Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
27,416 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y

    Have a couple of units up for rent at once so I'm getting some dumb stuff.

    Applicant at open house, standing in front of hooked up stove and fridge: Do these appliances stay?

    Me: Well, I provide these and I don't change the rent for them, but I can take them out if you have your own. There's also hookups for washer/dryer downstairs if you want to bring those.

    Applicant: So you're not going to replace these?

    Me: No? They're working great, everything was just cleaned and tested.

    Applicant: I just thought the appliances would be newer.

    (They're nice appliances... this is a working class neighborhood where lots of landlords charge extra for ANY appliances...)

    ------------------------------------------------

    Me talking to applicant on phone: On credit score I just look for above 550, is that going to work?

    Applicant: Well I'm not gonna lie I'm probably not above that line. I dunno about a credit score of 550. Because see I just declared bankruptcy this last year, I was on the same street that house is on and you know that intersection that doesn't have a stop sign? Like you're just supposed to pay attention? Well I got into a bad accident there and they couldn't tell so OF COURSE they decided I was at fault or whatever, and I had to pay this guy like thirty grand.

    Me: Well that's unfortunate but I'm afraid that I really have to apply the credit score standards to everyone or I get in trouble with fair housing.

    Applicant: No I get that but I'm really good for it, I'm good on my rent I'm just looking to move because I have a baby and you know, he's starting to crawl, and I don't want to be in a place with stairs.

    Me: This unit is actually on two floors, it does have stairs. You can apply if you want but the credit score, you know...

    Applicant: Well do you have any other places? If i see any of your other ads I'll call you up about them. Just be sure to post pictures of the stairs if there are stairs.

    Me: Well ma'am I have the same credit score requirements for all my apartments.

    Applicant: WHAT?! *click*

    Okay...

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    8y

    Dingbat: Since February is such a short month, can't you charge less rent?

    Me: Only if I can charge more for months with 31 days.

    Just when I think I've heard/read it all...

  • Investor · Spokane Valley, WA · Member since 2014 · 175 posts · 94 votes
    8y

    Just made it through all 48 pages! haha absolutely love this thread. I don't remember all the odd balls I had come through my small 500sf house when I first listed it 3 years ago (same tenant since then) but there were a LOT. One sticks out to me quite vividly that I remember well.

    I was in the middle of showing the unit to a young couple and this guy walks in and looks around very briefly before interrupting us. He starts asking about the crawlspace and how big it is, if there are outlets and lights down there etc... he reeked of marijuana and alcohol and also kept itching and wiping his nose. 

    Needless to say, I told him i was in the middle of a scheduled showing and he needed to leave and schedule a showing if he was interested. 

    Unfortunately it weirded out the young couple enough that they had a noticeable drop in interest after that and took an application but never submitted it. 

    Fun times!

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Quick poll - how many folks out there could get a prospect to fill out an application BEFORE they've seen a property..... particularly if there is a fee to the prospect for doing so? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 55 votes
    8y

    I do it all the time - request prospect to fill out app before I show the property.  These are the steps I follow (mostly):

    1) Have them go by the property and see if they like the area/neighborhood & ask them to not walk the property 

    2) If interested, get their email and send an app. Let them know what the app fee will be per adult

    3) Once they call me for showing date/time, I verify if they have the app & fee

    4) Schedule multiple showing during similar times so that I don't have to go multiple times

    5) If they have the app all filled out, mostly they are serious in leasing

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    This particular forum is for landlords to post those strange and funny stories about tenant applicants; not for someone to SPAM this site.

    Gail

  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 190 votes
    8y

    I assumed that post would have been taken down by now.  An obvious product selling pitch.

  • Evergreen Park, IL · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 59 votes
    8y

    I have personally seen so many of these applicant issues. Its nice to see I'm not alone! lol

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    8y

    OK..  I got a new one for you guys. 

    Caller: "Hey....CJ.Do you work with evictions?"

    Me:  "What do you mean? Will I rent to someone who was evicted before?"

    Caller: "Yea....dat"

    Me: "Well...Depends.. What is your story.. How long ago was the eviction?"

    Caller: "Two yrs ago"

    Me: "So what changed? "

    Caller: "Well... I changed my state.."

    Me: "What do you mean you changed your state?" 

    Caller: "Ya... I changed the state I was evicted from.. Wasn't in VA"

    Me: "So, you can't get evicted here?"

    Caller: "Ya..don't work dat way..."

    Me: "Yeah..OK... Something new I learned today.. Talk to you later..."

