Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,623 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • West, MI · Member since 2012 · 674 posts · 182 votes
    14y

    Thanks for the laughs. I always figured I would write a book someday with all the random/crazy stuff I've dealt with a saw.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    Perspective tenant: Oh, my credit got hurt when I was drinking I pay my bills now.

    Me: Oh really, did you quit drinking?

    PT: Yes, I went to rehab, it was court ordered. It really worked, I only drink socially now.

    Me: Oh really.....here is the application, you can mail it to me and we will contact you if you qualify.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I love this thread! I'm in the process of renting a property now, and I can't count how many tenants on rental assistance say it's too small for their dining room set, their king size bed, etc. I'll have to think of a few more.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Robin Grimes:
    Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

    I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
    I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

    .

    I'm saying also that "I do a credit check on everyone who is 18+ that is on the lease."

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y

    "Your paper says you don't take felons. Who exactly do you consider a felon?"

    "So what counties do you do a background check in?"

    "Can my DUI ticket count as ID?"

    "It says small dogs allowed, so can I bring my pitbull puppy?"

    "Is it cool if I park my Harley in the living room at night?"

    "Do you know if there is an elementary school within 1000 feet of here?"

    "Why are you looking at me like I said something stupid?"

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y


    Did you laugh? Or reach for your Glock?

    Brilliant post/thread, Robin.

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jon K.:


    Did you laugh? Or reach for your Glock?

    Told him yes, gave a half hearted laugh. Then told him to kick rocks before I called the cops.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

    Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

    But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
    The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes
    14y

    After filling out Application and paying application fee.
    Tenant Applicant says: "We won't be ready to move in until the kids are out of school June 1st. You will hold it for us if we pay deposit right?"
    Me: Sorry, June is 3 months away. You would have to rent it now.

  • John FedroPro Member
    Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 410 posts · 295 votes
    14y

    It is amazing what some people will have the guts to ask. What landlords are giving into these types of concessions that make prospective tenants think they are entitled to ask such rude, lazy, and ignorant questions?! Great post Robin

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2011 · 100 posts · 86 votes
    14y

    “the lease says ‘no smoking’ you just mean cigarettes right?”

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jonathan Sowinski:
    “the lease says ‘no smoking’ you just mean cigarettes right?”

    Ha, you just reminded me. "Are you 420 friendly?"

  • Real Estate Investor · Hartville, OH · Member since 2010 · 148 posts · 174 votes
    14y

    "I don't really have a job.....but my parents give me money all the time"

    "I'm looking for a place for me and my baby's daddy for when he gets out of jail"

    "If I give you a deposit now can you hold this place until May?" (This was in January)

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    14y

    All great reasons I am not a landlord. But, I get a few whackos during open houses I am selling.....

    1. I know you said For Sale by Owner. How Much is the lease?
    2. So you accept housing?
    3. I will pay you the deposite when I get my unearned check.
    4. I got a deposite and 3 months rent. Do you check references?

    I have the same answer for all of them too. Except it is, "do you really think I will spend $20k to $30k just so you can move in here and tear the place up?"

    I don't have as much cooth as the rest of you.
    Don

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I just had someone email me about a rental property where I advertised the security deposit was $1100. She said that all she had was $900 for a security deposit.

    So I replied that it sounded like this place wasn't in her budget.

    She answered that the rent assistance program would pay for her rent, that she only has $900 for the security deposit, and that she was a single mom who just moved here from California.

  • Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 90 votes
    13y

    "My boyfriend make good money, he's a rapper"
    Um, like a gift "wrapper" at Dillards? (it was Xmas time)
    Naw, like a "rapper - pft, pt, pffft" *makes rapping sounds into the phone*
    Uh, huh... please submit two years tax returns with the application as he is self employed.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Shane Keilers:
    ... please submit two years tax returns with the application as he is self employed.

    That what you actually said, but I'm sure what you MEANT to say is "he is self UN-employed."

  • Landlord · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2011 · 120 posts · 96 votes
    13y

    For the first time, we have a tenant where Social Services pays the rent. This started after the tenant was already here; I don't accept DSS.
    Me: "rent is due on the 1st, and if not paid by the 10th, the tenant will be charged a $15 late fee."
    Caseworker: "We send the voucher on the 5th, you sign and send back, and then we send out the check. I'm sure it won't be there by the 10th monthly."
    Me: "Then the tenant will be charged a late fee every month."
    Caseworker: "Well, that's not fair! It's our fault, not the tenant's."
    I didn't say much after that, but I was thinking "It's unfair that the tenant has to pay a whole $15 per month for rent, and I pay the rest through my county taxes? Pleeease."

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I had a lady with a Section 8 voucher ask if the house had "granite counters" and "stainless appliances".

    I said, "You're on welfare and you demand stainless and granite?"

    She then "lectured" me that Section 8 is not welfare. I asked her where she thinks the money comes from and she replied, "The government. They make it."

    Whatever.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Shane Keilers:
    "My boyfriend make good money, he's a rapper"
    Um, like a gift "wrapper" at Dillards? (it was Xmas time)
    Naw, like a "rapper - pft, pt, pffft" *makes rapping sounds into the phone*
    Uh, huh... please submit two years tax returns with the application as he is self employed.

    Haha! that is awesome! I only WISH the duds I have screened were that entertaining.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    This thread is golden! I got really lucky with rental #1, so I don't have anything to contribute right now, but I am sure I will down the road.

    Keep em coming landlords!

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    13y

    Not as exciting as the other ones here, but today I got a call from someone. I had to wait on the phone while the man translated each statement I made into Spanish for the woman. I guess they were outside because there were loud airplane and car sounds during the call too. The call was dropped twice (or they disconnected?) during the conversation and I had to call them back.

    When they arrived at the showing the man asked me if I do background checks for felonies.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Brian Hoyt:
    Originally posted by Shane Keilers:
    "My boyfriend make good money, he's a rapper"
    Um, like a gift "wrapper" at Dillards? (it was Xmas time)
    Naw, like a "rapper - pft, pt, pffft" *makes rapping sounds into the phone*
    Uh, huh... please submit two years tax returns with the application as he is self employed.

    Haha! that is awesome! I only WISH the duds I have screened were that entertaining.

    Be careful what you wish for Brian. I've got so many "humorous" dud stories from this latest go around that I'm just numb at this point.

  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    13y

    "I would need to move in quickly because I am being evicted next week."

    "Would you be willing to finish the basement?"

    "Does a chicken count as a pet?"

    "I don't have any money for the security deposit, so would it be ok if I just paid an extra $10 per month until it was paid in full?" ($975 deposit)

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Rob K:
    I had a lady with a Section 8 voucher ask if the house had "granite counters" and "stainless appliances".

    I said, "You're on welfare and you demand stainless and granite?"

    She then "lectured" me that Section 8 is not welfare. I asked her where she thinks the money comes from and she replied, "The government. They make it."

    Whatever.

    Ridiculous woman. They just "make" the money? Ha, wow. That's disturbing.

    No wonder section 8 gets such a bad rap. Welfare of any kind should be a temporary "oh s**t I'm almost homeless on the street and need to get a roof of some sort over my head until I can support myself again" program. Not a "I want granite and stainless. It's called... get a job, honey. And by job, I don't mean "using" my tax dollars. Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.