Should I sue for back rent?

Should I sue for back rent?

Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 55 votes

Hi everyone!

Just wanted some opinions on my current situation. I have a multi -unit home just outside of Boston ( SUPER TENANT FRIENDLY STATE). I live pretty close to the home and thought hey, I can handle this house, its in the next city over. WRONG !!!!! 

Long story short, I rented out one of the Units back in June, and I had nightmare tenants from the start. They paid late the second month, made every excuse in the book. Paid late again the third month, I had to serve a Notice to QUIT both months. Now, in September they didn't pay at all! I literally could not deal with them and ending up hiring Property Management. They reserved another notice to quit, and they vacated on their own. Thankfully. The girl had a wicked attitude and demanded her security deposit back. Which obviously I have to return because it can only be used for damages.

Anyway, its obvious I got stuck with what they call "professional tenants". I'm tired of people getting away with not paying and the landlord having to eat the cost. Property management advised me that its not worth going to court over. Its not the lost rent that irritates me, it is the principle, that they do this to other land lords and ultimately get away with it. Should I sue them in small claims court, or is it really not worth pursuing? Thoughts?

6Reply
145 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

Why do you say “obviously” you have to return the tenant’s security deposit because “it can only be used for damages”?  Security deposits can be used towards unpaid rent, and that’s what you should be using this tenant’s security deposit for. Don’t let this professional tenant bully you into returning it if they legitimately owe you money for rent.

See this reply in the discussion

82 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2017 · 190 posts · 117 votes
    6y

    @Sharon Steenbergen consider the rent lost. Not worth chasing the tenant in small claims because if you win - you will never collect

  • Real Estate Agent · Stockton, CA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Sharon Steenbergen I do believe that going to small claims court would be a complete waste of your time, an emotional process as well it’s expensive. However if you simply have the property management company go to a collection agency for the remaining money due that does show up on their credit and it will alert future property managers that they owe a debt to a property management company and or landlord even though there’s no evection on their record, and even though there is a very slim chance they will ever pay what do owe, you are attaching a red flag on these residents. Ps Regardless of what laws there are anywhere, if you make sure your Lease Agreement is created or looked over by a lawyer, and throughly explained and signed by all parties stating where deposits can go to in case of non payment etc. you CAN allow care and keep deposits. However, the residents could request mediation etc. fear can keep you from keeping what’s rightfully yours, and education is key to confidence when dealing with residents.

    A class properties do give you A class residents, and being very diligent doing ALL your checks when processing, use all tools available to make sure your putting in responsible and qualified tenants.

  • Real Estate Investor · Catonsville, MD · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    I sue almost everyone of my tenants when they leave. In Maryland a judgement is good for 12 years and can be renewed at that time for another 12. I have an attorney that is pretty aggressive in garnishing wages and bank accounts. Last August I got $7,000 from one of the tenants bank accounts.  She had forgotten about the judgement so she called to make arrangements for monthly payments to pay off balance. I am collecting $600 per month from another tenant who had skipped out and we got a judgement on and are garnishing her wages.  I have collected on others as well over the years.  It is found money for me with little effort. Attorney will take 33 to 50% of collected amount.

  • Property Manager · Nashville, TN · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Sharon S. have you thought of skipping the court system to sue for back rent vs. sending them to collections? Here in Ohio we can do so. It will show up on their credit history and rental history. Even if you don't get a dime from them sometimes it's "satisfaction" knowing it shows up on their history for others to see. 

  • Towson, MD · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Kyle J.i agree! Take the security deposit and also just make sure to save enough monthly for vacancies and people not paying

  • Arlington, VA · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 100 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Timothy M.:


    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    @Account Closed  All properties cash flow.  I'll say it again to make my point.....all properties cash flow. (Assuming they are not vacant).  What you are likely alluding to is debt service.  The risk that comes from leverage is completely independent of the risk of the asset and the market.  What someones debt service or borrowing terms are have nothing to do with a properties and markets fundamentals.

    But also what most people on these boards, and really most novice mom and pop investors fail to realize (and thats the vast majority of landlords in the country) is that in any investment vehicle is that yield is a measure of risk.  The higher the yield...the market is telling us the higher the risk. In a dividend stock, a high dividend is the market telling us high risk. In bonds, a high coupon is the market telling us higher risk.  In real estate, the higher yield is the market telling us higher risk.  That higher dividend/coupon/cash flow is the reward you get for taking on the higher risk of investing in a higher risk financial instrument.  But what happens is because so many lack a fundamental education in finance, that small investors get this 100% backwards.  They believe that the higher cash flow is safety...when that is 100% the opposite of reality. The higher cash flow is the reward for taken on a higher risk asset.

