cost segregation rental real estate

cost segregation rental real estate

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

We renovated and used a home as our primary residence for a number of years before converting it to a rental.  We have detailed receipts and spreadsheets summarizing the cost of the improvements that were made.  I believe that it would be possible to use this detail to break the assets out into specific classes, rather than lumping everything into 27.5 year property in the year it was placed into service. 

Any thoughts or experiences with doing this?  The IRS example of a home converted to rental use in Pub 527 shows all of the improvements being included as 27.5 year property, but I can't think of any reason that would be required if there's a legitimate way to allocate costs for improvements to specific, shorter-life categories.

Also of note - this is a very profitable rental, so without breaking out depreciation (and thereby increasing it), there will be taxable income for the year.

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Lee RipmaPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

@Carol Smith

I do cost segs on all my rental properties even when they are small. Feel free to message me for the company I use. I think it is 100% worth it to do this! 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    I'd talk with your CPA.  On a small property it can be a pain to manage all that minutia. 

    Also if you really want to get max depreciation, you would want to pay for a cost seg analysis.  It will help keep you out of trouble with the IRS too.

    Alternately you could just buy another property and let that depreciation of that one offset your taxable income.

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Carol Smith

    I do cost segs on all my rental properties even when they are small. Feel free to message me for the company I use. I think it is 100% worth it to do this! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 134 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    @Lee Ripma Hi Lee mind telling me who you use for your cost seg and do these folks needs to be local to the market in invest in? Also if you can let me know any best practices or tips that would be great. Thank you. -Ed 

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Ed Moran

    Message me and I’ll send you who I use, I can’t post that in the forums.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2018 · 52 posts · 9 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Lee Ripma:

    @Carol Smith

    I do cost segs on all my rental properties even when they are small. Feel free to message me for the company I use. I think it is 100% worth it to do this! 

     Hi Lee, what is the primary benefit?  Just the fact that you have more control on how much you write off each year or does it actually save you on taxes?

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Andrew George Dennis

    I don’t really understand the question - a write off saves you on taxes. I save money on my taxes by writing off losses from bonus deprecation generated by cost segregation studies.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford. CT · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    Can someone chime in about reporting cost segregation study findings in the tax forms? I imagine that I would go into schedule E and report the 5 year items lumped together, the 7 year items lumped together, the 15 year items lumped together, and then subtract that from the 27.5 year MACRS items to get my total? Or, would it be better to itemize each finding in the Assets Worksheets? Any help appreciated!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.