Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,696 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    6. Guy calls and has a job and 2 pit bulls. I remind him the ad specifically says, right at the top, "one full grown pet under 20 pounds". He laughs and says, "yeah, I thought I'd have trouble with that one."

    Ha. At least he's honest about it.

    Still a waste of time. And he tried to test the landlord - if you accept this person as a tenant, be prepared to get "tested" some more.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y

    I've had a lot of turnover in the last few months while I brought a couple new properties on line.

    3 bedroom townhouse in a trendy neighborhood being offered for $900, a little below market: 

    1. "I can only pay $700 a month and am moving in July. Hold it for me okay" (this was April)

    2. "I thought I'd be buying a house so I didn't renew my lease. But it turns out I have bad credit so that didn't happen yet. I just need somewhere for my family to be for a few months while I take care of it. But of course I'll sign a year lease and then you can do whatever you need to do to garnish my wages." Uhhhhhhhh. Interesting. Pass.

    3. Walking through the house grimacing at every part of it that might be made out of wood, saying "I'm a carpenter, so, this... *waves hands* I couldn't live with this. Maybe if we knocked a hundred or so off the rent and I fix all this for you?" Dude, it's in fine shape, if you want a beautiful craftsman lodge you're going to need to look elsewhere.

    People looking at a couple of 2-bedroom apartments I have:

    1. Lady says it will be just her who would be living there. Shows up with her extremely pregnant daughter and daughter's boyfriend. Oh, they're looking for a place too, but wouldn't be living here. Sure. But do we allow dogs? Because boyfriend has two dogs. Not that he'd be living here, of course. Pass.

    2. Another lady asks if I accept pets. Tentative yes, but we need to discuss it further. Oh good! Because for this two bedroom apartment, it will be her, husband, three kids, two dogs, and a cat. They just moved in to another apartment with a year lease but they don't like the landlord. Pass.

    3. Also in April. Maybe even earlier? Feb?  Lady contacts me through a neighborhood group on behalf of her son. He and his pregnant girlfriend are on a month to month lease in a house that's too expensive for them, and she saw my ad. Sure! Talk to the guy, his credit isn't great, but he's a local guy with a solid job and solid references. Would mom be willing to co-sign? Sure! And her credit is good. He comes to see the apartment and thinks it's perfect. Then I get a message from the pregnant girlfriend... who apologizes for her crazy boyfriend and MIL, because they aren't on a month to month lease, their lease isn't up until August and she has no idea what the hell they're thinking. Ha! Okay, good luck with the baby.

    And the folks who just see that I advertise apartments (being known as the local landlady has entertainment value as well as economic)...

    1. "Do you accept Section 8?" No. "Oh, well do you have any one bedrooms?" No. "Oh. Well how much do one of your properties run? My wife and I r looking for a 1 bedroom. Pet friendly" I still don't have any one bedrooms. "Okay well if u hear of anything let me know" why would I do that?...

    2. Lady messages me to ask what bills are included with the rent. Water is included, that's it. She wants to know why landlords don't include utilities when rent is already higher than a mortgage. Give her 5 minutes of my time to discuss it because I'm the Friendly Neighborhood Landlady and she's happy. A week later, she calls me during tax season (day job is accounting) and wants to meet up with me for "a few hours" so I can give her free advice on how to get a mortgage????? Pass...?

    3. Lady is looking for a studio or efficiency for her husband who she's kicking out. Sorry, none of mine are available. She's been asking me weekly for about 3 months now. Stop. Please stop.

    3.5 - Local guy contacts me because he's getting divorced and wants to sell the house in a hurry. Same couple, I think. (House wouldn't work for me.)

    4. Young woman got a job at a local ballet company. Her mom calls me for an efficiency or one bedroom (still none available) and wants to know if the rent would be affected if they decided to have 1-2 more of the ballerinas stay there. Well, yes it would go up a bit, but also, I don't think the city would be happy with me if I allowed that.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Gwen Fyfe, keep track of all these people and write a book like I'm doing! :)

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    @Joe Splitrock is right. I've had the same experiences. When someone says they have a dog and I ask what kind, there is either a hesitant pause while they consider a different name for the pit bull, or they say it's a mixed breed. If they can name only one of the mixed breeds and it's not a pit bull, I already know it is. No one ever says pit bull, or even Staff terrier. I had someone call a Cane Corso an Italian Mastiff, thinking I wouldn't know the difference. As a last resort, I've even had someone tell me the dog is a support/therapy animal and I would have to accept it. I tell them to have that discussion with my insurance company. 

