Do you carry a gun when visiting your C-F class properties?

Do you carry a gun when visiting your C-F class properties?

Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 111 votes

Would like to hear from others on this one.

Often, when I tell someone about an apartment building located in a class C neighborhood in NYC, the first question they ask is whether I carry a gun when visiting the property. The building isn't the safest and I have had gangs/drug dealers make threats in the past but I don't carry a gun or any other type of weapon when visiting the property.

Not just because it's extremely difficult to obtain a permit in NYC but more so because I believe carrying a gun would make me come off as more threatening which in turn can cause others to be more aggressive as well. In addition, don't think someone who isn't highly trained (situational and response training) will necessarily use a gun properly if it actually came down to it.

Some people insist that carrying a gun will cause trouble makers to have more respect.

For those actively managing C-F class properties, do you carry any sort of weapon when visiting a given property?

Why or why not?

4Reply
521 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 112 votes
7y

As someone with 25 years as a cop...

1) Do not carry a gun if you can't do it legally.   Places like NYC will prosecute YOU if you use that gun, even if justified in using it.

2). Do not carry a gun if you are not fully trained and plan on continuing that training.   It isn't something you take a weekend course and then think you are done.   It is ongoing and regular training as it is a perishable skill.

Also, if you are carrying, people don't "respect" you because of that.   If you are doing it properly, they won't know you have a firearm.   I can't speak to NYC laws, but in CA, open cary is not legal, so there ins't that element of them avoiding conflict because you are armed.   "Brandishing" or flashing your firearm, even if legally concealed is a crime in most states... So, put it out of your mind that having a firearm will make people avoid conflict with you.  In most circumstances, it creates problems. 

That being said, carrying a firearm isn't for most people because of local laws, but more commonly because their lack of dedication to training.

I would suggest pepper spray or a taser.

Pepper spray for civilians is available at the same levels that the police cary.

Tasers for civilians use the same technology.   The exception is the Tasers for civilians activate for 30 seconds and are designed to deploy, drop the taser and run away.   At 800-1000, it is expensive.

From someone who is a cop and an investor, I would re-think these properties.  If they are that bad, they aren't worth it.

But, if you can do it legally, and are willing to put in the time to train and keep your skills sharp, most cops, including myself,  welcome an armed civilian legally carrying and making good decisions.  

Just my .02 cents.


See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 112 votes
    7y

    As someone with 25 years as a cop...

    1) Do not carry a gun if you can't do it legally.   Places like NYC will prosecute YOU if you use that gun, even if justified in using it.

    2). Do not carry a gun if you are not fully trained and plan on continuing that training.   It isn't something you take a weekend course and then think you are done.   It is ongoing and regular training as it is a perishable skill.

    Also, if you are carrying, people don't "respect" you because of that.   If you are doing it properly, they won't know you have a firearm.   I can't speak to NYC laws, but in CA, open cary is not legal, so there ins't that element of them avoiding conflict because you are armed.   "Brandishing" or flashing your firearm, even if legally concealed is a crime in most states... So, put it out of your mind that having a firearm will make people avoid conflict with you.  In most circumstances, it creates problems. 

    That being said, carrying a firearm isn't for most people because of local laws, but more commonly because their lack of dedication to training.

    I would suggest pepper spray or a taser.

    Pepper spray for civilians is available at the same levels that the police cary.

    Tasers for civilians use the same technology.   The exception is the Tasers for civilians activate for 30 seconds and are designed to deploy, drop the taser and run away.   At 800-1000, it is expensive.

    From someone who is a cop and an investor, I would re-think these properties.  If they are that bad, they aren't worth it.

    But, if you can do it legally, and are willing to put in the time to train and keep your skills sharp, most cops, including myself,  welcome an armed civilian legally carrying and making good decisions.  

    Just my .02 cents.


