Would you allow pets in a new built never occupied Duplex?

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 837 votes
6y

As a general rule, I don't allow pets at all, no matter how long I have owned the rental. In the 30+ years I have been landlording, I have never had a longer-than normal turnover vacancy because I don't allow pets.  But you probably need to consider each applicant's pet request on a case-by-case basis and abide by whatever constraints your rental dwelling insurance policy includes on type of pet, breed, weight, etc. Also, some condo associations don't allow pets in rental units.  I have condos in two separate complexes that have a no-pet rule for renters.  

i do currently have a long term tenant (twelve years, Section 8 for the past seven) who lost her husband some time ago.  A couple years after his death, she asked for permission to get a small dog.  This is a long term tenant, always on time with the rent, and takes care of the property.  I will probably have this tenant for the rest of her life.  I did grant permission for her to have a pet.  My property manager added a pet addendum to the lease.  Again, you can have a blanket rule but still make exceptions on a case-by-case basis.

See this reply in the discussion

48 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Brandon McMullin

    Meeting the pet that’s smart,

  • Specialist · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Marcus Auerbach

    Thanks, I like your approach on interviewing the pet

  • Specialist · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Nathan G.

    Thanks, food for thought

  • Specialist · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Ola Dantis

    Thanks, would the pet fee be sufficient to cover all and any damage done?

  • Specialist · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Michael Noto

    Thanks

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    My properties are no pets. I’ve worked on/in way to many houses that stunk. I’ve had to tear up subfloors, replace drywall, etc etc. $30/ month extra doesn’t make it worth it to me. And since I don’t have or like dogs, their smell hits me as soon as I walk into a house. So the next guy that wants to rent that house that isn’t a dog person either will pass.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I own all new construction...  i decided that I wanted to be competitive.  So I allow pets. I get a good deposit (500) and meet the animal before approving it. Have I had to replace flooring ? Yes.  But the tenant paid for it. 

    I guess i feel that they would sneak pets in if i didnt allow them so i just get the deposit and 95% of the time there is no issue. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I want to add that I dont currently charge pet rent, altho a building I am buying does so we shall see what I do. 

    I also dont do a fee. I do a pet deposit. I want the tenant to know they get their money back if no damage. I feel that tenants will think the fee money is already gone so wont work as hard to keep damage down. 

    And finally, see what other local landlords do. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Nazeam Joseph

    If you haven’t yet, read @Nathan G. post.

    I couldn’t add anything more that would be pertinent.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cottage Grove, WI · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Nazeam Joseph

    The only way we allow pets is if we buy the building and “inherit” them. Most of the time we reno the apartments when the tenants move out then we don’t allow pets back in. If we have to much on our plate and can’t do the reno we may put a pet back into a unit. I am wondering if I should change my view point on this, I have heard you turn a one year tenant into a 3 to 4 year tenant. More importantly how did you get a new duplex to cash flow?!?!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 474 posts · 580 votes
    6y

    @Nazeam Joseph I do allow pets in all of my buildings, for a few reasons.

    1. It obviously adds extra income. I require a move in pet fee per pet, usually $100.00 per pet, plus $20/mo per pet, this is lower than most in my market so tenants are happy to pay it. I only allow cats and dogs under 40lbs up to a max of 3 total, this helps keep out large or potentially vicious breeds and crazy cat ladies.

    2. It helps bring in great tenants who are more likely to stay, anyone who is obsessed with their dog or cat will not move somewhere they cannot have it, I have a great tenant base that makes great incomes, without allowing pets many of these great tenants would not have applied. 

    3. Tenants who want pets will often get one regardless, and then they are lying, hiding pets, saying they are just pet sitting, they are banking on you not being around enough to catch them, or other tenants keeping quiet. This now creates a situation where your relationship with the tenant become adversarial, and you get zero income from the pet anyway. Are you really going to waste the time to put up cameras on a tenants door, or camp out waiting to catch them with a pet, just to have an eviction that cost you money anyway if they did violate the lease? This might be possible with a couple doors, but if you scale up it wont work. 

    4. I go into my business plan knowing there will be pets, I tenant proof all of my units, with tile in all wet areas, and waterproof vinyl in living areas. Therefore, pet stains are usually cleanable if they happen, I have zero carpet anywhere for this reason. Also, I still have deposits that will cover some or all damages if the tenants do not take care of the property. I have found that bad tenants will damage a property regardless of the pet situation. Good tenants take care of their pets/apartments.

    5.  In all matters I try to treat the tenant the way I would want to be treated. I am not a pet person but if I was it would be a deal breaker for me to rent somewhere. I give people the benefit of the doubt with security measures in mind to mitigate the risk, and if they screw me, then I will do everything I can to be made whole. So far, I have had zero issues with pets. 

