Why are potential renters such flakes??

Why are potential renters such flakes??

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 844 posts · 1k+ votes

How do you guys deal with the problem of potential renters who don't show up? I've had two appointments for this morning and neither of them showed up. So basically I'm just sitting here alone in an empty unit on a beautiful sunny Saturday instead of spending time with my wife.

I even confirmed with these two people last night that we were still on for this morning. Both of them confirmed that they would be here but I am 0 for 2 so far. I've tried emailing them but of course they've both gone dark. This always happens to me when trying to get a unit rented....I don't know why I'm surprised it's happening again. I would estimate that whenever I have a unit available, the showup rate is less than 50%.

I guess I'm just old-fashioned, but if I tell someone that I'm going to be at a certain place and even confirm the night before, I would make it a point to show up.

9Reply
238 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

@Tony Kim

After pre screening via google form, I then require the prospect to text me for final confirmation 30 minutes prior to the appointment start time.

I also group several showings together.

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim, it’s the time of year.  I just bought a property, mid-December, have had lots of ‘bites’.  I marketed it $100 a month under market.

    I’ve had about 50+ Zillow ‘hits’.  When I respond, I get ghosted.  I’ve had 2 open houses as I will not ever do private showings.  They are a waste of time.

    I just modified my craigslist ad, offering a $250 gift card if someone rents it starting 1/1.  I’m thinking I will be lucky to get it rented on 2/1.

    Welcome to winter/holidays.  Btw, I’m in Phoenix!  Lol

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim

    That’s what real estate agents go through all the time lol. It’s just a part of the business

  • Hayward, CA · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    My method is similar to Brian's, if I get an inquiry from Zillow or CL I call and text immediately and book a private showing for later that day.  About an hour before the appointment I confirm via text.  I book appointments in 15 min increments.  Rarely am I going to a property to do one showing, I usually have booked half a dozen appointments back to back.  If I'm booked up for today I will book for tomorrow, but if someone wants to see it a few days from now I say "Yes, definitely. I will call you to set an exact time when we get a little closer" then I will call them the day of.  

    All of this being said, I live in a 5 minute radius of the properties I own and I do this full time.  If I self managed on the side, or if I owned property 30 mins away I would probably resort to some of these other methods people have mentioned.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim That text you are sending the night before, send it an hour or two before the showing and I bet you most of your issues go away in regards to you showing up and no one coming. 

    Send them a text an hour or two before the appointment that says "I just wanted to confirm our appintment for today at [time] at [address]. Please confirm you will be coming and if you need to reschedule let me know." I have already told them to expect the text the day of. If someone is serious about viewing the apartment they will respond quickly. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    of coarse they are flakey , they are tenants after all . I mean if they were responsible and had discipline in their life they would be homeowners not renters !

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim

    I would just put electronic lock with the code on the front door. Set appointment 2 hours apart. Let them call when they arrive to the property.

    Then change the code:)

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    6y

    I had the issue of not showing up so I made it a rule you must call me when you are leaving for the house or no dice .

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim -  I would recommend doing two things.

    1.)  Set up showings in clusters for the same day and same time.  Treat the showing like an open house.  It'll reduce the wasted time from the guaranteed no shows

    2.) Require 1 hour pre appointment confirmation via text.  If they confirm during this 1 hour window, they almost always show up.

    I doubt this phenomenon is anything new.  People no show for their flights (which they've paid money for).  That's why airlines try to overbook every flight.   That way they still have a full flight despite the inevitable no shows.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    6y

    I've always had prospective tenants fill out the free application before scheduling the visit.   I've never had anyone who filled out the app be a no show.  I like the "text me 30 minutes prior" idea I'm reading about here, also.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Quincy, MA · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Judy P. Hit it on the nose. Ghosting is a widespread cultural phenomenon. Employers deal with it every day as do restaurants, hotels ... and landlords.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Not showing up can be turned into a positive.  You just disqualified a mediocre tenant.  For affordable housing, I find that only about 50% show up to confirmed showings.  

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Scott P.   Interesting about the application.  But some qualified tenants wouldn't see it because of the hassle of filling out an application for an apartment they have not seen.  If I was looking for an apartment, I might cross it off my list.  

  • Specialist · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 111 posts · 95 votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim

    In 20 years of property mgmt I have never been stood up-- not even once.

    You must improve YOUR screening ** and people / communication skills.

    Be very thorough in your ADS with lots of Prop info!!! TMI is a good thing.

    TAKE CALL NOTES & KEEP them handy from your discussions so when you answer the phone, you appear to KNOW THE TENANT PROSPECT.

    Stay in touch via text right up to when you are getting in your car to head to the property.

    **DO YOU KNOW THESE FACTS ABOUT YOUR TENANT PROSPECT?

    1. When is your planned move-in date?

    2. Why are you moving?

    3. WHAT RENT ARE YOU PAYING NOW?

    4.Where is your workplace (in relation to property--- a reasonable commute?)

    5. Who else needs to see the house to decide?

    6.Are these the schools you're interested in?

    7.How long a lease are you looking for?

    8.Any pets I should know about?

    I wasn’t aware that one of my brokers timed me once when I was phone interviewing a tenant prospect.

    He said “WOW You learned EVERYTHING you needed to know in less than 5 minutes!”

    I’d never thought about it..but

    I take the attitude that I don’t want this prospect to WASTE THEIR TIME OR MINE— we have to see asap if this is

    might be a good fit.

    Hope that helps!

    You’re welcome to pm me anytime with questions : )

    Lisa

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim

    I do 2 group showings. One on a Saturday and the other on a Sunday- one early, one a bit later in the afternoon. The dates and times of the two showings are in all the advertisements. Applications are available only at the showings.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Lisa Hoover great points Lisa, we do something very similar with our applications/placement process.  Also, just as an add on to what others have been saying, we usually cluster appointments not only bc of creating urgency and competition, but as a bit of safety aspect.  Cheers

  • Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2018 · 401 posts · 244 votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim I am brand new to all this, but I was trying to get 2 units at my 8 plex rented, and a few started to flake. From then on out, we basically set up an open house. If you want to see apartment, come Saturday between 10-1. That seemed to work well, and we got it filled up. I have only been in the game for 1 month though. Take my comment with a grain of salt.

  • New to Real Estate · Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Tony Kim

  • Crystal AbingPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Like several others have mentioned, prescreening is a step to have before setting up viewing appointments. You can make your own Google form with prescreen questions or sites like RentRedi have one built in to their platform and you can just click accept or reject on the prequalification apps. Generally, prescreen questions ask for information about # of renters, pets, smoking, credit score, income, etc. Great for weeding out the tenants that are definitely interested in the unit and those who aren't.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Aside from pre-screening I tell them to do a drive by and call me back if they want to see it. The wishy washy ones just can't do that and those who don't know the area or are uncertain will drive by and call back if love it. Do say if you don't call 30 minutes ahead of the appointment I won't be there. 

  • Member since 2021 · 388 posts · 277 votes
    5y

    I never let anyone who contacts me see my places right away. 

    They have to respond to a pre-screening questionnaire that I have to evaluate. 

    They have to show that they are interested to see the place. 

    Those who do not respond withing 24-48hrs are completely out. Only a small number of people gt to see my properties. 

    I am not interested to stuff any warm body there.

  • Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    why are people such flakes.  there fixed the headline for you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.