  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Kimberly H. @Joe Splitrock

    I'm not through reading the whole thread, but I have to point out that the American Staffordshire Terrier is technically of the pit bull family, they are not the pit bull's most people think about when they think of the "dangerous pit bull". 

    From petwave.com: "Often confused with Pit Bull Terriers, the two breeds share an ancestral bloodline and were originally bred to fight, but the American Staffordshire line has become much more gentle in the last 100 years. Despite their reputation as an aggressivebreed, the Amstaff is a true family dog."

    I would have no problem renting to someone with an Amstaff. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Donald S.:

    @Kimberly H. @Joe Splitrock

    I'm not through reading the whole thread, but I have to point out that the American Staffordshire Terrier is technically of the pit bull family, they are not the pit bull's most people think about when they think of the "dangerous pit bull". 

    From petwave.com: "Often confused with Pit Bull Terriers, the two breeds share an ancestral bloodline and were originally bred to fight, but the American Staffordshire line has become much more gentle in the last 100 years. Despite their reputation as an aggressivebreed, the Amstaff is a true family dog."

    I would have no problem renting to someone with an Amstaff. 

    Nobody owns a pit bull. Every renter who inquires about my properties has either an American Staffordshire Terrier or Terrier mix. I am not stupid. I know the game. Give it a friendly name and all the sudden it is harmless. Unfortunately the facts say something different. There are many annual occurrences of "friendly family dogs" maiming or killing their owners. Insurance actuaries have studied risk and most companies ban all forms of this dog, because real statistics say it is not worth the insurance risk. I am running a business, so my job is minimizing risk. If you want to take chances with your business that is your choice, but it has consequences that you need to own up to.

    Here is a nice little story about a family pet that killed their 8 month old:

    http://www.somdnews.com/breaking/month-old-dies-af...

    I could give you links to 100 more stories, but I suspect nothing will change your mind. In every story, the owners say it was a family pet and had never showed aggression. Either they are all lying or the breed is ticking time bomb. Either way, they are not allowed on my properties.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Joe Splitrock is right. I've had the same experiences. When someone says they have a dog and I ask what kind, there is either a hesitant pause while they consider a different name for the pit bull, or they say it's a mixed breed. If they can name only one of the mixed breeds and it's not a pit bull, I already know it is. No one ever says pit bull, or even Staff terrier. I had someone call a Cane Corso an Italian Mastiff, thinking I wouldn't know the difference. As a last resort, I've even had someone tell me the dog is a support/therapy animal and I would have to accept it. I tell them to have that discussion with my insurance company. 

    Luckily, most of our rentals are condos and the condo associations prohibit any dog over 20 pounds full grown. And when an applicant argues with that (and they have tried), I tell them to discuss it with the association. 

    And while I'm aware that any dog can bite and be aggressive, neither myself nor my repair people are likely to be killed or maimed by a chihuahua.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    @Joe Splitrock is right. I've had the same experiences. When someone says they have a dog and I ask what kind, there is either a hesitant pause while they consider a different name for the pit bull, or they say it's a mixed breed. If they can name only one of the mixed breeds and it's not a pit bull, I already know it is. No one ever says pit bull, or even Staff terrier. I had someone call a Cane Corso an Italian Mastiff, thinking I wouldn't know the difference. As a last resort, I've even had someone tell me the dog is a support/therapy animal and I would have to accept it. I tell them to have that discussion with my insurance company. 

    Luckily, most of our rentals are condos and the condo associations prohibit any dog over 20 pounds full grown. And when an applicant argues with that (and they have tried), I tell them to discuss it with the association. 

    And while I'm aware that any dog can bite and be aggressive, neither myself nor my repair people are likely to be killed or maimed by a chihuahua.

    A weight restriction is a good way to keep all dangerous breeds out. One of our big property management companies in town requires a picture of the dog and requires dog DNA testing if a picture doesn't show the breed. 

  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Joe Splitrock I'm not saying to just take them at their word. If you are willing to accept dogs, like I am, then I need to be able to distinguish between the different breeds (even though "breed" is a misnomer) and I do pet interviews and of course have to discuss with the insurance company on risk. As for your "nice little story", I can find 100's of stories of the pillar of the community who killed his whole family, or was a secret sex offender that hadn't been caught, or a million other things that don't prove any point. Anecdotal evidence is the easiest thing to come up with, but is not proof. 

    But I'm getting off topic. I'll contribute more when I have a story that meets this thread.  

