First time filing taxes as a landlord, questions...

First time filing taxes as a landlord, questions...

Rental Property Investor · MI · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 4 votes

Last year I bought my first two rental properties in Michigan. I've been keeping paper receipts in folders all year (gutted and rehabbed them), didn't really have the time earlier to do anything else with them. Now I need to organize it all to give to my tax person. I had a small used car dealership years ago and the taxes seemed much simpler then. I hate everything involved in doing taxes, I gladly pay my CPA to do them for me. To put it bluntly, I want to do as little as I can with all this paperwork/receipts without being burdensome to my CPA. Homes are owned in my personal name and not as an LLC.

I've read somewhere (can't find it now) that expenses should be organized by the categories that the IRS defines. I assume I should at least do this. I also remember reading those categories and not seeing where the cost of tools went, I think there was a sub category for tool rental but not purchase of new tools. Again, from memory. Where can I find those categories? 

What about things I don't have a receipt for, like paying a kid down the street to mow the lawn and shovel snow? Total cost over the year was probably less than $200, in $20 increments. Paid Cash, no receipt. I take it this isn't deductible? 

Do I need to submit expenses broken down by house? Or all combined? If by house, then how to categorize things that apply to both houses like tool purchases or say, an umbrella policy?

Here's a big one... online purchase receipts. I don't want to print all these receipts out from emails. What do I do with all those receipts? Take screenshots and give them to the CPA in a zipfile?

Capital Expenditure questions... I just gutted and rehabbed the entire house before tenant moved in, I assume ALL of that is capex? Of course there are other expenses like pest control, etc but as far as things that would normally be repair/maintenance, like plumbing parts to replace a leaking hot water heater hose, are now capex because they are part of a brand new hot water heater install or a bathroom remodel? It's a bit confusing. Will the tax person know better, and should I leave it to them to categorize which receipts as which expense type? This wouldn't always be obvious though with the cryptic names items are sometimes given on receipts. Hell I don't know what half the items are anymore when I look at the receipts. 

The whole depreciation thing... how/where is all of this stuff being tracked? Is there a form my CPA files that I get back which will tell me how much has been depreciated already and how much I can deduct for depreciation the next year? Seems like a LOT of crap to track... windows, hot water heaters, electrical panel work, bathroom remodel, kitchen remodel, etc. This just seems daunting to me to keep and track some sort of breakdown for each individual thing that needs to be depreciated over time. 

I've been keeping a mileage log for driving since I bought the houses. Every time I drive, I categorize my entry as personal, commute or business. I live 24 miles each way from the homes (they are right next door to each other). 99% of the time when I drive from home to the houses it's for rehab work, at least until I finish the second house. I am under the assumption that the drive from my house to the rental homes is considered a commute and is NOT tax deductible, is this correct? Os it it tax deductible under certain circumstances, say a tenant is locked out and I need to open the door? I know that my drive from the rental homes to Home Depot, etc it's considered business, but that's basically all I've been counting as business... drive from the rental house to anywhere for tools, materials etc. Just wondering what else is considered business. What if I leave from my own house to buy a used washing machine from craigslist, is that business? Is the washing machine a write off if I pay cash for it and get a hand written receipt? 

I just need a little help getting this all going, and making sure I don't piss off my CPA. Also, I'd like to get some sort of system in place to make this suck less next year. It sounds like a lot of extra work scanning receipts and labeling all that stuff digitally though. Does that really save any time from just going through a stack of receipts at the end of the year and adding them all up? 

1Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Eric P.:

Thanks for the reply. If I don't need to give the CPA my receipts, then I can just add everything up and give them a summary? Still have many unanswered questions before I can even prepare all this for the CPA. Used to mail my taxes away to my CPA when they were more basic, but I guess I'll have to find a local CPA and just stop in tomorrow... Just too many questions and don't really want to be spending time hunting down all the answers.

 There are tons of us located across the country who work with clients worldwide. I'd recommend speaking to some of us on the board here such as @Natalie Kolodij or @Jake Hottenrott

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    6y

    I recommend using financial software and handing your CPA a report instead of a bunch of receipts. You need the receipts if the IRS audits you but the CPA does not need the receipts.

