Letting tenant move from one property to another. Both are mine.

Letting tenant move from one property to another. Both are mine.

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I'm new to rental properties. I acquired my first two in 2019 using the BRRRR method. the first property I purchased in Feb. 2019, completed rehab in June 2019 and rented right after. Cashed out 15K when I refi'd in Aug 2019. I just closed on another BRRRR in the same town. I'll start rehab very soon. This home will be very nice when it's completed. I'm putting a 30K rehab into it and will still cash out about 20K when I refi (super excited).

The town I invest in is very small and world travels. I told one person that I have another house that should be available to rent in April 2019. One day later, the tenant in property #1 tells me he wants to move into property #2 as soon as its completed. I can see why he does because Property #2 will be nicer, bigger, and more bedrooms that property #1.

Currently the lease on property #1 is from 6/1/2019-5/31/2020. I collected one month rent as deposit. He is a great tenant and taking very good care of the property. He has planted flowers in the flower beds, keeps the property mowed and in very clean condition.

My question is, should I let him switch properties? And if I do, should I let him before the lease is up?

Property #1 is less expensive in terms of monthly rent but it has an older HVAC system and little insulation, so the utility bills are high. The house is also old. I fixed it up really nice but it was built in 1890 so it has some quirks. It’s a 3/2 with a two-car garage, fenced backyard, and storage building. It rents for $950.00/month.

Property #2 is a 1950’s model so much newer. It will be renovated beautifully and be a 4/2 with a one-car garage once completed and has a much newer hvac system and utilities bills will be much less expensive. I plan on asking $1150.00/ month.

What should I do? Also this is a town of about 1100 people in central Texas so I try to be as reasonable as possible to avoid an upset customer hurting my business.

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2015 · 481 posts · 313 votes
6y

I haven't had this situation before, but I'd be inclined to say yes, as long as you do the following:

Make sure his income can cover the increased rent.  It's up to you whether to re-use the documentation he supplied when renting the first property, or have him provide updated documentation.  You should at least verify that he's still employed.

Ask for a higher security deposit on the second property.  It's up to you whether that means 1) you collect the full security deposit for #2 from him before he moves into #2, and then refund him back his deposit on #1 less repairs once he moves out of #1, or 2) you just charge him the difference in deposits before he moves into #2, and then charge him for any repairs once he moves out of #1.  The first way is more secure for you, but sometimes tenants have trouble with coming up with the deposit on the new place if they haven't got the deposit from the old place back yet.  The second way is more risky for you, but it may improve cash flow for the tenant.

Be up-front with him about the progress of the rehab on #2.  You don't have to tell him every week, but let him know if the April 2019 date is going to change substantially.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2015 · 481 posts · 313 votes
    6y

    I haven't had this situation before, but I'd be inclined to say yes, as long as you do the following:

    Make sure his income can cover the increased rent.  It's up to you whether to re-use the documentation he supplied when renting the first property, or have him provide updated documentation.  You should at least verify that he's still employed.

    Ask for a higher security deposit on the second property.  It's up to you whether that means 1) you collect the full security deposit for #2 from him before he moves into #2, and then refund him back his deposit on #1 less repairs once he moves out of #1, or 2) you just charge him the difference in deposits before he moves into #2, and then charge him for any repairs once he moves out of #1.  The first way is more secure for you, but sometimes tenants have trouble with coming up with the deposit on the new place if they haven't got the deposit from the old place back yet.  The second way is more risky for you, but it may improve cash flow for the tenant.

    Be up-front with him about the progress of the rehab on #2.  You don't have to tell him every week, but let him know if the April 2019 date is going to change substantially.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I agree with Matt.  Either way you will have one unit vacant.  If he moves to the second place once it is done, he will also be amiable to showings of his current home so you can rent that faster.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Once turnover for the price and work of two? I'd pass.

    You already just renovated the big place.

    If he moves in you have to turn over his house too.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Max T, that’s what I’m thinking. Even though property #2 is more expensive, I think property #1 is harder to rent. If I do let him break the contract early and and move into the new house, I think I should be keeping the deposit or leave him on the hook for rent through the end of the lease if the property isn’t rented to a new tenant by the end of his lease, or something in between. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Gray To me this decision comes down to the condition of the unit that the tenant is living in. If it will require no turnover than do it. Essentially I would not voluntarily put yourself in a spot where you are dealing with two turnovers instead of one. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    First, I suspect you are probably below market. You said the second house is bigger, nicer, more bedrooms, but then your rent is only $200 a month? Is that what the market supports?

    When tenants want to move from one unit to another, I treat them just like a new applicant. They apply and get screened (things can change since the last screening). Once approved, they put down the deposit, pay first month's rent, set up utilities, and then move in. After they move out of the old place, I inspect and deal with their deposit like I would any departing tenant. In both cases, they are paying rent for the days occupying each unit, no acceptions.

    If you present this to him, he'll probably stay put. As others have mentioned, it sounds like the older home would be harder to rent and find a good tenant so I'm hesitant to let him transfer unless it were somehow worth my time.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.