Current tenants like to replace the old appliances in the condo

Current tenants like to replace the old appliances in the condo

Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 5 votes

Hello BP community,

My current tenants would like to replace the appliances I have in my condo. The appliances do work but they are old. She does understand that she agreed on renting the place with current appliances in operable condition so I do not have to replace anything. During a phone conversation, she pointed out that she has new appliances or she is willing to buy new appliances and leave them at the condo when she leaves. She has been back and forth between buying new appliances or she actually does have new appliances, fridge, oven and dishwasher. 

The leased was signed on 11-01-2019, what is the best approach. I do feel bad for her since the appliances are old, but I want to make sure the day she leaves I do have appliances for the next tenants. Do I revise the lease or do I get that from her in writing, is there special forms? Do I need witnesses? 

Any feedback , advise or similar scenario that someone ran into would be appreciated. 

Have a good day.
 

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Great Mills, MD · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 13 votes
6y

Tell the tenant that you must approve of the appliances she wants to put in the unit before they go in. Her appliances may be mismatched in quality/age/brand/color. This may leave you with a less than desirable look if she leaves them behind

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 239 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    If she is willing to pay for them then that's great! Have the conversation in writing and document it in a lease addendum if you feel the need to do so. You don't need witnesses or special forms but you do want to have that in writing. 

  • Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
    6y

    It's good to have her sign something but just because she signs something may not mean anything to her when she leaves. I would expect her to take HER appliances with her when she leaves, even if she signs that she will leave them. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 168 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    Regardless of the scenario, any promises made by either party must be put into writing if the benefitting party wants to reap the benefits.

    Get an addendum signed which specifies what the current leasee will be doing, and what will happen to your old appliances and the new appliances during that period and after the expiration of the lease agreement. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Great Mills, MD · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Tell the tenant that you must approve of the appliances she wants to put in the unit before they go in. Her appliances may be mismatched in quality/age/brand/color. This may leave you with a less than desirable look if she leaves them behind

  • Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thank you all for your replies and your feedback, I really appreciate how each person giving me feedback different but just as valuable and important. Thank you very much. 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I would say no.  My experience with tenants who want to change things, are just going to be a pain in the rear for you for their entire tenancy.  Learned this the hard way.  What this tenant wanted was a luxury apartment at affordable prices, but now still wants the luxury apartment.

    In the meantime, you have to deal with storing the old appliances?  And then just wait until you try to charge them for damages when they leave - what?  But, I left new appliances!

    Just say no.  And offer to let them out of the lease.  That's how I'd handle it.  "I'm really sorry you aren't happy with the place after all, so if you want to move out, I'll let you break the lease with just 30 days notice, but my lawyer and my tax guy says it's a bad idea to switch out appliances.  Sorry.  And when they start trying to argue with you, just repeat the phrase.  I'm really sorry you're not happy with the place as-is, so if you want to move......and my tax guy and my lawyer say it's a bad idea.....sorry.....

    I really learned this the hard way.  Today it's new flooring, tomorrow it's paint, next week it's appliances, then they feel like you owe them special favors if they paid for them out of pocket.  Been there.  Just say no.

  • Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Sue K. thank you for the feedback, I am little concern since from day one she was complaining about a number of things. The fridge ice maker is not working, I will be quite honest the appliances are pretty old. They do work, but they are quite old. So I can see that as an issue, but in the back of my head I am little concern there always be complains. 

    Thanks again for your feedback.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zack Aboona:

    Sue K. thank you for the feedback, I am little concern since from day one she was complaining about a number of things. The fridge ice maker is not working, I will be quite honest the appliances are pretty old. They do work, but they are quite old. So I can see that as an issue, but in the back of my head I am little concern there always be complains. 

    Thanks again for your feedback.

    I think you're a nice person. But, this tenant saw the old appliances when they viewed the apartment.  And, they work.  You can always just fix the ice maker.  And after this tenant moves out, just remove it.