    I use Quicken which has got to be the rock bottom most simple software usually only used for personal finances. Two of our rentals are intrinsically tied up in our home which means many of the expenses associated with these rentals are split between personal and the two rental units. Quicken works well for me. All of the expense categories are listed in Quicken. You do have to track the expenses by unit which I do by using a tag for each of our rentals. I don't have to deal with any depreciable items other than to provide our CPA with a report of all the expenses that make up what needs to be depreciated. He figures out what the depreciation expense is each year.

  • Rental Property Investor · MI · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the reply. If I don't need to give the CPA my receipts, then I can just add everything up and give them a summary? Still have many unanswered questions before I can even prepare all this for the CPA. Used to mail my taxes away to my CPA when they were more basic, but I guess I'll have to find a local CPA and just stop in tomorrow... Just too many questions and don't really want to be spending time hunting down all the answers.

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 215 posts · 129 votes
    6y

    @Eric P.

    Sounds like you have a relationship with your current CPA. Why not call them and ask what makes their life easier?

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Mark H.

    Just get ahold of a cpa for all this . That’s what they do .

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Eric P.

    This is something that's going to make you money, so listen to me, please.

    Tax advantages are one of the major reasons to own rental properties.

    Your CPA will hopefully manage to get this return together and not make a pig's ear of it. You will take that first return and study the hell out of it. You will read books and blogs about the tax advantages of owning rentals, and schedule one or more meetings with your CPA to discuss ways to improve your next return.

    Your first return is not going to be particularly complicated, or save you a lot of money. That's always how it is. The NEXT return, on the other hand, will begin to maximize your tax advantages. The year after that will be better still. I was two years into owning rental properties before I started doing mileage, for instance.

    All of these questions you have, they should be directed at your CPA. Stop worrying about "pissing him off." That's why you're paying him, and that's why he exists versus a computer program doing your taxes. If he gets pissed off, screw him and find someone else won't be afraid to work for your money.

    This is going to be a multiyear effort, and you can't get it done all at once. Each LL is different, has their own particular things going on. Build up that business relationship with your CPA. Accept that this is going to take some time. You'll get it done.

  • Investor · Pacific City, OR · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 123 votes
    6y

    I have an Excel workbook for each property.  Each workbook has about six tabs.  The first one is the main sheet that has the address, with income and expenses, both of which are summed from the other tabs.  The other tabs are Rents (shows rent received for the year), Travel, Meals, Repairs and Utilities.  The first tab also has a cell for Insurance, Mortgage interest and Taxes.

    I just load the spreadsheets onto a thumb drive and hand it to my CPA.  My CPA takes care of depreciation.

    Good luck.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Eric P.:

    Thanks for the reply. If I don't need to give the CPA my receipts, then I can just add everything up and give them a summary? Still have many unanswered questions before I can even prepare all this for the CPA. Used to mail my taxes away to my CPA when they were more basic, but I guess I'll have to find a local CPA and just stop in tomorrow... Just too many questions and don't really want to be spending time hunting down all the answers.

     There are tons of us located across the country who work with clients worldwide. I'd recommend speaking to some of us on the board here such as @Natalie Kolodij or @Jake Hottenrott

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Eric P.

    Don't be afraid of the process of having your taxes done. Everyone has to do it.

    Talk with your CPA and have a discussion with him what makes it easier for him.

    You will need to give him a breakdown of the income/expenses per property. 
    If you have expenses that relate to both, create an additional column and indicate as such.

    Your CPA should know how to handle this.