  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 22 votes
    7y

    I carry a gun everywhere I am legally able to do so. I would not carry illegally and try to avoid situations where I think the gun has a high probability of being needed. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    I personally don't but know many C D F PM's that do.

    they are in these high risk homes daily pert near.

    and not only that unless your as @David Woz mentioned in the heat of the deal the likely hood of you hitting anyone or anything is remote.. just grab a pistol and try to hit something 20 to 30 feet away from you.. 

    and also if confronted with a pistol  its run in zig zags.. chances of the other folks being a marksmen is not high I think you have a better chance doing that then submitting and having someone walk up and shoot you while you are standing still.. 

    just my thoughts.. after firing pistols a few times in my life.. rifle different story. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 416 posts · 396 votes
    7y

    Unless you’re Doc Holiday from Tombstone and best best friends with Wyatt Earp, I feel like by the time you would be able to get to the gun, it would be to late.  The person charging at you will already be on you.  Then it becomes a fight for the gun itself.  Wrestling for the gun could cause it to discharge, and hit an innocent bystander.  Most confrontations start up close and personal.  Self defense classes may be your best bet. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    I own many guns ( legally) but I don’t carry a pistol with me and I invest in low income areas . That being said I certainly wouldn’t fault a guy if he did . You are more likely to accidentally shoot yourself or invite a confrontation if you carry a gun around and I don’t see any reason to direct unnecessary attention to myself . Most people think having a gun handy is some kind of way to mitigate problems but the reality is if you pull that gun of hiding and present it you better be prepared to use it . You should only pull it if you plan to shoot because when the gun is revealed you changed the entire dynamic of the environment around you and just having it out may invite someone who isn’t afraid to use theirs to shoot you !if the guy wants my wallet or cash that bad he can have it

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 273 votes
    7y

    I don't carry one, but there have been times I wished I had one. Pit bulls snarling and baring down is, I believe a common problem a pistol would solve. It would be worth devising something non-lethal for that alone! Shooting people opens a huge can of worms of course.

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    7y

    @Wy Kay

    For some reason your shooting yourself in the foot

  • Member since 2019 · 295 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    @Wy Kay. Me personally I carry a gun whether I go to my What I consider an A or C class properties but even more so when I go to my C it’s just a different type of environment and mentality also their upbringing is different from my A class property renters I have to really be on my toes but I look like a tenant tbh so most people don’t mess with me I don’t scream their goes the landlord. I do drive a brand new 2018 truck but even so it’s not top of the line if anything that would make me a target more than anything else. But you have to protect yourself at all times.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    7y

    Yeah no one ever knows if you are carrying properly.  And even if you are in a tense situation, a lot of times a gun could only make it worse.  Only time someone needs to know is when it's time to use one.  And then you better be right and you better have representation because your life will be turned upside down regardless.  

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    If you have to carry a gun, it's not a C class...it's lower.

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    I don't even own or want a gun.

    If the area is that bad, avoid it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    7y

    @Lee Bell, I just always want one more...lol

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    @Heath M.

    I just always want one more...lol...........

    Watch out for the judge that says that.

    He will throw your azz in the city joint.

    Look you in the eye and say, you got my point?

    Oh, yeah. LOL.

  • Poplar Bluff, MO · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    I own several guns and never carry a gun in the C or lower class areas my family and I own properties in. You need to make yourself well acquainted in the neighborhoods where you own properties so people know who you are and why you are there. Also don't ever carry large amounts of cash. And finally play offense and be aware of your surroundings.I have been a landlord off and on for 15 years in very tough neighborhoods. I have only had reason to become concerned once and I got in my pickup and left! That is the best thing you can do if you fear for your safety!
  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I carry bear arms with me. Confuses the hell out of people, but if needed a good way to make attack with claws. My right to bear arms is fully protected by the 2nd amendment.

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    I carry mine everywhere I go that is legal in my state. I have my CCW permit for 30 something states though so nobody knows I have it unless I need to use it.

  • Medford Oregon · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 65 votes
    7y

    The best protection is situational awareness. I have had a CHL since I was 22. I also spent time in Iraq. Point is, I rarely carry because I rarely place myself in situations that would dictate the need. Thank you to those who preach training as that and the RIGHT mindset are more effective than a cowboy packing heat. 

    If I owned property where I felt the need to carry when I visited I am putting myself in that situation. If something happened that required me to take the life of another human, I could try to justify it as "self defense" but the truth is, I chose to place myself in that situation in the pursuit of money. Having seen my share of death, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need the money that bad. 