    Luckily, most of our rentals are condos and the condo associations prohibit any dog over 20 pounds full grown. And when an applicant argues with that (and they have tried), I tell them to discuss it with the association. '

    A cane corso is an Italian mastiff.  And neither are in any way related to pit bulls/ terriers/ ect.

    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cane-corso/

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    A cane corso is an Italian mastiff.  And neither are in any way related to pit bulls/ terriers/ ect.

    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cane-corso/

     Correct...but they are still considered aggressive dogs by most insurance companies.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    A cane corso is an Italian mastiff.  And neither are in any way related to pit bulls/ terriers/ ect.

    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cane-corso/

     Correct...but they are still considered aggressive dogs by most insurance companies.

     Which is a shame. They're really not aggressive. They're just huge.

    I used to have a Dogue de Bordeaux (French mastiff). Sweetest, laziest animal ever. These big European mastiff breeds are great city dogs, because they're bred to just lay around the front of aristocratic manors looking impressive. If there are intruders or anyone being threatening, they'll let out a couple big booming barks and then sit on the person, waiting for your groundskeeper to come running! :D

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    A cane corso is an Italian mastiff.  And neither are in any way related to pit bulls/ terriers/ ect.

    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cane-corso/

     Correct...but they are still considered aggressive dogs by most insurance companies.

     Which is a shame. They're really not aggressive. They're just huge.

    I used to have a Dogue de Bordeaux (French mastiff). Sweetest, laziest animal ever. These big European mastiff breeds are great city dogs, because they're bred to just lay around the front of aristocratic manors looking impressive. If there are intruders or anyone being threatening, they'll let out a couple big booming barks and then sit on the person, waiting for your groundskeeper to come running! :D

    Exactly!!! I own bull mastiffs :) They're just bred to be protective, but not aggressive. They're just giant. 

    The last time I was a renter I invited the potential new landlord to come visit my current home I rented and meet my dog and he was like....does he just...lay there...? "yup...pretty much". Like yaaaa...he's basically too lazy to destroy anything except a hamburger.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij:
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    A cane corso is an Italian mastiff.  And neither are in any way related to pit bulls/ terriers/ ect.

    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cane-corso/

     Correct...but they are still considered aggressive dogs by most insurance companies.

     Which is a shame. They're really not aggressive. They're just huge.

    I used to have a Dogue de Bordeaux (French mastiff). Sweetest, laziest animal ever. These big European mastiff breeds are great city dogs, because they're bred to just lay around the front of aristocratic manors looking impressive. If there are intruders or anyone being threatening, they'll let out a couple big booming barks and then sit on the person, waiting for your groundskeeper to come running! :D

    Exactly!!! I own bull mastiffs :) They're just bred to be protective, but not aggressive. They're just giant. 

    The last time I was a renter I invited the potential new landlord to come visit my current home I rented and meet my dog and he was like....does he just...lay there...? "yup...pretty much". Like yaaaa...he's basically too lazy to destroy anything except a hamburger.

     Ha! Yeah, a neighbor who lived about a quarter mile away from me when I had Bartlett had a pair of bull mastiffs. We would meet in the middle on our morning walks, that was as far as any of our dogs wanted to go at one time.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I know any breed of dog can be a sweetheart. I rented a room in a house years ago from a landlord who had a huge Doberman....the '80s equivalent of a pit bull. When anyone rang their bell, the dog would try to hide under a bed. He was given to them for free, because the breeder couldn't sell him. What was the point of having a Doberman afraid of his own shadow? :) 

    But my rentals are mostly condos, and my ads specifically say only 1 full grown pet under 20 pounds, per the association that has to approve the tenant. Yet so many try to call their dogs something else, thinking I won't know what kind/size that is. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij:
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    A cane corso is an Italian mastiff.  And neither are in any way related to pit bulls/ terriers/ ect.

