Screening for booze abuse?

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

I'm assuming that this alcoholism started after you rented to them. Usually, the pre-rental medical screening tests that you put your prospective tenants through would have caught this and any other undesirable diseases they might have. 

I install Interlock devices on all the locks on my units. That way if the tenant comes home drunk the device won't let them in until they sober up. It's trickier if they drink in the unit. Those people I suspect of drinking in the unit I do the surprise landlord unit check and require them to pee in a cup for testing. 

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · ME · Member since 2018 · 179 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    It was serious honest question. Sarcastic answers not helpful. Many experts in here at kicking someone verbally. 

    I am new thought this was serious helpful community i was wrong won't ever ask another question on this forum about Landlording.  You so called premium jaded self righteous types are more damaging discouraging than my tenants addiction.

    I require renters insurance he has it but doesn't replace or cover dead bodies 

    I also have co2 smoke alarms sprinklers but again dont stop or repair or cover dead body's.

    i had deal with 1st tenant almost dying.  It was traumatic and i wanted to reduce risk of it ever occurring again. Sorry this isnt right community to seek advice. 

     He reported had only 1 mixed drink. 

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeremy A.

    Your question in Maine is like asking:

    How do I screen against Gay people

    How do I screen against Christians

    How do I screen against people born in Mexico 

    How do I screen against African Americans if they apply online.

    If you feel it is the community that responded to you wrong, I suggest you look at what you asked. It is called Fair Housing and discriminating against a person regardless if "They fit in that same box as someone who did something" is not only illegal but considered morally wrong by many. Yes there was some sarcasm, but nobody resorted to calling you the names they would have if you posted the above. Your latest post reads with a whole lot of self righteousness. If you want to provide housing within the rules great. If your intention is to control your tenants lives you are going to get called a whole lot worse than what was here.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jeremy A. Sounds like he brought his 21st bday in properly, why is this a conversation?! Lol

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeremy A. There was plenty of very good advice given here. Only a few posts were sarcastic. You choose to only see the sarcasm and get insulted and lose all the valuable wisdom offerered to you. 

    If this was traumatic, you might want to be honest with yourself about if this is right for you. No one died, so saying it is traumatic for you seems a bit dramatic. Perhaps considering a Property Manager would help a lot. After self-managing for 6 years, I got a PM and am so happy I did!

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Not sure what you are talking about.  This entire Post n mentions should be deleted.  If A Gay Black person  from Mexico  pulls an RV into my Park and we have space and they have money n a Good attiitude  We will rent them a space.  We are in the Biz  to make money  not critique life.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy A.:

    It was serious honest question. Sarcastic answers not helpful. Many experts in here at kicking someone verbally. 

    I am new thought this was serious helpful community i was wrong won't ever ask another question on this forum about Landlording.  You so called premium jaded self righteous types are more damaging discouraging than my tenants addiction.

    I require renters insurance he has it but doesn't replace or cover dead bodies 

    I also have co2 smoke alarms sprinklers but again dont stop or repair or cover dead body's.

    i had deal with 1st tenant almost dying.  It was traumatic and i wanted to reduce risk of it ever occurring again. Sorry this isnt right community to seek advice. 

     He reported had only 1 mixed drink. 

     Over half the responses were thoughtful good advice, including mine. Learn how to filter information and "ignore the haters" as the saying goes. People took their time to help you and instead of saying thanks, you just insult everyone by calling us "jaded self righteous". Learn to focus on the positive.

    I know fires are scary. I had two within one year as a new landlord. These things happen and you need to learn to power through. Take smart precautions, but people do stupid things and accidents happen. 

    I am not even sure you have enough information to know if this tenant even has an alcohol problem or if they just made a stupid mistake with alcohol involved. 

    It is your choice whether you want to use this forum as a resource, but I strongly believe it will help you.

    Regardless of what you do, your post has revealed that you need to get better educated on tenant rights and fair housing. You don't want to end up in legal trouble.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Call the Police to help out on every tour to screen the tenant for alcohol. 