    So would I take lower cash flow in a low risk, high demand market over higher cash flow in a low demand higher risk market? Yeah almost every time, unless Im purposefully looking to add a little bit more yield/risk to a portfolio.

    Russell, curious where you come down on this - should OP (or any mom&pop investor) in their accumulation phase pick up an asset that has an extremely low rental yield (looking at you, SF, NYC, DC, Boston!) but is in a very desirable area? Genuinely curious to your answer on this.

    Take a hypothetical property that costs 500k but only rents for like 2.5k-3.0k a month. This is - by most standards espoused on this site - a terrible rental. Yes, the property cash flows if completely paid off, but the yield is extraordinarily low, and arguably worse than most other options (equities?). The equation looks even much, much worse if we are talking about slapping some leverage on that already-poor-yield play.

    So... in your opinion, what's a mom and pop investor to do? Buy that 500k property and hope it appreciates? Or buy 4-5 100k houses in more working-class areas which rent closer to 1k apiece? Or some hybrid in the middle? 

    (I'm talking long-term wealth creation here, not just looking at this from the rental income angle)

     Hey Tim...good to see you, hope things are going well.

    Yes I am a big proponent of buying these types of assets.  Theres a reason why the highest concentrations of millionaires are in Maryland, and specifically the DC suburbs of Maryland. Then after that the highest concentrations are found in NY, then Boston, then the Bay area.....and the median incomes of those people are not nearly as high as someone would expect.  Its because they own their homes in high demand areas.  Where demand is high and supply is low, prices and rents will rise.  Ive got 1 door in Rockville where I now have free cash flow of $1600 per month. Anyone getting $1600 on a door in Kansas city....even after a decade of owning it? It took me 10 years to get to that $1600, but rents will rise dramatically where demand is high, and supply is restricted.

    Hey Russell - great to see you, too! Completely agree, if you can afford to long-term buy-and-hold in SF, DC, NYC, etc., that is absolutely the route I would take. 

    The question is just for the 95% of ppl who won't be able to scale that model (hah, yours truly included!). Dropping 100k on a down payment in any one of those locations and breaking even for 5-10 years, hoping for rents to track upwards and/or principal paydown to increase doesn't seem like a super ideal way forward. What do you do for upkeep on those years when you're barely breaking even / not turning a profit? You have to keep feeding the alligator with a hope of a big payout on the back end?

    I'd be curious to see what the IRR is after a medium term holding period (say, 5-10 years) while compared to equities over the same time period, absent some amazing RE appreciation bailout on the back-end.

    What do you think about a model where someone buys a few higher-end houses (e.g., DC and NY) over the course of their lifetime, and then picks up workhorse type rental houses to help offset the cost of owning one of those class-A rentals?

  • Real Estate Agent · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Sharon Steenbergen

    Principle is the worst reason to sue. (Been There)

    Get Mad - Get over it - Smile - Move On

    Thank those people for educating you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Montclair, NJ · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Rosa what’s a professional tenant?

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Crislie P.:

    @Anthony Rosa what’s a professional tenant?

    It's a nightmare tenant. 

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    6y

    Sounds like you need to gut your lease agreement , you should keep the deposit for more then damages .

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 80 votes
    6y

    @Sharon Steenbergen

    Your current Property Manager needs to get fired. The fact that they told you the wrong information about the deposit is enough for me. Not all property managers look out for your best interest. Ask the next property manager what would they do with a deposit from a tenet that did not pay their rent? Property managers makes more money by releasing your unit vs spending the time of going to court.

    Since you are about principle. I would keep the deposit and have the tenet fight you if they want it back. Get a better attorney that specializes in evictions and collections for a better price. If you are going to be doing this for the long term, you will need a better attorney and property manager.

  • Vincent Q.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil

    Russell,

    Trying to figure out why you send a nasty reply like that!

    This lady is obviously looking for her BP family to lend kind advise to solve her current problem she is in.

    Many people on BP are just starting out and dont have the money to start with a class A property. Most people make a successful life without class A property's.

    Its a real shame how you answer on this forum.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Vincent Q.:

    @Russell Brazil

    Russell,

    Trying to figure out why you send a nasty reply like that!

