My tenant annoyed I’m working and making noise

My tenant annoyed I’m working and making noise

Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Morning all.. so here it is, 9:15am on a Sunday, I’m drywalling the kitchen of a half double I own and am rehabbing. I own the other half also. I waited until 8:45 to start working. My tenant in the other half just text me and asked if I could not make so much noise, she had to hear it all day yesterday (drilling and running electrical). I told her I’d move to other walls that aren’t opposite side of her kitchen wall but that she’d probably still hear but not as bad. Am I wrong? Do I call it quits for today or just keep going? If someone else owned this side she would probably not have been able to send that text..

5Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Matt M.:

@James Wise

My wife said the same thing.. and that it annoys her that she almost never pays rent on time.

 Then it sounds like you've got zero incentive to walk on eggshells for the tenant. Ignore the text and do your job. Slap a 3 day eviction notice on the tenant's door the next time rent is late. Tenant can either get in line or get put out. End of story.

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    Well I don't know who Noccolo Machiabelli and Adam Smith are but I learned about landlording from being on the front lines managing 1,000's and 1,000's of tenants. I am going to take that actual experience over whatever it is that those dudes write about any day. 

    LOL, the Wife of Bath rides again: "Experience, though noon aucthoritee, were in this world, were right ynogh to me..."

    You're a treasure, Jim.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    Well I don't know who Noccolo Machiabelli and Adam Smith are but I learned about landlording from being on the front lines managing 1,000's and 1,000's of tenants. I am going to take that actual experience over whatever it is that those dudes write about any day. 

    LOL, the Wife of Bath rides again: "Experience, though noon aucthoritee, were in this world, were right ynogh to me..."

    You're a treasure, Jim.

    Lol, Jim you aren't lost are you? This isn't your local coffee shop. I spent my 20's building a business, not obtaining a liberal arts degree. Let's stay on topic.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    BP moderators, this is an actual photograph of the work: I went to Vatican and snapped this shot. I own the copyright on it.

    @James Wise

    Jim, I'm the guy on the left, you're the guy on the right, and nothing is apparently ever going to change that.

    I also spent my twenties building a successful business, soon after I finished that liberal arts degree that you so obviously despise. Yet I'm quite certain I built my business under significantly more difficult conditions than the ones you faced. Mine was in the black market of a foreign country where the rule of law is a questionable concept at best.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    BP moderators, this is an actual photograph of the work: I went to Vatican and snapped this shot. I own the copyright on it.

    @James Wise

    Jim, I'm the guy on the left, you're the guy on the right, and nothing is apparently ever going to change that.

    I also spent my twenties building a successful business, soon after I finished that liberal arts degree that you so obviously despise. Yet I'm quite certain I built my business under significantly more difficult conditions than the ones you faced. Mine was in the black market of a foreign country where the rule of law is a questionable concept at best.

     ..... I don't think it's that. I think it's that I am having a conversation about how to manage a rental portfolio. You on the other hand are trying to have a conversation about how cultured you are with an audience that could care less.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt M.

    Maybe her kids are just annoying her. No biggee. Just carry on and get your work done. “I’m sorry”. And just keep doing what you’re doing.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    It's so cute when you get all huffy because of a couple books and a painting. I know you could care less about this and you really should.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Sounds like potentially the residential landlord is too involved emotionally ( caring about everything potentially the tenant says ) and physically ( doing a lot of the repairs and replacements themselves to their investment inventory).

    I don't invest in residential anymore. Too much headache and do the repairs yourself you are buying yourself a job. That's not a scalable investment business as you can't be putting up drywall in the 3 different places yourself at the same time.

    It wasn't the lifestyle I wanted but some investors are okay with it or even thrive on it and see dealing with residential tenants as a personal challenge. I view it as wasted minutes in my life I would never get back where I want to do something else that brings me much more joy, happiness, relaxation. That's half the battle when you get into real estate investing in finding out what you like to do and what meets your investment objectives. One person might love residential while others love note investing. Others might can't stand any of that and gravitate toward self storage, or commercial etc.

    The problem with residential investments or smaller multifamily is you do not have scale.

    Typically I see 3 types of managing the investment.

    1. They cannot afford a full time handyman because they do not have enough cash flow to put them on payroll. Instead the handyman does a few jobs for the landlord but also does work for other landlords properties. In this way repairs take much longer, tenants get frustrated, and the repair potentially becomes more expensive the longer it goes without being fixed. 

    2. Using a service through the property management company or getting professionals in to do the job. Job quality and timeliness tend to be much better but repair costs or replacement can be double or triple what the handyman charges for licensed and insured individuals. That can really suck down any cash flow potential on a property.

    3. In this option the owner goes to Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. and attemps to buy and do the repairs and replacements themselves to save money. Even if they do high quality work they are trading time for a J-O-B.

    Now can someone make their own repairs and have a goal of investing 20 to 30 years in residential and retire with a few million in assets or more? Possibly, and if they enjoy working with tools and spending all their potential family time and friends time on the weekends fixing tenants, toilets, a termites then they live the life they accept and create for themselves.

    Long term in residential houses and 2 to 4 units it's hard to scale past a few dozen properties. The buildings tend to be various in age and location. Likely there will have to be multiple property management companies involved as some only service certain areas. For investments you want a scalable and replicatable system that gives an investor the life they have imagined that makes them happy and NOT one that just makes them money. I have seen people's lives where they make lots of money but their quality of life is  destroyed in the process. I want to be happy and live my ideal life and make a great amount of money at the same time. That is where the art of investing comes in.