  • Professional · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 262 votes
    7y

    WHAT type of threats did people make against you and why??? Maybe if you can squash that then you can reduce issues

  • Professional · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 262 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Huff:

    I own several guns and never carry a gun in the C or lower class areas my family and I own properties in. You need to make yourself well acquainted in the neighborhoods where you own properties so people know who you are and why you are there. Also don't ever carry large amounts of cash. And finally play offense and be aware of your surroundings.I have been a landlord off and on for 15 years in very tough neighborhoods. I have only had reason to become concerned once and I got in my pickup and left! That is the best thing you can do if you fear for your safety!

    Well said, watch your surroundings 

  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    If you are legally armed, trained, proficient, willing and able to use a firearm for the proper legal means of protecting yourself and others... Than Yes! I truly believe more people should, and more crises could possibly be overrated if it were so.

    “An armed society is a polite society. . .”
    — Robert Heinlein’s

    Best regards,

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    I dont buy anything in an area I wouldnt live . If I felt I needed a gun to go to a property I own , its time to dump that property . Just 1 shot fired can cost more in time and legal fees than you would make off the property in 10 years . And since the courts are a crap shoot , you could get 10 years . For what ? A property that cash flows $300 a month? 

    Over the labor day weekend in Baltimore there was 36 shootings with 7 or 8 dead . ( they arent the best shots in the city ) . You have to ask yourself is the reward worth the risk ?

    It may be your property , but its their turf .  . 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland Heights · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 35 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Killam

    More guns equal more death. Your quote sounds good in theory and I’m not against gun ownership but the societies who have more guns per capita also see more murders per capita.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Wy Kay How would you come across as threatening if nobody could see it? Keep it concealed. I don’t know NYC gun laws but I suspect open carry is absolutely banned, and concealed carry is most likely very difficult to obtain. 

    I bought a handgun a couple years back for home defense. After doing research on how to obtain a concealed carry permit I quickly realized that it wasn’t going to happen. Los Angeles County makes it impossible. Unless you’re a current or retired law enforcement officer you can forget about it. I suspect NYC is the same. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Woz:

    As someone with 25 years as a cop...

    1) Do not carry a gun if you can't do it legally.   Places like NYC will prosecute YOU if you use that gun, even if justified in using it.

    2). Do not carry a gun if you are not fully trained and plan on continuing that training.   It isn't something you take a weekend course and then think you are done.   It is ongoing and regular training as it is a perishable skill.

    Also, if you are carrying, people don't "respect" you because of that.   If you are doing it properly, they won't know you have a firearm.   I can't speak to NYC laws, but in CA, open cary is not legal, so there ins't that element of them avoiding conflict because you are armed.   "Brandishing" or flashing your firearm, even if legally concealed is a crime in most states... So, put it out of your mind that having a firearm will make people avoid conflict with you.  In most circumstances, it creates problems. 

    That being said, carrying a firearm isn't for most people because of local laws, but more commonly because their lack of dedication to training.

    I would suggest pepper spray or a taser.

    Pepper spray for civilians is available at the same levels that the police cary.

    Tasers for civilians use the same technology.   The exception is the Tasers for civilians activate for 30 seconds and are designed to deploy, drop the taser and run away.   At 800-1000, it is expensive.

    From someone who is a cop and an investor, I would re-think these properties.  If they are that bad, they aren't worth it.

    But, if you can do it legally, and are willing to put in the time to train and keep your skills sharp, most cops, including myself,  welcome an armed civilian legally carrying and making good decisions.  

    Just my .02 cents.
     

     I agree that open carry would be a bad idea. Not in a big city like NYC or LA. It would attract way too much attention. I’ve never really understood why someone would want to open carry. I guess in a rural setting it would be no big deal, but where we live it would be like wearing a Halloween costume walking down the street. I like to keep a low profile. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 185 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    I carry whenever it's legal. I'm actually carrying now as a matter of fact. 


    You mentioned one of the reasons you don't carry is because "it would come off as more threatening which in turn can cause others to be more aggressive as well". First off, my tenants or anyone around me would never even know I carry; it's always concealed. If you're in an open carry state, I would still conceal. It can easily come off as threatening if you're showing it off on your hip to show them "who's boss" or to give the "don't mess with me feeling". If you do decide to carry, please visit the firing range many times and train yourself on how use them properly and seek additional training if you aren't quite comfortable with it yet. If you're still not comfortable carrying or don't trust yourself enough, go with a taser like @David Woz said. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.