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Donald S.:

    @Joe Splitrock I'm not saying to just take them at their word. If you are willing to accept dogs, like I am, then I need to be able to distinguish between the different breeds (even though "breed" is a misnomer) and I do pet interviews and of course have to discuss with the insurance company on risk. As for your "nice little story", I can find 100's of stories of the pillar of the community who killed his whole family, or was a secret sex offender that hadn't been caught, or a million other things that don't prove any point. Anecdotal evidence is the easiest thing to come up with, but is not proof. 

    But I'm getting off topic. I'll contribute more when I have a story that meets this thread.  

    I have seen a thousand icy sidewalks that nobody slipped on and half my neighborhood has trampolines that nobody has gotten hurt on. I still don't allow either at my rental properties because of my insurance company. Risk assessment has nothing to do with anecdotal evidence. Insurance companies use math to determine risk. Likelihood of occurrence and damages per occurrence are the main factors. Anything my insurance company bans, I don't allow. They are way more qualified at determining risk than I am.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Its Sunday I scheduled 4 showings at 3 pm . Only one guy shows up . Give him an application and he leaves . Its now 3:30 so I head home .   I am backing in the driveway and the phone rings .   " Hello , I am here to look at the rental "    I reply to her , " Ok thats nice , but its 4 pm , we were showing it at 3 .  Her " Can I see it , I am here now ? "   Me    , Well No not today I am at another appointment  that I had at 4 pm , I dont miss appointments " 

    Her " Just because I was an hour behind you wont show me the place ? 

    Me " Thats right , 

    Her  " Screw you "

    Me " No thanks I am married " 

    Click 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    This is all the same person for a 3 bed single family detached house, available June 2nd.:

    Applicant writes all over the application and an email to not contact her current landlord, "I don't want you to contact my landlord yet because I haven't advised them of my intent to move and don't want to until I am approved and a new lease signed...each year I plead for a new lease for my own protection and for theirs...I am fairly confident that the past is an indication of the future in this case so I want to wait until our lease is signed."

    Lol, as if! And that just sounds weird and doesn’t make any sense, what landlord wouldn’t want MORE notice? But she is retired, lives alone, and has nearly 1M in her retirement account and an 800 credit score so I figure worst case she’s collectible.

    I call this persons RE agent and tell her that isn’t happening. The agent is like,"Well, she said that if you must contact the current landlord go ahead" and mentions something about that landlord never fixing anything and that was why she didn’t want me to call.

    I call the current landlord, and she is glad that the tenant wants to move, saying they want to sell the home and get out of owning rental properties (they are in their 70's), and this makes it easier for them. When I bring up the repair comment, they angrily tell me of *all* the instances they have been over there right away to fix something. And it sounds like the applicant’s son’s monster dog is there frequently on weekends but I can’t get a straight answer on how often the monster dog is there.

    There is no previous landlord to call. The applicant states on the app that she smokes outside, has a Greater Swiss Mountain dog that she 2x a year babysits for her son (Googling I find out they weigh 110-150 lbs!). 

    So we accept, make the security 2x the rent, and propose lease signing and funds collection the next day at the applicant’s home. So then I get an email from the applicant,” Why a double security deposit…I cannot obtain certified or cashier funds in just one day.... My check from my investment account is no good? You will find out in a couple of days if my check clears. After all, I'm not moving until June…I have had and still have a horrid cold and therefore my home is a "sick" home. I do not recommend that folks come to visit me. If you must, then you must but I wouldn't.”

    I’m not going to get into a debate with an applicant over terms that we use for all applicants, so I call the real estate agent, basically telling her about the email from her client.  She later updates me saying her client is getting the money together.  A few hours later she calls and says her client no longer wants to move forward with the house. I’m satisfied that a PITA just weeded herself out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly H.:

    This is all the same person for a 3 bed single family detached house, available June 2nd.:

    Applicant writes all over the application and an email to not contact her current landlord, "I don't want you to contact my landlord yet because I haven't advised them of my intent to move and don't want to until I am approved and a new lease signed...each year I plead for a new lease for my own protection and for theirs...I am fairly confident that the past is an indication of the future in this case so I want to wait until our lease is signed."

    Lol, as if! And that just sounds weird and doesn’t make any sense, what landlord wouldn’t want MORE notice? But she is retired, lives alone, and has nearly 1M in her retirement account and an 800 credit score so I figure worst case she’s collectible.

    I call this persons RE agent and tell her that isn’t happening. The agent is like,"Well, she said that if you must contact the current landlord go ahead" and mentions something about that landlord never fixing anything and that was why she didn’t want me to call.