    Good luck! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 474 posts · 580 votes
    6y

    @Dave Toelkes I would be very cautious doing anything on a case by case basis. At least here in South West Ohio, if you allow one tenant to do something and not another, for any reasons, it can easily be argued for discrimination of whatever kind they want to claim. For me, blanket policy with strict written guidelines is the safest way to operate. 

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matt M.:

    My properties are no pets. I’ve worked on/in way to many houses that stunk. I’ve had to tear up subfloors, replace drywall, etc etc. $30/ month extra doesn’t make it worth it to me. And since I don’t have or like dogs, their smell hits me as soon as I walk into a house. So the next guy that wants to rent that house that isn’t a dog person either will pass.

    Here is what I believe: it's not the pet, it's the owner's fault. 

    How many nice homes have you been to that had pets and you couldn't smell anything? Most of my neighbors have dogs, I used to have 2 dogs, I have dealt with it, non of these houses smell, let alone having to rip up flooring! 

    If the owner/tenant is a pig, the house will stink, pet or no pet. 

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Marcus Auerbach

    Absolutely, floors will not need to be ripped up if the owners/tenants don’t allow their pet to go to the bathroom on the floor. 
    since I am not a dog person, I can smell dogs. People that live with dogs and are used to the smell, won’t smell it. Personally I would not rent a house that smelled of dog, they have an odor. My mother in law has 2 ankle biters. She’s meticulously clean and loves her dogs probably more than people. But when I walk into her house that’s all I smell. As much as it may hurt me to not accept pets, I don’t want my houses smelling like one. 
    I take care of 35 properties for clients. All accept pets, and to me, they all have a  smell, even after I have the carpets professionally cleaned, Not necessarily urine, but just dog smell in general. And we never have a hard time renting to another dog owner, but have had “no thanks” from non pet people. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    6y

    @Nazeam Joseph Yes.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    @Nazeam Joseph the standard lease I see investors use allows a pet rent or deposit!

  • Ricardo R.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 661 posts · 581 votes
    6y

    Most renter's do have pets... again not half... most. You can certainly choose not to allow pets but just go into it knowing that your applicant pool will be cut down drastically and you may see increased vacancy between tenants. As far as making a decision on a 'case-by-case'... yeah that can land you in big trouble, it's too subjective - of course non-service animals - pets - are not a protected class and that is not the issue with 'case-by-case' the issue is individual discrimination which is much different than listing as 'size and breed dependent' the former will be considered discrimination and but not the latter because the latter makes it clear that you're reserving the right to approve or deny pets based on size and breed (which is completely within your right) and not possible 'inferred' biases which is against fair housing. You have to apply the criteria consistently to all applicants for that property - so even if your size and breed restriction limits pets to 20lbs. BUT you have been turning away applicants with pets over the weight limit and then decide that it's not working and decide to rent to an applicant with a 35lb. pet --- that's discrimination because although the criteria is NOT discriminatory, the way it was carried out inconsistently IS. 

    With that said, I agree with some here that the damage a pet can do can outweigh any fees you receive to allow pets but, you just have to mitigate your risks. Collect a pet FEE NOT a pet DEPOSIT - a fee is non-refundable but a deposit is and although some may be trying to 'help' the tenant by refunding the deposit if no damage occurs a DEPOSIT is illegal is some states if you are already charging the maximum security deposit however a fee is not. Additionally a pet DEPOSIT can come back to bite you if there are pet damages, a court could limit your pet damages to the pet deposit (since that is its purpose) and require you to return the security deposit. 

    Size and breed dependent, no viscous breeds, increased security deposit, a pet administration fee and possible additional pet rent added onto the base rent would be your best bet at mitigating your risks while keeping your applicant pool open. 

     

  • Real Estate Broker · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 196 posts · 191 votes
    6y

    @Nazeam Joseph I would, a pet fee is a great way for extra income.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Not allowing pets will cause you to have less tenant prospects.  Let them have pets, just charge extra, or a pet security deposit.   Most of the damages to my places have been from humans, not pets.

  • Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I know this not your exact situation, but just letting you know what can happen and if you were going to sell later. I know I have looked at properties and the current owner had cats. Well, the cats peed on the floor. Not only was the stench nauseating but in order to get that smell out, you have to rip out the floors and treat the underlayment (yes even if it is cement) AND treat the walls with a special primer to kill the molecules and smell, then paint that. If I was you, I would protect my investment and not allow pets in a never occupied duplex. It is not mean. It is not you not caring about animals. It is you protecting your hard earned investment for the long run. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Nazeam Joseph probably not but if I did, I would charge a non-refundable pet deposit and monthly pet fee. 

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    In my experience, pigs stink, no matter the owner. Horses stashed in the basement are also a problem.

    And yes, have had both and numerous other hidden pets when there were no-pets policy in place for parents. Now I just charge them and I end up with tenants that care enough about their pets to pay extra to keep them and (so far), take better care of the rental, as a result.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Nazeam Joseph no problem hope it helps you going forward

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.