    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cane-corso/

     Correct...but they are still considered aggressive dogs by most insurance companies.

     Which is a shame. They're really not aggressive. They're just huge.

    I used to have a Dogue de Bordeaux (French mastiff). Sweetest, laziest animal ever. These big European mastiff breeds are great city dogs, because they're bred to just lay around the front of aristocratic manors looking impressive. If there are intruders or anyone being threatening, they'll let out a couple big booming barks and then sit on the person, waiting for your groundskeeper to come running! :D

    Exactly!!! I own bull mastiffs :) They're just bred to be protective, but not aggressive. They're just giant. 

    The last time I was a renter I invited the potential new landlord to come visit my current home I rented and meet my dog and he was like....does he just...lay there...? "yup...pretty much". Like yaaaa...he's basically too lazy to destroy anything except a hamburger.

     One time I had a customer come in with a small dog that looked exactly like a husky or an Akita. I said "Oh, you have a miniature Husky" and I think she got completely insulted. She told me it was a Japanese some kind of dog, which if you look it up looks exactly like a husky or an Akita, and being that they're all from that same part of the world they have to be related.

    Anyway, I digress. I have no idea why I thought of that, other than the fact that you were mentioning mastiffs and the other poster was clarifying what kind of dog they were :)

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:
    Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij:
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    A cane corso is an Italian mastiff.  And neither are in any way related to pit bulls/ terriers/ ect.

    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cane-corso/

     Correct...but they are still considered aggressive dogs by most insurance companies.

     Which is a shame. They're really not aggressive. They're just huge.

    I used to have a Dogue de Bordeaux (French mastiff). Sweetest, laziest animal ever. These big European mastiff breeds are great city dogs, because they're bred to just lay around the front of aristocratic manors looking impressive. If there are intruders or anyone being threatening, they'll let out a couple big booming barks and then sit on the person, waiting for your groundskeeper to come running! :D

    Exactly!!! I own bull mastiffs :) They're just bred to be protective, but not aggressive. They're just giant. 

    The last time I was a renter I invited the potential new landlord to come visit my current home I rented and meet my dog and he was like....does he just...lay there...? "yup...pretty much". Like yaaaa...he's basically too lazy to destroy anything except a hamburger.

     One time I had a customer come in with a small dog that looked exactly like a husky or an Akita. I said "Oh, you have a miniature Husky" and I think she got completely insulted. She told me it was a Japanese some kind of dog, which if you look it up looks exactly like a husky or an Akita, and being that they're all from that same part of the world they have to be related.

    Anyway, I digress. I have no idea why I thought of that, other than the fact that you were mentioning mastiffs and the other poster was clarifying what kind of dog they were :)

     Shiba Inu. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    Not a bad application story but an odd one to say the least. My parents had a tenant that was a single mother. She was in her 30's and came with her parents to look at the apartment. We ran credit checks on them and it all turned out good. Her parents paid her rent I believe. She was a cancer survivor so we felt compassion. Turns out shes been cancer free for like 7-8 years but just played the role as if she never got better. I think her parents were legitimately good people and were trying to help their child. She would ask for help carrying her groceries up (3rd floor) and I flat out told her no. She started claiming that another tenant (who she befriended but things went bad because of how weird she was) was breaking into her apartment and stealing stuff so she started using the chain latch to close her doors for extra security. She managed to lock herself out of her apartment TWICE because the chain was on both the front and back doors. The first time my older brother was home and put a ladder up to her living room (second floor) and got in through her window. The chains were on BOTH the doors with no one home. The second time she convinced my little brother (maybe 12-13 at the time) to do the same to let her in again because no one else was home. At this point I was beyond furious and completely cussed her out for putting my little brother in that situation. To this day we cannot figure out how she managed to chain both doors as she left her house.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y

    Can't believe you passed up the chance to learn a new skill. As Charlie Munger says, Always be learning. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 353 posts · 223 votes
    8y

    A few from my SFRs.  The ads say no pets, not section 8 approved and have detailed info on the houses

    1. I get several calls asking how many bedrooms, baths, does it have a fenced in yard...  All info already stated on the ad.  Along the same lines, I get several that ask about taking section 8 or try to avoid the topic until later when they are applying.

