about Realtors, Investors, Landlords just stating" Incorrect; there are a good number of sites where tenants can complain about landlords, etc. Gail
  • Susan H.Pro Member
    Investor/Landlord · NWA, AR · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 132 votes
    9y

    @Cynthia N. welcome to Bigger Pockets!

     If you're a renter and having issues, post a comment to the Renters Forum (see https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/81-renters). That forum is "for renters who are looking for advice in dealing with their landlord. Ask questions about dealing with landlords, leases, tenant rights and other important issues." 

    As with any forum, you may find some posts helpful and others less interesting to you. It's easy to scroll past anything that doesn't interest you. And as you spend more time on the site you'll find that a significant majority of participants are helpful and courteous to all.

    Whether you're a tenant or a landlord, there's quite a lot to learn from this site! 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    Landlords are business people , not charities ,  personal issues are not our problem .  I would say most of the people here were not born with a silver spoon in their mouth .  Landlords  are not responsible for others poor life choices or their unfortunate situation .  And believe it or not , its all about the money , you dont pay , you dont stay . I have a family that I support , I dont need to support someone elses family . Thats why we have criteria that tenants must pass , the most important is their ability to PAY .

  • Rick BassettBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Greater New Haven, CT · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 434 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    Landlords are business people , not charities ,  personal issues are not our problem .  I would say most of the people here were not born with a silver spoon in their mouth .  Landlords  are not responsible for others poor life choices or their unfortunate situation .  And believe it or not , its all about the money , you dont pay , you dont stay . I have a family that I support , I dont need to support someone elses family . Thats why we have criteria that tenants must pass , the most important is their ability to PAY .

    You raise an interesting point here but I look at tenant selection as being much more than a simple financial transaction. Certainly their ability to pay is an important factor but so is: their track record of treating the property with respect, being drama free and getting along with the neighbors (or at least not causing conflict with the neighbors). By treating our tenants with respect (and not being a push-over) then they tend to stay a long time and take care of the property as it feels more like 'home' to them. This minimizes our turnover costs/time involvement and puts us in a more favorable standing with my lenders.

    Rick

    Bassett Property Management5108 Reviews
  • Flipper · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    I'm kind of looking forward to having some of these stories for myself.

    Pure gold. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cynthia N.:

    Wow,SOUNDS FAIR. Let's all laugh and make jokes on people who recieve assistance for housing or are struggling with their own personal issues.It's disgusting to see a bunch of bloggers actually join such a site to make fun of People. GROW THE HELL UP ! We are all the same species.Some of us didn't grow up with money and actually work for a living everyday. Don't judge unless you have walk in these people's shoes. You all really sound like you having nothing else better to do than write about people who are in dire need of help you must feel so great about yourselves after being part of this blog. So Classy..

     I was born into poverty in a third world country, and had every disadvantage in life you can imagine. Stood on my own two feet and became a millionaire through hard work and good decision making skills. You sound like the winners who email me and immediately attack me asking why I require a deposit and credit score, I must be some rich guy who tries to torture the working poor. Yeah brah, that's exactly it...That's why I require a deposit and a decent credit score...the bank tortures me like that too to qualify for millions in loans...It's just not fair...lol

    Oh, that reminds me of one of my tenants who trashed my house and hadn't paid rent, and then told me to go back to my own country. I enjoyed sending that loser to collections after kicking her out...How unfair that she had every advantage in life that I didn't, yet I made it and she didn't. Tough cookies whatever your name is...

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cynthia N.:

    I Apologize let me refraze,some of you not all, are here discussing topics and making jokes about renters recieving public assistance and having personal problem ect..Im just asking if anyone on here actually knows that it's Morally wrong and discriminating. I don't think there is a site for renters discussing how they feel about Realtors, Investors, Landlords just stating.

     I did a tour for a lady that had a job and had been on Section 8 for the better part of two DECADES. She had designer clothes and a BMW...You were spouting off about what now? Welfare is a way of life??

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.