California Security Deposit

California Security Deposit

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes

Quick question about security deposits in Southern California. When rent is about $2200 -$2400 do you still ask for 1 month’s rent for security deposit? So if their lease begins March 1st do they need to provide let’s say $4400 or do you charge $2200 (1 month ) and give them a couple of months to pay the security deposit? Or should the security deposit be lower? Seems like $4400 is a big number to come up with. Thanks

1Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg ScottPro Member
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

The quickest way to tank a property is offer no-money-down move-in.

Financially responsible tenants know how to budget so they are more likely to have cash on hand.  

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    The quickest way to tank a property is offer no-money-down move-in.

    Financially responsible tenants know how to budget so they are more likely to have cash on hand.  

  • Investor · Canoga Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    @Manuel Encarnacion I have had, and have rentals in Southern California for years and learned the hard way that yes take a month security deposit up front. If they need to make payments on a security deposit that is a sign of trouble down the road. If you have evict at some point or there is damage at least you will have a little money to go towards that. I would recommend you do a thorough job on your tenant screening. I have a checklist and let the prospective tenants know up front what they need to qualify and stick with it.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Greg Scott Thank you very much for your response.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Stacee Evans Thank you very much! Starting out and navigating these waters is not easy lol. Trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you for your insight.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Manuel Encarnacion  You'll definitely want to collect the entire security up front before you ever hand over the keys to the property.  Otherwise, you'll have little to no leverage to collect it once the tenant moves in if they were to decide to stop making payments on it.  

    Also, make sure you only accept cash, money order or a bank cashiers check for everything you collect up front (first month's rent and deposit).  After that, you can collect the subsequent month's rent however your lease allows (personal check, electronic transfer, etc).  But don't accept a personal check for the initial rent/deposit payment.  

    Good luck and welcome to landlording.  :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2017 · 238 posts · 200 votes
    6y

    @Manuel Encarnacion

    Don't get sticker shocked, $4,400 appears to be like a steep cost but think in the scale of the operation. Being in SoCal where the average price of a house is over $500,000, your move in price is peanuts.

    I reserve the unit for the tenant once I receive the security deposit (one months rent). I hand over the keys once I receive the first months rent. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Kyle J. Thank you! This is very good advice. I appreciate your time and advice! Thank you.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Michael Craig This makes total sense. I need to look at the big picture. Thank you very much for your advice!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Kyle J. I have been prepping for quite sometime but it is finally getting closer to becoming a landlord. 😊

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    NEVER EVER EVER leta tenant move in without the full rent AND the deposit being paid in verifiable $$.....no "payment plans"..... no personal checks...... FULL payment in cash, cashier check etc only.... NO EXCEPTIONS...... EVER..... Once they are in, your leverage just dramatically dropped
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Manuel Encarnacion:

    Quick question about security deposits in Southern California. When rent is about $2200 -$2400 do you still ask for 1 month’s rent for security deposit?

    Nope, I ask for 1.5 months rent as security deposit. Good tenants don't complain about this. There are two reasons for this.

    1. Some tenants think it is OK to not pay the last months rent and instead use the security deposit. Even though this is against the law and a clear no-no in the lease, some will still do this. Having that extra 1/2 months rent that can be used to cover the late fees that are accruing is nice.
    2. Even if they pay the last months rent, one month security deposit doesn't go far with fixing damage.  It's nice to have a little extra.

    If someone is paying $2200-$2400 rent, they should be earning $80K-$90K a year. If they have problems coming up with 1.5 months rent for a security deposit, they are probably not tenants that you want to have.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Ned J. Thank you! I will absolutely make sure they do verifiable funds that is a great point. I appreciate your response. Thank you!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Greg M. Thank you Greg! That is great information. I need to look into some tenant screening platforms. I appreciate your time to answer these questions and help clear this up for me. Thank you for your advice much appreciated!

  • Rental Property Investor · Berwick, PA · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Manuel Encarnacion

    Listen or read The book on managing rental properties!! Great book and very helpful.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Get this book, it was my bible working as a property manager in Ca for many years:

    https://store.nolo.com/products/the-california-landlords-law-book-lbrt.html

    I learned the hard way that tenants who ask for any kind of help or favor when they are moving in will be trouble in the future.  In CA and in your market, you don't have to lower your standards.  So, don't.

    The above book is really good and includes all the forms you need in CA.  I studied law and the owner I worked for also had a membership to the CA Apartment Association, but the Nolo books are hands-down much better than the Apt Association's forms and explain the law in a way that's easy to understand.

    I learned that you can be really empathetic to tenants without compromising profits.  Tenants are smart people by and large.  So, they usually know if they are asking for something unreasonable.  

    But, your job is to do your best to never let someone into your properties that will be unreasonable.  If you don't let people get away with unreasonable stuff to begin with, odds are you won't have to deal with that stuff later on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 46 votes
    6y

    @Manuel Encarnacion I have rental in CA and my rent is $2600/m, I require full first month and full $2600 deposit at sign of contract, at most I can wait til before I hand over the keys. No exception.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Jared Shoemaker Thank you just purchased the audio book on Audible! It was on my wishlist but thanks for the advice.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Sue K. Thank you for sharing the info I will place an order on Amazon. That is great information thank you for sharing with me. I appreciate your time.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Kalanie Tran Thank you for your reply that makes me feel better. Do you use a property management company?

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Kyle J. Moneybirders aren't a good idea unless they're ftommpistal service, as they can be counterfeit.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Manuel Encarnacion I've rented various places in Orange County and always paid security deposits with 1st months rent. People there know what rentsxare and expect to pay.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Karen Margrave thank you for sharing that. I’m relatively close to OC. My property is in the San Gabriel Valley.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dana Point, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    Completely agree with Ned on this one.  We run a large number of rentals in LA and OC.  A tenant is never permitted to move in without at least a 1 month deposit (CA permits 2 months max for unfurnished rentals) and that must be provided in the form of a cashier's check (or directly deposited to our accounts via electronic transfer).  In addition, 1st month's rent needs to be paid prior to providing keys.  At time we have held units for move-in with just the deposit - for example prospective tenant provides 1 month deposit 1 week in advance of move in with agreement from the owner, and then provides 1st month rent in exchange for keys just prior to move in.

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
    6y

    I require full months rent and full deposit equal to 1 months rent.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Joaquin K. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will absolutely follow all of the advice given. Great insight thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.