How to word non renual of lease

How to word non renual of lease

Investor · Centennial, CO · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 4 votes

One of my tenants lease will be up in June and I don't want to re-sign them.  I want them out because them are not great tenants but more importantly, I want to renovate the unit and get it up to market rent.  How should I word the letter to them that I will not be extending their lease and how far in advance do I need to deliver it?  

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 994 posts · 783 votes
6y

Dear Tenant X, 

The property which you rent will not be available for renewal after the end of you lease on X Date. The home will be undergoing extensive renovations for which the property need to be vacant for an extended period of time. I wish you sucess in finding a suitable replacement property.

We can meet you to collect the keys on X Date, etc. 

I would give it 60 days advance notice. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 994 posts · 783 votes
    6y

    Dear Tenant X, 

    The property which you rent will not be available for renewal after the end of you lease on X Date. The home will be undergoing extensive renovations for which the property need to be vacant for an extended period of time. I wish you sucess in finding a suitable replacement property.

    We can meet you to collect the keys on X Date, etc. 

    I would give it 60 days advance notice. 

  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I concur with Chrstine's approach... you could also 'soften up' the end of it by closing it with something like, "...while we don't have any available units at this time, I would recommend checking with <the name of a couple of big rental agencies in your town>.  That way you give your tenant somewhere to turn for h elp... depending on how savvy your tenants are they may really appreciate some direction on what to do - especially depending on how long they have been in the unit.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I agree with Christine's wording.  Keep it short and simple.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    In my opinion Don’t give the tenant a long winded reason for the plans you have for the unit or planned rehab etc.. . It doesn’t matter . The lease is up and frankly it’s none of their business if I want to turn the place into an opium den or crack house  . Just stick to the facts and give them the information it’s ending soon and the end date . 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Dear (insert names on lease)

    The lease for (insert property address) ending (insert end date) will not be renewed.

    Please contact (insert landlord name) to schedule a pre move out inspection or final move inspection if you're waiving a pre inspection.

    -

    (Your name)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.