Roof Replacement (Capex) vs. 1/2 Roof Replacement (Opex)?

Roof Replacement (Capex) vs. 1/2 Roof Replacement (Opex)?

Rental Property Investor · Roswell, GA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 22 votes

The roof on my townhouse is nearing the end of it's useful life.  The ridge cap recently blew off and I'm facing the old "repair or replace" question - with a twist.  It's a simple peaked roof.  The front slope faces SW and is exposed to the sun.  I could replace it right now and feel good about it.  The back slope is more protected and has more life left.  I don't feel so good about replacing it right now.  A roofing contractor suggested something I'd never heard of: just replace the front half.  He said that way it would be considered a "repair" and could be expensed as opposed to replacing the whole thing which would be a capex and would have to be depreciated, not expensed.  Does that make sense?  Have any of you done that?  Thanks!

1Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
Moderator
Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

Ah yes, the old tax law educated roofer. 

Call your accountant- ask them. 

Having it be a repair vs cap may not have any benefit on your taxes. 

Depending on cost and how much is replaced as this "repair" it still may need to be capitalized. 

Before you spent thousands on something that will impact your taxes, get the correct answer for your specific tax circumstances from your tax pro. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Johnstown, PA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Of course check with your accountant first just to verify with them.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 201 votes
    6y

    @Jim Young Disregarding the opinion of the roofer on taxes, I would go back to him and ask what are the pros and cons (including the costs) of replacing half versus the entire roof, or better yet ask another roofer who's expert on the roof, not the taxes. As far as taxes, it's not as simple as 50% or 100% replacement, there are different factors to consider to determine if it's an opex or capex. And if you are concern about the timing of when will you expense the costs, as Natalie mentioned, expensing it outright may not benefit you at all, because that depends on your tax situation. Talk to the roofer about the roof and to your accountant about the tax. You asked the questions, so I'm pretty sure you will figure out the best answer to your situation. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Roswell, GA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Dan V. provided a great summary of what I've taken away from this conversation:  "Talk to the roofer about the roof and to your accountant about the tax."  Thank you to everyone that has provided feedback, it's all been very helpful.  

    The only thing I'm still struggling with is whom to talk to about my furnace solenoid, which I didn't know was an issue until I started this thread lol.   

    Make it a great day everyone!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.