    2. I had one say they would like to move in but were not able to move for 3 months and thought I would hold it for them as the loved the home.   At a rent rate of $2,000/mo, do you think I want to eat $6,000 in vacancy?

    3. A family comes to look at a house and I discuss the no pet policy in our discussions.  The father says that is not an issue and then the kid blurts out "what about our cats"?  They didn't get the place.

    4. One woman was interested in a home and didn't bother to say she had a recent unlawful detainer.  Needless to say she wasted her money on the application.

    5. A girl and her friend wanted to rent and put in an application.  I had not run the application yet and her dad gave me a call as he wanted to see the place.  He voiced his concern about his daughter being tied up in a 1 year lease and his concerns with her living with that friend.  Apparently they always have issues going on between them and he did not see it working out.  He also tried to negotiate rent with me to get me to come down 30% to make it more affordable for them...  Needless to say, they did not get the place.  

    6. I have had several people ask about rent to own when it is not an option.

    7. I have had several calls that appear they may be from some sort of business trying to get info on the home and not at all interested in renting.  It is easy to tell based on the questions (sq/ft, finished basement?, fireplaces?, updates/materials...  Nothing about the neighborhood and they are clearly taking notes.  Sometimes I hear the typing.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    8y

    My favorite-we own a couple of very small units,  500 s.f.  LR open to kitchen,  but separate bedroom with bath off the bedroom.  Couple came in and said they wouldn't want guests going though their bedroom to use the bathroom,  and could I move the bathroom?  I choked down the laughter and said "well,  no,  that would be thousands of dollars and the rent is only $875."  Then I said "If it really bothered you,  I suppose you could sleep out here and have that room (bedroom) be your living room.  They looked at each other and said in unison "THAT'S RIDICULOUS".   I just cracked up.  At least they had each other!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James W.:

    A few from my SFRs.  The ads say no pets, not section 8 approved and have detailed info on the houses

    1. I get several calls asking how many bedrooms, baths, does it have a fenced in yard...  All info already stated on the ad.  Along the same lines, I get several that ask about taking section 8 or try to avoid the topic until later when they are applying.

    James:

    That's pretty standard fare.  People do not bother to read the listings ... way too many words for the 140-character generation.

    I would say 70% of respondents to our advertisements send a one-line message to the effect  "Is it still available?"  Despite the presence of a banner at the top and bottom of the advertisement which reads: "If the advertisement is posted, the apartment/house is still available."

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 353 posts · 223 votes
    8y

    @Roy N. You would think they would look at the add to determine if they are interested before calling about it.  

    I don't like allowing them to waste my time so I'm short with people that start by asking the given information.  

    When it comes to showings, I don't meet individuals at the house.  I schedule a few hour timeframe, find things to work on and call it an open house.  Saves me a lot of time that way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 169 votes
    8y

    A guy and girl applied for a SFH I had (call them John and Jane). I Google searched John and saw that he had been arrested 4 months earlier for his part in some public bar fight. I had to ask him about the arrest to satiate my curiosity. His story was essentially, "Some dude was hitting on my girl so I kicked his a**."

    Long-story short, "his girl" who he got arrested for in the story was not Jane, the girl he was applying for the house with. I also certainly got the impression that he had told Jane the arrest was for something else (or did not tell her at all) because he politely asked me to not say anything to her. So basically this hothead who gets into bar fights for trivial reasons not only wanted to rent the house from me with his girlfriend, but he also wanted me to stay hush to her about what I am assuming was his side chick.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    Can't believe you passed up the chance to learn a new skill. As Charlie Munger says, Always be learning. 

     Ha! I think I just would've been paying my lawyer to learn a new skill.