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Eric P. Your CPA is there to make your life easier. If they stress you out then get a new CPA. To make your life easier in the future you should open a separate bank account with its own checks and credit/debit attached to your property. This will make breaking down your expenses much easier for you as money is flowing in and out of a lot of disparate sources

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    6y

    @Eric P. Have you thought about hiring a teenager to sort everything and scan so you have an electronic file and put in your “cost basis” file.? Because every dime prior to your advertising for rent (placed in service) is added to cost basis, not expensed during the year. You need your actual purchase price plus rehab costs added together to come up with a number to start depreciating the property...required. Having a cpa sort it would cost an arm and leg. You do not have to classify rehab expenses. Just what expense was rehab and what expense happened after “placed in service.” Your cpa only needs your cost basis total number, not the receipts. (you need to keep those receipts as long as you hold the property.) And go in Barnes and noble, buy a coffee read a page in one of those big tax books on rentals. Yes, it is about one page of instructions. Or go to the library and photocopy the page.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    6y

    @Marian Smith also, I do not scan anything. I just keep envelopes. But I had to buy another fireproof safe to hold rehab receipts and past year tax files. Small one but bigger than a flash drive. If you buy at Home Depot and set up a credit card they email electronic receipts. A nice service.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    @Carolyn Fuller most CPA are going to want the receipts. They sign their name on your taxes and are going to want to see validation of expenses. We categorize, but my CPA still reviews and sometimes recategorizes.

    @Eric P. first of all, don't worry about offending your CPA. If you give them a big mess, it just means more work and a larger tax bill. Organizing your information is really about keeping your costs down and helping the CPA get the taxes done faster and more accurately.

    Paying anyone in cash and not having receipts is not a legitimate expense. The IRS requires two things to validate payment, proof of payment and invoice/receipt. For example, a check and receipt or credit card statement and receipt. You should limit cash in business, where possible. If you do use cash, make sure you have a receipt.

    Expenses should be separated by property. I write the property address and quick description of purpose on the receipt. I would also separate the receipts by rehabilitation and operating expenses. The expenses for rehabilitation before the property was put in service as a rental are handled differently than after the property is rent ready and advertised. You could do something as simple as handing them four large envelopes.

    Online expenses, you should not be taking a screen capture. Any online vendor has ability to print an invoice or receipt. I print those and include the with the other receipts. Your CPA may accept them digitally, but it may be easier for them to sort through if it is all on paper. They will probably just print whatever you give them digitally.

    Mileage to a rental may be considered commute, unless it is from your office to the job site.

    Depreciation expense is tracked on a depreciation schedule. Your CPA will keep track of it. You don't submit the tracking sheet with your taxes, only the years depreciation. I ask for a copy of the depreciation schedule each year, so I can have it for my records. Whether an item is capitalized or can be pushed as a repair expense is something your CPA will determine. 

    We do actually keep a spreadsheet and track every expense. We categorize according to IRS tax categories. We include a description of expense. We also track mileage. This is provided to our CPA with receipts. He validates and occasionally re-categorizes expenses. All the receipts we give him are sorted by order of date and by property. Our CPA tells us we are one of his most organized customers. He said, half the time he gets a box full of receipts in no order.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
    6y

    @Eric P.

    A bookkeeper organizes all of the income and expenses for you.  

    A tax preparer transfers these reports to the proper IRS forms and calculates your tax liability.  (In my experience, tax preparers are not interested in receipts if they can avoid them...they prefer numbers to put on the forms.)

    A tax strategist advises ways in which you can reduce your tax burden. 

    You are allowed to fill any or all of these of these roles yourself.  It’s clear you don’t want to, so you’ll pay someone to do it.  

    But if you hire a tax strategist to handle your bookkeeping, you are probably over paying for this rather basic service.  Conversely, a bookkeeper isn’t necessarily trained to tell you how to save on taxes; they are trained to create the reports. 

    In reality, one person can do all of this.  He or she can be a CPA, but doesn’t need to be.  

    I’m not making a recommendation here, nor looking to rustle anyone’s feathers by putting these roles in buckets.  But I do wish someone had laid it out for me this way in the beginning.  It would have saved asking the wrong people to do the wrong thing (above or below their pay grade/skill level), which ultimately resulted in some hard parting of ways.  

    Good luck!  At least you are starting early in “the season.”

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 227 votes
    6y

    Honestly for this it would best to consult with your CPA. I think there are a lot of valid points which have been mentioned about potentially summarizing and then retaining receipts in the event that you are audited, but, I'd cut out the guess work of it all and start that conversation with your CPA sooner rather than later. 

  • Rental Property Investor · MI · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the input everyone. Just figured any advice I can get before going in would be helpful. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.