    I call the current landlord, and she is glad that the tenant wants to move, saying they want to sell the home and get out of owning rental properties (they are in their 70's), and this makes it easier for them. When I bring up the repair comment, they angrily tell me of *all* the instances they have been over there right away to fix something. And it sounds like the applicant’s son’s monster dog is there frequently on weekends but I can’t get a straight answer on how often the monster dog is there.

    There is no previous landlord to call. The applicant states on the app that she smokes outside, has a Greater Swiss Mountain dog that she 2x a year babysits for her son (Googling I find out they weigh 110-150 lbs!). 

    So we accept, make the security 2x the rent, and propose lease signing and funds collection the next day at the applicant’s home. So then I get an email from the applicant,” Why a double security deposit…I cannot obtain certified or cashier funds in just one day.... My check from my investment account is no good? You will find out in a couple of days if my check clears. After all, I'm not moving until June…I have had and still have a horrid cold and therefore my home is a "sick" home. I do not recommend that folks come to visit me. If you must, then you must but I wouldn't.”

    I’m not going to get into a debate with an applicant over terms that we use for all applicants, so I call the real estate agent, basically telling her about the email from her client.  She later updates me saying her client is getting the money together.  A few hours later she calls and says her client no longer wants to move forward with the house. I’m satisfied that a PITA just weeded herself out.

     Yuck. So many red flags there. "you will find out in a couple of days if my check clears"? oh my god.

  • Beaverton, OR · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 119 votes
    8y

    #1 Tenant: Do you accept applicants with past evictions?

    Me: No, as it states on the online add.

    Tenant: oh, well let me just explain and I'm sure you'll understand. We are suing the crap out of our current landlord because he's a complete tool......long sob story.....oh, and Teeeechnically we got evicted before that too, but only because our roommates moved in the middle of the night without saying a word, and of course my boyfriend and I couldn't afford the rent by ourselves. 

    By the way, my boyfriend and I will also have a roommate living with us that has a doctors note for a dog. Can we get an application?

    #2 AFTER tenant signs a lease...."oh, I forgot to ask, can my boyfriend also live with us? And also my daughters boyfriend? Oh, and my daughter is pregnant and will be having another kid in 2 months (age 16). 

    #3 Lady comes to me, her and 5 kids, asks if I accept government funds as source of income. She and ALL 5 kids had disability income and government assistance. Long story, but I rented them to a year and then raised rent. I lived next to them in one of the 4 plex units and to the best of my ability could not figure out what any of their disabilities were. When I raised rent after the first year, she rolled her eyes and said "ugh, I guess I will have to get a part time job."  A week later, I see her and one of her daughters joined my $200/month athletic club.

  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason Powell:

    #2 AFTER tenant sitgns a lease...."oh, I forgot to ask, can my boyfriend also live with us? And also my daughters boyfriend? Oh, and my daughter is pregnant and will be having another kid in 2 months (age 16)

     I'd like to know how you handled this and what the legal way to handle it is since the lease was signed, but without all the info. Tear it up and cite failure to disclose all relevant information?

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Donald S.:
    Originally posted by @Jason Powell:

    #2 AFTER tenant sitgns a lease...."oh, I forgot to ask, can my boyfriend also live with us? And also my daughters boyfriend? Oh, and my daughter is pregnant and will be having another kid in 2 months (age 16)

     I'd like to know how you handled this and what the legal way to handle it is since the lease was signed, but without all the info. Tear it up and cite failure to disclose all relevant information?

     You could just say "No"

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    8y

    I recently had an applicant moving to my area from out of state (they'd lived here previously).  We initially spoke on the phone and I explained our screening and requirements.  I immediately had a bit of a bad vibe because she didn't work but was "in the process" of getting disability.  I'm sure "in the process" meant no income from that yet or possibly ever.  But her husband had a job already lined up with his former employer.  Still a little nervous because it sounded like the "employer" was just some guy who owned his own "mom and pop" construction company.  But I'd told her 3x the monthly rent, verifiable income and she didn't seem to have any qualms.

    She was very excited.  They were very interested.  Blah, blah.  Please e-mail her the application.  So I did.

    My initial application is actually really basic, because I much more rely on the one from Cozy that does the hard checks.  However, I don't send applicants to Cozy until I've verified income and checked LL references.  I told her they both needed to fill one out, even though he was the only one with income.  And emphasized that I was primarily interested in contact info for their current LL, H's current employer, AND especially his soon-to-be employer.

    Nothing for four days.  Small red flag.  Then she asks if I can e-mail him the application and gives me his e-mail address.  I realize I'm more skilled than the average person with computers but, really?  Neither one of them knew how to forward my original e-mail?  Sure, fine, sent it to him.