    This lady is obviously looking for her BP family to lend kind advise to solve her current problem she is in.

    Many people on BP are just starting out and dont have the money to start with a class A property. Most people make a successful life without class A property's.

    Its a real shame how you answer on this forum.

     What you view as a nasty reply, I, and many on here, view as sound advice.  Telling people what they want to hear isnt why Im here.  Giving good sound advice and telling people the realities of the market, are why Im here.  Without question the best advice for someone who cant handle the realities of investing in lower class properties is to instead invest in higher class properties.  There are plenty of places people can go get the answers they would rather hear.  If they want honest answers thay reflect the harsh realities of this business, then rhey can come here and I, and many of the other people will tell them our opinions. 

    You think people cant afford to invest in class a? What good is investing in class c or d of you lose money? Im of the complete opposite view of your statement, I think people cant afford to invest in the lower class properties. Those are the ones that will bankrupt when things go bad.

  • Vincent Q.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil

    I guess what im saying is, how did your original reply help her in her "current situation". It provided nothing of value to solve her current issue.

    Why even reply?

    Maybe give her advice to help her with her issue. Then end it by saying by saying something like. Try investing in class A property's to aviod headaches like that.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Vincent Q.:

    @Russell Brazil

    I guess what im saying is, how did your original reply help her in her "current situation". It provided nothing of value to solve her current issue.

    Why even reply?

    Maybe give her advice to help her with her issue. Then end it by saying by saying something like. Try investing in class A property's to aviod headaches like that.

     Because 90% of what I write on here is short, to the point, succinct advise that fits in a fortune cookie or on a Tweet.  Instead of writing 3 paragraphs on selling the property and reinvesting in better properties, I boil it down to 1 simple sentence thats easy for everyone to understand, and which people will actually read. 

  • Vincent Q.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil

    It still didn't help her in her "current" situation!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Vincent Q.:

    @Russell Brazil

    It still didn't help her in her "current" situation!

    You dont like the advice, then dont follow it. 

    These posts though will exist here for a decade or more.  Tens of thousands of people will read that post, and guess what, some of them are going to make that neural synapse connection, and they will think, yeah the lower class properties arnt for me, Ill invest in the higher class ones, and as is inevitable, they will thank me for doling out that advice as happens time and time again.

    Instead of getting offended at advice you dont like, why dont you just offer your own advice instead?

  • Vincent Q.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil

    Its funny that you advised me to offer my own advice. When you clearly provided none to a BP member who was in need and looking for advice to solve her current problem. Thats what BP is all about. People of all different levels, experiencing growing pains along the way, and need advice to solve problems they are currently in. You provided a statement that offered no Value in her current situation.

    I don't know how you don't see that.

    A decade from now as like you said, people who read this will see that you did not help this nice lady out, but made a arrogant comment.

  • David BarnettPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2016 · 634 posts · 415 votes
    6y

    @Vincent Q. There were plenty of other people that told her not to try to sue someone based on principle.  Not to mention, @Russell Brazil makes very good points.  To be honest, I'm not one that invest in A properties, my properties are mid to high B properties.  However, Sharon invested in a part of the North Shore that is rougher around the edges.  Russell's advice is good that someone without experience shouldn't be investing in rougher areas, or be a bit more battle tested.  Sharon invested in a rougher neighborhood in a tenant friendly state (double whammy).  She also is a bit confused on the inside of a property (finishes) vs. neighborhood constraints.  I would argue that the OP needs to hear these perspectives so she doesn't make the same mistakes moving forward.  

  • Vincent Q.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @David Barnett,

    Hi David,

    I totally agree with everything you just spelled out. 100%

    My issue was that nice lady was in need of advice for her current situation. She is obviously stressed out with her situation. We come to bigger pockets for help. Help from people who have been through the situations before. And bp can share advice to help her ease her pain.

    The comment the other person stated was irrelevant. It would have been great advice if he mentioned it to her before she bought in that neighborhood. Or even saying, here is what you could do in your current situation. But that she should consider investing i. A property's going fwd.

    Like i said. I actually agree with A property's. But his response provided no solution to her situation at hand.

    Thats all i was saying.

    Thank you for your reply. Im not on here to go back and forth with someone. I just felt that if i was in her shoes, that I would hope BP individuals especially a 'pro' would actually help her!

    Thank you again.

