Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
Hey BP folks,
Hope everyone is doing well considering this whole COVID-19 issue the World is currently experiencing. Stay safe and keep up the good hygiene!
Even though this virus is going around, I am still focusing on my goals, so I'd like your insight/experience on this question. Should I have carpet installed over hardwood floors in my SFH, or is this a bad idea? I own a two story SFH in the Bay Area and the upper level is all original hardwood. I currently have a tenant residing in the lower lever, and am considering getting carpet in the rooms above the tenant to deaden the sound (footsteps, loud noises, etc.)
Would you recommend carpeting over the hardwood? Why or why not?
If yes, could you share any insight on the to best approach on this? Is there a certain low maintenance type of carpet I should be considering, extra padding, a way to preserve the hardwood, etc.?
Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
6y
@Jay Maranan
Never do carpet in a rental, you would have to replace it every couple years when tenant leaves. I only do vinyl tile because it’s cheap, easy to maintain and very durable. But in your case I would just leave the hardwood floors as-is
Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
I usually don't use much carpet but in this case, it sounds like a good option. However, if you have hardwoods, I wouldn't think stapling down padding would be a good thing. Maybe us a commercial type carpet that you can loose lay. ie, not glued down and not over padding. Another option would be a very large area rug to cover most of the floor.
@John Teachout thanks for the feedback. I’ll look at the padded carpet (stapled) vs the area rug and see what works best. Thanks again!
No staples. Sorry if that wasn't clear. When installing carpet, typically the padding is stapled in hundreds of places to hold it in position. I was suggesting to avoid that. (because of damage it would do to the wood floor in case you ever wanted to expose it again.)
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
6y
No way. Before I did that I would have blown insulation put into the cavity between the upstairs & downstairs. It would be cheaper and leave the more desirable floors in place. Most people who rent a unit with all hardwood floors bring their own area rugs anyway, which should deaden most of the most obnoxious pounding.
Carpets in rentals sucks. I think we have one unit that still has any remnant of carpet in it, and when it comes vacant it's gone. Hardwood, vinyl plank, and tile for the win all day long (depending on the room)!
Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
6y
@Jay Maranan
Never do carpet in a rental, you would have to replace it every couple years when tenant leaves. I only do vinyl tile because it’s cheap, easy to maintain and very durable. But in your case I would just leave the hardwood floors as-is
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Require the upper unit to have x % of the floor covered in area rugs. You could even provide padding and a simple area rug. If the wood floor is nice I would not do wall to wall carpet.
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
6y
@JD Martin Thanks for your input! I do love the hardwood floor and the floor throughout the house is still beautiful and that’s why I’m on the fence with covering it. Thanks again!
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Rod Hanks thanks for your feedback! My tenant agreement does state that if the rents has hardwood floors that 80% of the floor must be covered with carpets/rugs so I may consider leaving the floor as is. Thanks again!
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Colleen F. thank you and I just read over the rental agreement I have and it states that if the unit is hardwood that 80% of the rental has to be covered with carpets/rugs, so I may just leave the floor as-is. Just concerned with the noise above the lower unit. Thanks again!
Hope everyone is doing well considering this whole COVID-19 issue the World is currently experiencing. Stay safe and keep up the good hygiene!
Even though this virus is going around, I am still focusing on my goals, so I'd like your insight/experience on this question. Should I have carpet installed over hardwood floors in my SFH, or is this a bad idea? I own a two story SFH in the Bay Area and the upper level is all original hardwood. I currently have a tenant residing in the lower lever, and am considering getting carpet in the rooms above the tenant to deaden the sound (footsteps, loud noises, etc.)
Would you recommend carpeting over the hardwood? Why or why not?
If yes, could you share any insight on the to best approach on this? Is there a certain low maintenance type of carpet I should be considering, extra padding, a way to preserve the hardwood, etc.?
Pleas share your thoughts on this...
Thanks!!
Hardwood, or a reasonable facsimile, always, to get the most rent. Tenants hate carpet and will pay a premium for anything decent that resembles hardwood. It's way easier to keep clean.
As I look for property to buy, there's no way I'm going to buy a property and pay a premium for a flip where they installed a bunch of light colored carpet for a rental. Puleeeez. I suppose there are idiots out there, but come on.
Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2020 · 81 posts · 312 votes
6y
@Jay Maranan I wouldn't recommend either. Carpet although better for sound dampening... gets put through the ringer, looks unattractive, will look dirty after a few tenants even if cleaned. Wood is not waterproof, will warp if water penetrates, and is expensive and no one really cares that it's wood, they just want the look. Consider luxury vinyl plank flooring with special attention to the under-matting for sound. It's relatively cost effective between carpet and wood. It's water proof, tenant proof and looks updated.
Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 293 posts · 383 votes
6y
@Jay Maranan I do hardwood in houses, carpet in bedrooms apartments only. Carpet in apartments just so the tenant has some peace and enjoyment in their bedroom. I prefer hardwood because it’s in style and looks better.
Never do carpet in a rental, you would have to replace it every couple years when tenant leaves. I only do vinyl tile because it’s cheap, easy to maintain and very durable. But in your case I would just leave the hardwood floors as-is
I disagree.
For 2nd/3rd floor, carpet is fine. Yes you might have to replace it every couple of years, But you might have to replace vinyl tile, laminate, and hardwood as well. I've seen every floor ruined by tenants. Especially LVP/Laminate.
I own units with all of the above. I do carpet on the 2nd floor bedrooms at times when i don't have cheap LVP for under $1/SF. If i have hardwood, i just refinish them.
If you already have hardwood though, I would keep it. It is the most desirable flooring by tenants in most areas.
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Martin Neal thanks! I 100% agree with you on the hardwood. Looks and feels better overall! Since the property is a SFH I'll probably stay with the hardwood. Thanks again for sharing your insight!
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
6y
@Syed H. thanks for the feedback! Hardwood definitely is desirable in my area as well! Was hoping to find a low maintenance way to deaden sound, and after all these responses, I’ve already started looking into padding and large area rugs. Thanks!
@Sue K. thanks for the insight! I’m leaning towards keeping the hardwood floor and maybe getting an area rug.
Let your tenants get their own rugs. They'll inevitably want something different than your idea of what tenants will like. Then, there also aren't any issues about owing you money for damage to it, either.
For the love of RE investing...for goodness sake....NO CARPET
Everyone already said why...but in case anybody needs a reminder....the number one return on investment for upgrades of rentals is wood floors or faux wood floors!
Even asking this question, has totally triggered me and will require multiple hours of focused meditating to recover!
ALSO...I would rather put down a layer of subfloor over the existing wood floor and then, sound absorbing dense underlay foam, and then new vinyl or laminate floating floor(faux wood) floors..than mess around with any BS carpet.
In case I haven't been clear enough about my opinion....NO CARPET!