    This started a time consuming chain of events over the simplest things!  With both of them e-mailing me some of the same questions from their separate accounts about did I get the application (I didn't, initially) and then responses to my questions about missing stuff.  She never sent hers.  His was missing 2/3 pieces of info that I specifically mentioned I needed.  She calls me the next day to clarify what I need (omg) and does provide one of the pieces of info I am missing.  But she only knows the guy's name, not the number, for the last piece of info I need so husband will e-mail that to me later that night.

    That was the last time I heard from them, lol.  Which is just as well because, by then, any slight interest I had was gone.  I don't think they were scammers, I think they were just really clueless.  But when it is that difficult for someone to do the most basic things, it does not bode well for them being good tenants!  

  • Beaverton, OR · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 119 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Donald S.:
    Originally posted by @Jason Powell:

    #2 AFTER tenant sitgns a lease...."oh, I forgot to ask, can my boyfriend also live with us? And also my daughters boyfriend? Oh, and my daughter is pregnant and will be having another kid in 2 months (age 16)

     I'd like to know how you handled this and what the legal way to handle it is since the lease was signed, but without all the info. Tear it up and cite failure to disclose all relevant information?

     Donald,

    Normally I would just say "no". And normally I wouldn't accept these tenants in the first place. In this case, because that was a neglected unit I had dragged my feet on rehabbing, I said yes for $50/Mo per extra person. I knew after they left I was rehabbing anyway, so I figures what the heck.

    In reality, us landlords are pretty powerless against that. Our options are to serve a no cause termination once the lease is done, or "prove" they are breaking lease  (very tough to prove in court) by having extra people live there. Tenants will do what they want to do and think they can get away with. 

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    It's always fun (for a while) to contribute to this thread ;) 

    My husband and I have a 2/2 condo in FL for rent now. Among the recent callers, I present these gems.

    1. Condo is near 2 colleges. Got a call from a grad student with no job. Says he has a roommate. I ask how he plans to pay the rent and he says his mother (in France) will be paying it. Uh huh. What about the roommate, what does he do, how much does he make? Tenant says "I don't know". Really? 

    2. Another tenant with a roommate. Tenant is a blackjack dealer at a nearby casino, has verifiable income but no landlord refs...has been living with her grandmother. What about the roommate, what does he/she doe? "Orly? I don't really know. Something about shopping for yachts." Excuse me? "He does the shopping for yachts in a marina." NEXT!

    3. A woman calls, says it will be her, her daughter, her daughter's 2 kids and a dog living there. She's the only one working and makes about $30k a year. NOPE.

    4. Multiple people calling from out of Florida, saying they plan to move there/have just moved there, have no jobs or rental histories, but love the condo photos and when can they move in? When it snows in FL - I'll call you.

    5. Woman and her boyfriend, says she works, he does not. They have a cat and a small dog. I say that only 1 pet is allowed, but I'd make an exception for another $25 a month. She says she has to check with her boyfriend. I'm thinking, why? He won't be paying the rent. Two minutes later, she calls back, says the dog is an emotional support animal, not a pet, and her boyfriend says they shouldn't have to pay another $25 a month for a cat. "That's not right!" she says. Tell it to your emotional support animal.

    6. Guy calls and has a job and 2 pit bulls. I remind him the ad specifically says, right at the top, "one full grown pet under 20 pounds". He laughs and says, "yeah, I thought I'd have trouble with that one."

    7. A woman says she has a dog and when I ask what kind, "part staffordshire terrier, part Jack Russell". I ask point blank, it is a pit bull? "Well, yes". WELL, NO!

    8. A guy from out of state (strike 1) says he's moving to FL, about to start a new job. I ask for rental refs. Nope, says he owned his own home for years. I ask for previous employment verification. Nope, he had his own company for years, which failed....that's why he's moving (strike 2, and probably 3).  I tell him he'd have to pay first, last and security deposit and pass the background check. He says he likes an up-front business owner like myself, he respects that, and decides a larger deposit sounds fair after all. He says he'll call back. Great, I'll be waiting.

    9. Guy from Nebraska, says he's getting married in July and they want to move to FL and go to grad school. No jobs, but can I hold the condo until they get here? Sure, consider it a wedding gift. 

    Plenty more, but I'm tired and I can't believe I actually spent time on the phone with these people ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    6. Guy calls and has a job and 2 pit bulls. I remind him the ad specifically says, right at the top, "one full grown pet under 20 pounds". He laughs and says, "yeah, I thought I'd have trouble with that one."

    Ha. At least he's honest about it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.