Looking for laminate wood flooring advice

Looking for laminate wood flooring advice

Rental Property Investor · Surry Virginia · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes

Im shopping flooring options for new rental. 1300 sqft and Im thinking of laminate wood for whole house(including kitchen and baths) Any advice/recommendations for options that work well for whole home coverage would be appreciated. Thanks

1Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 58 votes
7y

I would personally recommend vinyl wood plank over wood laminate as it's more durable and resistant to water.

Wood laminate is typically made out of thin particle board, and any water will damage it pretty easily. Vinyl on the other hand is a lot more resilient and won't warp with water damage. It's also harder to chip and can take more of a beating.

You can find cheap vinyl plank that looks like the same as wood laminate too.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    I would personally recommend vinyl wood plank over wood laminate as it's more durable and resistant to water.

    Wood laminate is typically made out of thin particle board, and any water will damage it pretty easily. Vinyl on the other hand is a lot more resilient and won't warp with water damage. It's also harder to chip and can take more of a beating.

    You can find cheap vinyl plank that looks like the same as wood laminate too.

  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    Vinyl wood plank is a much better option. Laminate will get damaged from water at some point and it’s just not near as durable, especially for a rent property. There are many different types of vinyl wood and some of them look as good as or better than laminate. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Surry Virginia · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    I appreciate the response. In looking at the Vinyl Plank, I see a wide range of options and cost. As low as .70 per sq ft for 1.5mm thickness and as high as $2.50 per sq ft for the 4mm+ thickness. Any tips on this? Obviously, I would think thicker is better, but any experience with specific thickness, brands, etc.? Thanks!
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus and Jonesboro GA · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 56 votes
    7y

    I have used Allure brand from HD , they have a good color selection. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I used Armstrong Vivero Better luxury vinyl (charcoal) in a recent rehab and it turned out nice. Super easy to worth with and very resistant to damage.

  • Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Leah Slaughter

    I have no experience with vinyl plank. I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but would love some clarification on the durability and water resistance of vinyl planking. My understanding is that vinyl plank is made with a layer of wood at the base- the same type of wood that you see at the base of hardwood laminate. I’ve had spills on laminate and the cheap wood underneath expanded and bubbled up the laminate layer. I would assume the same thing would happen with vinyl planking if water made its way through the cracks in the interlocking pieces. Am I right? Obviously the top layer of the actual vinyl would stay intact, but I wonder if the wood below would expand. Im a fan of VCT, I’ve found it to be the most tenant-proof flooring next to real hardwood. But I’m not crazy on the appearance as it has that “commercial” look to it. I’m wondering if they make glue down VCT in “plank” form.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, IL · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I've had good luck with ceramic plank tile that resembles hardwood. I usually go with 6" x 24" tile since it's easier to work with than 36" options. It's water proof, looks great, and priced around $1.50-2.00/square foot. You'll also have some expense with the concrete board underneath (about $0.67/ft) and some grout. In my student rentals, I'll use this in all the kitchens, bathrooms, entryways, and sometimes the living rooms. Sure, the college kids will occasionally break a tile, but it's easy enough to chisel out and replace. Some people might not like the cold feel of the tile, but I never hear complaints from the tenants. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    The vinyl we use is 100% vinyl - no wood underneath - and is pretty much indestructible. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    7y

    @Ian Middleton several votes here for vinyl plank -- 

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hello @Jason Seward I have personally laid down the gamut of flooring.

    My first units (approaching the 5 year mark) I used the least expensive lakeshore pecan from HD. .79 a square foot. It looks wonderful and has held up great. I would not put it in a kitchen or bathroom and in those cases I put down vinyl trafficmaster with a faux tile design. Not the glue down but the ones that glue to each other. I do not believe the still make them.

    In my next round of apartments, I used the thin, I believe traffic master, vinyl flooring that floats, but glued to each other. This worked nice, was cost effective at I believe 1.79 a sq.ft. and easy to work with. It looks nice (ok) and has held up fine. Unfortunately I t picks up every seem or uneven area of a sub-floor.