    I learned that when a tenant is viewing an apartment and they ask things like can we add more shelves in the walk-in closet, or darkening curtains because the street light is too bright, or put in hardwood flooring or paint a different color, etc., they will be high-maintenance tenants.  If you start accommodating this type of tenant, it will never stop.  I learned to say, "I'm sorry, but no, we don't do any changes to our units."  If you just state it like it's a hard and fast rule - and believe it and stick to it - then, the high-maintenance applicants will usually screen themselves out.  And be happy they do, because they are not worth the hassle. They will eat up your time and be bad neighbors to other tenants and be rude to contractors like gardeners, etc. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Switching appliances is not hard. Just costs $. Might be a good time since they are old and your place is stabilized with a paying tenant. Here are some ways to do it if the tenant wants to and you are ok with it:

    a) split the cost with tenant 50/50

    b) increase rent $x/month so that your investment in the new appliances is paid off after y years.

    c) a combination of strategies a and b.

    Tip: The new fridge should not have an ice maker or water hookup of any kind.

    Another tip: Big box stores always have a sale and offer 5% off credit card. They also handle delivery, haul away, and hookup of the new appliances. Easy to order online and put the tenants name and number in the order details for scheduling.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    This is a good deal for you but make sure you get it in writing! A simple hand-written note at the end of the lease will suffice as long as all parties sign it.

    Landlord hereby authorizes tenant to replace appliances at Tenant cost. Tenant understands Landlord must first approve of the appliance and that the appliance becomes property of the Landlord after installation and will remain with the property after lease termination.

    I personally recommend taking pictures of the appliances and their serial number tags as soon as they are installed. This prevents the tenant from pulling a swap when they move.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Perfect, thank you  Max T. for the tips and Nathan G for write up. Very helpful, thank you guys.

     

  • David MartinPro Member
    Cypress, TX · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    @Zack Aboona It's pretty common here in Houston area for apartments to do a small lease arbitrage for units that have washer dryer hookups. So they lease-to-own for, let's say, $25 a month, a full washer and dryer set, and then turn around and make a lease addendum for the apartment for an appliance rental, where the tenant is paying something like $40 per month to use the appliances. This would allow you to sort out the need with the current tenant, and still have ownership of the items. If this prompts the tenant to want to stay longer, then they will effectively have paid for the unit over time, and you'll have an upgraded space for the future tenants that should demand a little more rent. If this tenant bails too soon, you have the optionality to wrap the cost in to the next tenants rent, or end the lease and re-install your old equipment. On your lease renewal, simplify the arrangement and just add that cost to base rent if desired.

    It's effectively really similar in structure to most real estate deals... leverage credit to obtain something, and then charge more for it's use than it costs to obtain it, set aside a percentage for repairs and maintenance, and pocket the net.

  • Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed just wanted to say you were absolutely correct, the tenants as it turned was lying about having her new appliances. So we did not change anything since they do work , but it has been a pain since she has been complaining about every single thing she can complain about! And she is usually late on her payment, somehow she can not set up auto pay so I have to go in person and pick up the rent 3-4 days late.  My new course of action is what you said at the first respond and I a hoping she would leave but I do not think that will be the case.

    Either way, my first time experience being the landlord been challenging, trying to stay positive and take my lessons learned to the next tenants (she did mention the appliance were old when she saw the condo, that should been red flag for me and moved on to the next). 

  • Rental Property Investor · n/a · Member since 2019 · 143 posts · 117 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zack Aboona:

    @Account Closed just wanted to say you were absolutely correct, the tenants as it turned was lying about having her new appliances. So we did not change anything since they do work , but it has been a pain since she has been complaining about every single thing she can complain about! And she is usually late on her payment, somehow she can not set up auto pay so I have to go in person and pick up the rent 3-4 days late.  My new course of action is what you said at the first respond and I a hoping she would leave but I do not think that will be the case.

    Either way, my first time experience being the landlord been challenging, trying to stay positive and take my lessons learned to the next tenants (she did mention the appliance were old when she saw the condo, that should been red flag for me and moved on to the next). 


     Hey Zack.  I think this is behavior you have to nip in the butt right away before it gets out of hand.  You shouldn't be driving to your unit to pick up rent.  Your tenant is training you, and it should be the other way around.  Find a way to make auto pay work or try another service.  There is also Zelle, Venmo, Apple Pay, etc.  Best of luck.

  • Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Brett B. for your reply and feedback, I agree ! I tried to be firm, I tried to understand, I did good cop bad cop with my wife. But this tenants has so many issues and there is so much drama. Going to ER every other week (according to her), health issues, personal issues ....etc. She is late on her payment this month , she actually never paid on time. 

    My plan is try to get her out, first by approaching her, than maybe I need to get a lawyer. She is just a bad bad tenants !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.