  • David BarnettPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2016 · 634 posts · 415 votes
    6y

    @Vincent Q. I don't mean to belabor a point, and I slightly disagree.  By mentioning that A properties are a much more safe investment, that does help her in her current predicament.  It gives her insight into the type of property that she should be targeting going forward.  We may disagree on this point, and that's fine.  The third property that I bought out of state was in a rougher neighborhood block (probably similar to the type of neighborhood that Sharon is in currently).  I had a break-in when the property was vacant, partying and blood on the floor (use your imagination), and once we did get it filled, the tenant abandoned the property mid-lease with no notice (and didn't pay full months' rent prior to abandonment).  The difference is that this was my third property, and not my first buy and hold, which I think is different in Sharon's situation.  These are the types of things that happen in less desirable neighborhoods, and is part of the real estate investing game.  Russell offered a different perspective, especially since it was apparent to me that Sharon wasn't battle tested and ready for this like an experienced investor/landlord would be...

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David Barnett:

    @Vincent Q. There were plenty of other people that told her not to try to sue someone based on principle.  Not to mention, @Russell Brazil makes very good points.  To be honest, I'm not one that invest in A properties, my properties are mid to high B properties.  However, Sharon invested in a part of the North Shore that is rougher around the edges.  Russell's advice is good that someone without experience shouldn't be investing in rougher areas, or be a bit more battle tested.  Sharon invested in a rougher neighborhood in a tenant friendly state (double whammy).  She also is a bit confused on the inside of a property (finishes) vs. neighborhood constraints.  I would argue that the OP needs to hear these perspectives so she doesn't make the same mistakes moving forward.  

     Thanks David. That guy though just wants people to say what he wants to hear as opposed to getting opinions he doesnt agree with, and when he doesnt agree with them he acuses people of being nasty.  He just cant accept easy to understand advice if it doesnt line up with the advice hed prefer to hear.   Ive had lower class properties, I cut them out snd dont touch them know. People eirher have the stomach for it or dont, and if you dont, you should buy higher class ones, just like I said. Ive in fact owned lower class properties not that far from the Op. (In Chelsea). 

  • David BarnettPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2016 · 634 posts · 415 votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil Got it.  I figured I needed to call it out, though.  Surprisingly, Chelsea is going through a resurgence, at least in certain parts of the city (I think the parts that are closer to Eastie and the Waterfront).  I think the part of Chelsea that touches Revere is still a bit rough.  The impression that I got from Sharon's posts is that she doesn't have the stomach for the headaches, which leads me again to say that your advice for someone in her position is spot on.  With Massachusetts being so tenant friendly, I would never touch a rougher property in MA.  My risk antenna goes up, and too many bad things can happen in a perfect storm of crap for my liking.

  • Vincent Q.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil

    Russell,

    You didn't help her in her situation at hand.

    Did you?

    What advice did you provide to her regarding her tennant?

    Please tell me and i will publicly apologize to you!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David Barnett:

    @Russell Brazil Got it.  I figured I needed to call it out, though.  Surprisingly, Chelsea is going through a resurgence, at least in certain parts of the city (I think the parts that are closer to Eastie and the Waterfront).  I think the part of Chelsea that touches Revere is still a bit rough.  The impression that I got from Sharon's posts is that she doesn't have the stomach for the headaches, which leads me again to say that your advice for someone in her position is spot on.  With Massachusetts being so tenant friendly, I would never touch a rougher property in MA.  My risk antenna goes up, and too many bad things can happen in a perfect storm of crap for my liking.

     People look at the proforma numbers, what the numbers look like on paper, with little understanding of the risks involved in certain class properties. Heck, Ive done it. Ive lost money in lower class, and Ive also made a ton of money (that was in Chelsea), but theres just higr risk there. People confuse what cash flow is. They see that higher cash flow in lower class and think that cash flow provides safety, when in fact the opposite is true....that higher yield is the economic incentive the investor receives for taking on a higher risk asset. But as any of us who have invested in that class know, with the higher risk comes a much higher likelihood that your real numbers wont match yoir proforma numbers because of those darn tenants.  Massachusetts too is pretty out of control with the tenant stuff too, and thats coming from a guy in Maryland thats just as blue. 

    Class A or B though, your tenants pay, evictions are rare.  Vacancies get filled quicker, less work on turnovers since the places arnt trashed. Ill take those all day long now. But I will say I made significant money in Chelsea, but I was also very very aware of the tenant class I was buying into. (Im from there originally, so I can say, its a crap hole, even if its grtting better)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.