    On the last apartment we finished this summer I pulled out all the stops and put down life proof LVF and it is worth every penny. It is easy to lay, extraordinarily sturdy and looks fantastic. Unfortunately I see that the price of it keeps going up (tariffs?) but I cannot stress how happy I am with it, the ease of installation and use in every room.

    (Note: these are apartments so I don’t need to be concerned with resale to a non-investor (hardwood). I do not allow pets and my tenant pool is higher end just below the luxury apartments in my market).

    We gradually increase the $ we put into renovations as we moved forward after each completed apartment, and saw that the market would justify the increase.

    I have posted some threads from time to time- but I will post a photo or 2 later.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    This was our first Apt.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    3rd and 4th with the lower cost adhesive stripped vinyl. Super easy to work with, all you need is some large vinyl snips.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    This is our last with the Lifeproof. Have a good laminate cutter, I found it to be easy and a lot less leftover. I wish I had some better pics hand, but it is worth every penny.

  • Rental Property Investor · Surry Virginia · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Good Stuff! Roughly how much is the life proof product per sq ft? Thanks
  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I want to say I paid 2.79 a square foot- but I see it has jumped to 3.19.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jason Seward 

    If this is for a rental, then you can do a Rentovation, so vinyl plank is the way to go!

    Remember, for rentals, things are always going to be damaged, sorry the tenants call it "wear and tear".

  • Wisconsin: Eau Claire and Rapids · Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    @Patrick M.

    Can't speak to rentals as I'm new but several friends have done the LifeProof flooring and they swear by it being durable and easy to DIY.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    @Jason Seward as many stayed, vinyl planking hold up better to spills , less worries in rental environments. Life proof is a good quality, $3 to $4 per sq ft. If you want to use wood banking, I would suggest a pergo outlast or something similar. It does have some water resistant features as the connection are sealed as well. This brand is also $3 to $5 per sq ft. Range.

    For great durability and longevity, tile would be the way to go in the kitchen.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Rebecca E. I tell my wife that if I had to do it over, I would rather it in our home than our hardwood floors. Hardwood floors are way overrated with these materials available today!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mountain Top, PA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Jason Seward

    Vinyl plank is the way to go. Very easy to install and will last much longer than laminate. There are usually sales at your local Home Depot which will allow you to purchase under 3$ per sqft. You can also receive discounts from the Pro Desk or if you have a coupon. There are many levels of vinyl flooring as far as thickness which can save you money but I personally like the Lifeproof stuff.

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    @everybody. Vinyl plank is definitely the way to go, and honestly I don't see any use for laminate anymore. If you decide to go with vinyl plank, if any of it will see an ounce of sun, make sure you get the planking that is sun proof. Otherwise it will buckle up on you, and you'll be doing it again real soon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Surry Virginia · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thank you all! This has been very helpful. Every other house ive owned had old hardwood that we were able to refinish so this is my first experience with an entire house down to the subfloor. Based on the replies, Vinyl plank it shall be!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Jason Seward I would use the laminate that looks like tile for bathrooms and kitchen because it will break it up and look even better. They do come in like 13x13 squares as well with a raised embossed feel to it so it feels and looks like tiles.

  • Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 130 votes
    7y

    @Jason Seward

    I really like the vinyl planks, LVT, or Luxury Vinyl Tile we call it here. I tried some cheap stuff from home depot with adhesive strips on the edges and the subflooring heat made big cracks open up (the vinyl expands with heat and the adhesive softens. And then cracks form as the vinyl cools and shrinks) I much prefer the LVT that clicks together on the edges. I have some in my basement that has been flooded 3 times and still looks new. Ths best part is that it goes down fast and relatively easily. Though it is still hard to beat laminate for cheap -- my father-in-law put some $.50/sf off brand laminate in his house 10 years ago and it still looks great.

  • Investor · Los Angeles & Detroit · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Darin Bowers I second ceramic tile. We have them in our personal home with two young boys and our rentals. Looks great and very durable.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.