  • Rental Property Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 175 posts · 111 votes
    8y

    1. A retired woman talked to my wife about renting one of our apartments. My wife “per-checked” her over the phone and had a feeling she was not qualified. The woman insisted on filling out an application and giving a deposit. So, I met her at the apartment to pick up the app, deposit and app fee. After looking over the app and seeing how much she was getting from social security I question her. How are you going to pay $975 a month when you only receive $1,200 a month? She said “I don’t eat much, and I don’t have a car” that’s when I realized she was driving a rental! We gave her back both the deposit and app fee.

    2. A person called and asked if we would take someone with a old felony, we said it depends, what was the felony? After this long story it boiled down to kidnapping and assault! We were like: Sorry, we are not available to meet, got to go, I think my mother is calling on the other line! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    8y

    @Gwen Fyfe, lawyer has the skill.  You get the 'experience' of paying the lawyer.  ;-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dave Chapa:

     A person called and asked if we would take someone with a old felony, we said it depends, what was the felony? After this long story it boiled down to kidnapping and assault! We were like: Sorry, we are not available to meet, got to go, I think my mother is calling on the other line! 

    This guy is my worst nightmare. I'm very concerned that at some point I'm going to show up for a viewing with a violent criminal or sexual offender and get hurt. (I'm strong as hell, but still a 5'2" woman!) A few of my close friends are encouraging me to start carrying for this reason.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Gwen Fyfe:
    Originally posted by @Dave Chapa:

     A person called and asked if we would take someone with a old felony, we said it depends, what was the felony? After this long story it boiled down to kidnapping and assault! We were like: Sorry, we are not available to meet, got to go, I think my mother is calling on the other line! 

    This guy is my worst nightmare. I'm very concerned that at some point I'm going to show up for a viewing with a violent criminal or sexual offender and get hurt. (I'm strong as hell, but still a 5'2" woman!) A few of my close friends are encouraging me to start carrying for this reason.

    This is why most of the leasing agencies in my area have gone to full applications before even showing a property. Meet at their office and bring a photo ID or they won't even show. We have not gone that far yet, but I always get their first and last name before scheduling a showing. I also text their license plate number to my wife when they arrive. Not fool proof, but better than nothing, I am close to 6' and over 200 pounds, so can't imagine being 5' 2", regardless of strength. I would recommend carrying mace versus a gun. It is more likely the gun would be used against you than to protect you. Mace is easier to use and requires less accuracy to be effective. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James W.:

    A few from my SFRs.  The ads say no pets, not section 8 approved and have detailed info on the houses

    1. I get several calls asking how many bedrooms, baths, does it have a fenced in yard...  All info already stated on the ad.  Along the same lines, I get several that ask about taking section 8 or try to avoid the topic until later when they are applying.

    ...

    4. One woman was interested in a home and didn't bother to say she had a recent unlawful detainer.  Needless to say she wasted her money on the application.

    ...

    7. I have had several calls that appear they may be from some sort of business trying to get info on the home and not at all interested in renting.  It is easy to tell based on the questions (sq/ft, finished basement?, fireplaces?, updates/materials...  Nothing about the neighborhood and they are clearly taking notes.  Sometimes I hear the typing.

    Re item #1: Some people go through a bunch of ads and write down the phone numbers, but not all the details, and then make a series of calls; these people are asking everybody the same thing. They might only need three bedrooms, but find four bedroom places in their price range so they include them on their short list, and then they don't know which is which. And then there are those who won't read, that TL;DR thing.

    Re item #4: Person with recent eviction is going to need a place, and puts in multiple applications all over until one landlord either does not check for evictions or does not care about evictions. Clearly you were not going to be that landlord, and good for you.

    Re item #7: There are places that will find your ad, and then make their own version of it to post on their own site. Not sure why, maybe they want to create the appearance that they have lots of listings to offer, maybe they have good SEO, whatever. Usually doesn't bother me - they can send me any leads. Of course, if it's a scammer ... you never know when you have to be on guard.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 84 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    These are great, not nearly as interesting as mine, though I did have one say "my boyfriend would be on the lease, he's just getting out of jail next week." And another say "This house is great! I'd just want to rip up all these floors and refinish them." 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.