Extra rent for renting to a smoker?

Extra rent for renting to a smoker?

Real Estate Agent · Butte, MT · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 7 votes

I have an application from a lady that other than being a smoker, I would rent to.

Does anyone know of anything that would prevent me from charging extra rent and collecting a larger deposit to protect myself from the risk that she smokes inside the home?

0Reply
147 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y

@Russ O'Leary, when I was a smoker, I also 'didn't smoke inside' until it got super cold outside, then all bets were off. 

However, I also just bought a former smoker's house to live in personally. It REEKED. I bought this ozone machine on Amazon and ran it probably 9 times. No more smoke smell.

Read this thread, too. https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52-rental-property-questions-landlording-issues/topics/773844-ohio-tenant-landlord-laws-cigarette-smoking-damage?page=1#p4546281

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    @John Teachout Well, I'm a newcomer to Florida. Brand new. I may be inundated with pet urine and cigarette butts before I know it. I don't remember seeing someone smoke in their house since I was a child, but I'm only familiar with the west coast.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If they smoked inside for 15 years, it will be a special project for someone. takes washing down multiple times with TSP solution. Then priming with an oil/shellac based primer such as BIN. All the flooring will have to come out unless it's tile. The smell may not be able to be removed from the kitchen cabinets.

    That's for smoke. If cats peed in the house a lot it may require removing the subfloor if it can't be adequately sealed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Russ O'Leary

    Well, your state probably caps the amount of deposit you can ask for. But I would not rent to a known smoker. Oh, but they only smoke outside? Sure. 1 step outside the door, with the wind blowing inside.

    I visit my mom, who only smokes outside her apartment. So why is it that my clothes in my suitcase stink after I’ve been there a couple days (note to self, get a hotel next time)?

    In my opinion, it’s one of the most destructive and disgusting habits a person could have. If you knowingly rent to a smoker, don’t complain when they smoke inside and you have a huge cleanup when they move.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Meikle

    They are not a protected class. It’s my property. Nope, I do not knowingly rent to smokers. I suppose you don’t believe a “no pet” policy should ever be had either? What about sex offenders? Felons? Evictions? Bad credit?

  • Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Wick To each their own. I never claimed it was unlawful. I will point out that cat owners represent nearly 30% of applicants and smokers over 15%.

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 466 posts · 471 votes
    6y

    @Russ O'Leary

    Let me present you with an alternative scenario that's counter to what's been said so far.

    Accept the smoker with the extra cleaning deposit. When they leave, advertise the unit as SMOKERS WELCOME! Coz you can be sure that the smoke smell won't bother another smoker, and smokers all over will be looking for a place that will let them smoke. Such places are getting harder to find.

    This may be a bad idea in an apartment where other units can be affected, but should be ideal for an SFR.

  • Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Russ O'Leary why not ask to visit her current apartment? See if it smells like smoke or there is any smoke damage.

  • Property Manager · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 302 posts · 246 votes
    6y

    People will lie on applications and claim to have no pets, be non-smokers, what have you.  Tenants that may be non-smokers when they sign a lease can become smokers.  With rental investments, you are also dealing with people.  And people are imperfect.  The only way to insure that no one ever smokes in your rental home is to not rent it.  If she smokes in the unit, you must repaint.  You can always charge her for additional damages after the final walk-through.  This is not something I would sweat.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 916 posts · 647 votes
    6y

    @Russ O'Leary once you get the bill for how much it costs to remove a smoke smell from your investment you won’t rent to a smoker again

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.