Carpet for rental unit? Yes? No?

Carpet for rental unit? Yes? No?

Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes

Hey BP folks,

Hope everyone is doing well considering this whole COVID-19 issue the World is currently experiencing. Stay safe and keep up the good hygiene!

Even though this virus is going around, I am still focusing on my goals, so I'd like your insight/experience on this question. Should I have carpet installed over hardwood floors in my SFH, or is this a bad idea? I own a two story SFH in the Bay Area and the upper level is all original hardwood. I currently have a tenant residing in the lower lever, and am considering getting carpet in the rooms above the tenant to deaden the sound (footsteps, loud noises, etc.)

Would you recommend carpeting over the hardwood? Why or why not?

If yes, could you share any insight on the to best approach on this? Is there a certain low maintenance type of carpet I should be considering, extra padding, a way to preserve the hardwood, etc.?

Pleas share your thoughts on this...

Thanks!!

0Reply
292 views

Most Popular Reply

Rod HanksBusiness Member
Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
6y

@Jay Maranan

Never do carpet in a rental, you would have to replace it every couple years when tenant leaves. I only do vinyl tile because it’s cheap, easy to maintain and very durable. But in your case I would just leave the hardwood floors as-is

Rod Hanks Insurance4.9155 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

74 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Sue K. Great points! Thanks for the tips!

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    6y

    In the bay area you want the best hardwood floors is a deal maker .

    Carpet is for cheaper rent areas .

  • General Contractor · Palm Desert, CA · Member since 2016 · 193 posts · 79 votes
    6y

    Vinal plank, no carpet anywhere. If tenants want carpet, tell them to get some throw rugs

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    6y

    @Jay Maranan the only place I consider carpet in my rentals is in the bedrooms. Even then it is rare. Stick with the hardwood.

  • Member since 2020 · 137 posts · 158 votes
    6y

    I’m thinking LVP throughout on my next project. I don’t have any long term experience with it, but hoping that’s the right decision. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2019 · 122 posts · 150 votes
    6y

    @Jay Maranan

    In this instance it won't help much with noise. Creaky old rentals are just what they are.

    Loud, and old, and usually poorly insulated.

    Just rent to small people upstairs.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I have close to eliminated carpet in my rentals.  It isn't a durable material.  Hardwood floors is.   

    During a rehab, a put insulation in a ceiling so the noise from hardwood floors would be muted.  

  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    6y

    @Jay Maranan I would leave the hardwood floors. They are much more durable and will require less maintenance.

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.855 Reviews
  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Jay Maranan    As JD Martin said..............."

    "Hardwood, vinyl plank, and tile for the win all day long (depending on the room)!"





  • Cory WallacePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2020 · 53 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    @Jay Maranan I am not a fan of carpet as you have to replace it frequently. You have better options.

  • Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 2 votes
    6y

    @Jay Maranan

    Have you thought about attacking the problem from the other side?

    The Home Renovision DIY Channel on YouTube has some interesting Videos on sound reduction.

    Basically he advises putting a second thick layer of drywall on the ceiling with some special acoustic sealant in between. Not sure what the cost per square foot would be by the time you got all the texture, paint etc. done.

    Maybe worth looking into.

    https://youtu.be/GLjhrXFo0Kw

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Isaac S. Thanks for your input!!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Angelo Mart that makes sense! That was my original thought and intention. I guess I should have been more clear on that! Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Billy Smith sounds like I would potentially be setting up myself for lower rent if I went with carpet. Thanks for the input!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Michael Evans thanks for the feedback!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Michael Evans I plan to ask the tenants to get area rugs. Thanks again!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Dave E. thanks! That was my initial thought! Carpet in the bedrooms only since the room are directly above the current tenant. But since the hardwood looks nice I’m probably going to have the new tenants get their own area rugs especially after all the responses to my post. Thanks again!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @James York I have LVP now and it looks nice, and my tenant loves the look. So for so good for me. Good luck on your renovation!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Larkin Adey thanks and I’ll keep this in mind when vetting my next tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Brian Ploszay thanks for your insight. I had the contractor insulate the ceiling of the lower unit as much as possible, but the noise (walking, moving things around, etc.) on the hardwood above still seems to travel. I do like the hardwood so I’m more than likely going to stick with it! Thanks again!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Stephen Keighery thanks! I was looking to keep things low maintenance so I’m going to stick with the hardwood!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Brian Garlington thanks for you feedback!!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Cory Wallace thanks! I’m thinking of having the new tenants get their own area rug vs getting carpet after all the responses on this topic. Thanks again for your input!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Kenneth Cole thanks for the info! I will check out the link and keep that in mind for when/if the tenant moves out. I’ll consider adding an extra layer between tenants. Thanks again!

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    vinyl flooring.  Easy to clean, easy to install, very appealing to the eye.  For under $3 sq ft you can get 22mm wear layer products that are water proof and have life time warranty residential. Most big box stores sell similar products (not as good), find a distributor to buy from.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.