    Every night you call the police to follow you to all your tenants' house to screen for alcohol and if they are drunk while living on your property, you can just start the eviction process right there and then. You have the police with you after all! 

    Sorry guys I had to do it lol :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Justin, TX · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    @Charlie MacPherson so is the above Greg M. breaking the law?

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 145 posts · 158 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Fries:

    @Matt M.

    " Meet me at Wicked Brew tonight at 8:00pm to share some buckwheat & seaweed seasonal pilsner microbrew so I can show you how to make 80k a month and only working 2 hours a day"

    "...now all I need to get you started is that credit card number." 

  • Jacob PhillipsPro Member
    Investor · Mid Missouri · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Jeremy A. I’m sure this has been stated but my gut reply is to tell you that I’m fairly certain alcoholism is considered a disability which is a protected class. Tread lightly!

  • Steve O.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 65 votes
    6y

    @Greg M. I’m a bit confused, you have a rental that people aren’t allowed to drink in? Is this a college town? Please explain

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Take EVERY applicant out for drinks..... start doing shots..... if you pass out before they do, they don't pass the screening....on to the next one ......
  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Provide the tenant with several fire extinguishers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 342 posts · 123 votes
    6y

    A better idea might be to add a safety session to the lease signing process that goes over common safety issues and how to avoid them.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeremy A. You need to get to get up to speed on laws. Alcoholism is considered a disease as is drug addiction. Diseases are medical disabilities. You cannot tell anyone they aren't allowed to have a legal substance like alcohol or prescription drugs in your house.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    6y

    As others have said, it’s not the drinking , it’s the  irresponsible behavior that comes as a result of drinking . That is seen when you screen tenants properly . 
    if they have a pattern of broken agreements, job loss , evictions , 

    debt , criminal justice involvement, etc , could be a sign of substance abuse / alcoholism.

    more important  to look for those red flags than to measure their blood alcohol level 

  • Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 33 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Taylor L Parton:

    Not sure what you are talking about.  This entire Post n mentions should be deleted.  If A Gay Black person  from Mexico  pulls an RV into my Park and we have space and they have money n a Good attiitude  We will rent them a space.  We are in the Biz  to make money  not critique life.

    What if he's a drunk?

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeremy A. For all of you thinking you can screen tenants like this, get ready for your lawsuits. 

    Unless you're running a rehab program that is licensed that's insanity.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    6y

    WHAT?  Only if you want to get in trouble, go ahead.  

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Mike Kostner asks: What if h's a Drunk?  ( LOL)    Its not my Business to Police Peoples Lives,.. that could land me in a Lawsuit. If he pays his rent n doesn't bother anyone,.. and I never see him,.. Who Cares. I dont care if he eats garbage... What he does in his house is HIS Business, and I dont have time to make it mine...and any Professional  Business man wouldn't make it theirs. PAY YOUR RENT PAY YOUR BILLS, Mind your Own Business,.. Love that kind of tenant... I dont have time to Judge others, If you pass a Background Check n have decent Credit, I will give you a chance.  End of Story

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Marci Stein:

    As others have said, it’s not the drinking , it’s the  irresponsible behavior that comes as a result of drinking . That is seen when you screen tenants properly . 
    if they have a pattern of broken agreements, job loss , evictions , 

    debt , criminal justice involvement, etc , could be a sign of substance abuse / alcoholism.

    more important  to look for those red flags than to measure their blood alcohol level 

    So, you did whatever most landlords do (screening, credit score, background check, call-in work company, etc, etc.), and he/she was clean.  So, all blanks checked. Congratulations. now you have an alcoholic party in your rental.  What can you do?  Barely nothing about the alcoholism, but sometimes they act genuine. And I hope they are having a good time.  

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Greg M.

    I'm dead. U kill me. Hahahaha

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Booze Abuse--check out Foster Brooks on YouTube.

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield MO · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Jeremy A.

    Home Owners Insurance, maybe?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.