    With tenants you have to stick to the process of paying and evicting no matter what. if you have multiple tenants especially in duplexes to quads they tend to all talk to each other. Fred will tell Tina hey landlord worked with me this month and Tina will say ( Wow Fred I told landlord so and so and they didn't care. Fred will tell Tina try what I did it worked for me!)lol

    A few exceptions to  evicting is if it's dead of winter and a higher crime area and if you do not have a tenant living there the whole house gets stripped out and destroyed. In those cases sometimes it might be better to have a partial paying tenant until a better tenant renting season comes around. It's the joys of running a business. Some days you can be like (Why am I doing this?) and other days it can be ( I am so glad I do not work for anyone else and have the life and achievements few reach.)     

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    It's so cute when you get all huffy because of a couple books and a painting. I know you could care less about this and you really should.

     Great story Jim..........This has been productive. I am going to go back to discussing rental properties though. Have a good one brotha.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    It's so cute when you get all huffy because of a couple books and a painting. I know you could care less about this and you really should.

     Great story Jim..........This has been productive. I am going to go back to discussing rental properties though. Have a good one brotha.

    Now watch, next time we agree completely. Respect, Jim.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Joel Owens

    I’m not sure how this turned into what you stated. I am a contractor and do my own work. I am proud of what I do and take pride in my work and my investment properties. While my business model might not align with yours, why would I spend $30,000 and pay someone to remodel this house when I can do it myself for $10,000? Sure, it might take me 4-5 months instead of hiring a crew and it being done in a month, but if I spent $20k more in order to have received 4 months of rent ($4,400) that doesn’t make sense to me. Neither does sitting on the couch falling asleep while I could be working on my own properties. Until I can’t  work anymore, I’ll keep doing my thing. And the $15k I saved by not hiring out will buy me another house. I’ll be all-in on this one for about $52,000, rented for $1,100, market value of $90k. And I have an even better one waiting for me that I bought 3 weeks ago, that I wouldn’t have been able to buy if I hired out this rehab. 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @James Wise

    “Hi _____,

    Information on city ordinances can be found at www._____.com.

    Information on tenant responsibilities with respect to on time payments can be found at www._______com. Consequences for continued late rent payments can also be found there.

    Regards,

    _____”

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 90 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @James Wise you have to be one of the funniest in the forums lol

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @James Wise

    “Hi _____,

    Information on city ordinances can be found at www._____.com.

    Information on tenant responsibilities with respect to on time payments can be found at www._______com. Consequences for continued late rent payments can also be found there.

    Regards,

    _____”

    Well done. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ladè Baruwa:

    @James Wise you have to be one of the funniest in the forums lol

     Thanks.....Much love.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt M. I have never run into this issue while rehabbing a unit. Most of my tenants comment on how happy they are that I am working on the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Saturday, Sunday, Holidays I hold off on the noisy stuff until after 9.  I don't even like my neighbors mowing at the early hours they like to do it to beat the heat.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt M. So far, you're working during the right hours based on what the city mandates AND you've explained to the tenant that rehabbing will be going on next door, you'll have to carry on and get the job done! 

    At the end of the day, the work has to be done. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 71 votes
    7y

    I would check noise ordinances and work towards those. I would let her know in advance and have a sympathetic tone. Laws and ordinances are already agreed to by being a citizen of that municipality. You and the tenant already agreed just inform her.

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 385 posts · 274 votes
    7y

    @Jason Taliaferro that is the perfect answer.  

  • Realtor · Concord, NH · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Matt M. As most people on this thread have said already, most towns have a quiet time ordinance. Something I did and will still do is inform the tenants especially the neighboring ones to the units the maintenance schedule for the week, I also tell them I will do my best to keep the noise down etc. makes them feel like you respect them and hopefully they can plan there day better.     But just to be clear, I do not and would not reschedule the contractor if requested. The work needs to be done. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Because my schedule is flexible, I've often done work at hours that weren't my first choice but was more considerate to the tenants. I respect their right to "quiet enjoyment" but sometimes noisy stuff needs to be done. If I had received that text I would have apologized with something like, "Sorry, I didn't think it would bother you as I heard your kids so assumed you were up and about", "I'll work on a different wall for now and get back to that one later on".
  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @John Teachout

    That’s basically exactly what I said!

  • Rental Property Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Matt M.

    Wow, perhaps she can pay her rent without working Sundays? Just a thought.

    My county doesn’t have specific hours for noise control because they recognized a few years back that people work all hours. However a noise complaint can be called in and officers will come out to investigate

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    In my world I need to get things done and I’m not going over to the property for tea and crumpets . I’m getting crap done because my window of time has value to me .Anything after 8 is fair game ! I don’t want to pi$$ everyone off in the building but I really don’t care if the neighbors are sleeping in . No one should be sleeping past 8 anyway ,only a toothless tattoo covered crackhead dullard is still snoring after that . If the sound of my dewalt saw wakes you then so be it

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.

    Ahhhh yes... I was awaiting a reply from you. I figured you’d tell me to tell her to grab a beer and a Newport and shutty.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.