Rent Strike Will Become Psychological Nemesis

Rent Strike Will Become Psychological Nemesis

Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes

I’ve read a few articles reporting that the idea of Rent Strike(s) is gaining momentum. Apparently, advocates have moved past a request seeking deferred payments, or other options, to simply demanding that rent be waived altogether.

My concern is that regardless of whatever is offered in an attempt to explain that LLs have obligations as well, emotions are going to feed this issue and automatic unchallenged waivers of rent will be demanded by tenants on a massive national scale.

In other words, the logic used to counter the argument will not be tolerated.  It will become an emotion-fed entrenched position by tenants.  

1Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

This is a common response from someone that is controlled by emotion. You made that statement without first attempting to learn about me. I did grow up poor. My dad died when I was six, raised by a single mom on government cheese, powdered milk, and most of my clothes were hand-me-downs and garage sale finds. I started working in the fields at age 12, right next to illegal immigrants, so I could afford school supplies. All my family grew up in trailers. I thought college and skiing was only for rich kids and never imagined I could be better. I lived paycheck-to-paycheck. I racked up credit card debt. In other words, I knew poverty, embraced it as my reality, and continued making decisions that ensured I stayed there. One day I looked around and realized I wasn't being held down by society or rich people or my circumstances; I was held captive by limiting beliefs and poor choices.

Government handouts have nothing to do with the topic. Two wrongs don't make a right.

A large number of (mostly) low-income wage earners are demanding free rent even though they are likely to make more money, not less, due to the COVID pandemic. If that offends you, feel free to open your rentals up to some low-income people, give them a few months of free rent, and how that ends for you.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    This is a common response from someone that is controlled by emotion. You made that statement without first attempting to learn about me. I did grow up poor. My dad died when I was six, raised by a single mom on government cheese, powdered milk, and most of my clothes were hand-me-downs and garage sale finds. I started working in the fields at age 12, right next to illegal immigrants, so I could afford school supplies. All my family grew up in trailers. I thought college and skiing was only for rich kids and never imagined I could be better. I lived paycheck-to-paycheck. I racked up credit card debt. In other words, I knew poverty, embraced it as my reality, and continued making decisions that ensured I stayed there. One day I looked around and realized I wasn't being held down by society or rich people or my circumstances; I was held captive by limiting beliefs and poor choices.

    Government handouts have nothing to do with the topic. Two wrongs don't make a right.

    A large number of (mostly) low-income wage earners are demanding free rent even though they are likely to make more money, not less, due to the COVID pandemic. If that offends you, feel free to open your rentals up to some low-income people, give them a few months of free rent, and how that ends for you.

     Spooky. Not only was it just me and my mom when I was a kid, but I also lived on powered milK and government cheese

    and not only that, but my name came from a trip my mom made to Cody Wyoming when she was pregnant 


    spooooooky

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:

    and not only that, but my name came from a trip my mom made to Cody Wyoming when she was pregnant 

    spooooooky

    If you want to visit, give me a holler!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Hmm, I don't know where to start.  First I agree, the cheese was wonderful, but the powdered milk was horrible.  I agree the victim mentality that drives the rent strike is what keeps most of these folks down.  They are the ones wanting free health care, free college, free rent, free food, free phones, government programs to pay utilities, etc.  Wyoming usually has really good employment.  We are being hurt right now, but usually it is good.  There are slums in many of the bigger cities where employment is horrible and a lot poor folks are trapped.  Wyoming believe it or not has some slums.  Look at the Indian reservations.  There are some really smart enterprising folks who are making a go of it and are getting ahead on the reservations.  They are keeping their heritage and improving their lot and their children's.  There are also those stuck in their victim mentality.  They live in free housing and live for parties and free handouts.  Many can barely read or write.  I have seen beautiful houses reduced to wrecks in only a few years with folks tearing out the inside wood to burn in the wood stove, cutting a hole in the bathroom wall so the horse could drink out of the bathtub, (in fairness he was drunk when he did it), piles of empty booze bottles almost as high as the junk cars.  Something for nothing never works.  You can never expect someone else to be in charge of making your life good.  We have more opportunities in this country to get ahead than in nearly any other country.  Yet many dwell on what they don't have.  Having a corporation make a lot of money is not an excuse to take money from another person unless they cannot get a job or food to feed their family.  Desperate people will do horrible things, but lazy people will too.  At least the slums on the reservations are owned by the tribes.  They work really hard at keeping the housing nice, it has improved a LOT since I lived there in the early 1960s.  You want real slums to form around you now?  Just quit paying rent.  Landlords will quit fixing broken windows, and furnaces, and replacing broken doors long before they quit paying the mortgage.  Instant slum if enough folks do it.  It is the culture and mindset that has to change to get ahead.  I have worked with some truly useless indians on jobs that had a quota of indians required to be on it, I have also also worked with some dam good workers who were indians that were getting ahead.  Most but not all of them had left the Reservation for awhile and had to learn to get by without handouts.  End results they saw the cycle of victim mentality and were able to break it.  I had some really good friends on the reservation growing up.  The change in mentality as they grew up is startling.  Some kept the victim mentality, some did not.  Still it takes a catalyst to cause change.  I don't want to see anyone suffer, but the really tough folks who survive and proper had to suffer to toughen up.  I think our nation and its people will toughen up and surprise a lot of folks who see us as the soft spoiled americans, but we can surprise ourselves.  We will also have the rent strike folks who will never learn and stay trapped in the victim mentality, and there will be rich folks who will support them and say poor thing, it's not your fault.  Until you have to work for it, and earn it and toughen up a free handout seems pretty good.  The rent strike folks may learn, but may end up being bigger losers than they are now, but the tough ones will find a way to prosper, like many of the small landlords who started with nothing.  While I came from very modest means I was also blessed to be taught to have a strong work ethic that has served me well.  I was always told that I could do better for myself and make it.
    No one has the right to get money from someone else or to expect the government to make it all better.  The government is trying to keep folks from dying.  We will all suffer from this shutdown, but we still have a huge safety net our parents and grandparents never had.  We need less whining and more working.  They have to lift some restriction in order for folks to get back to working, but the majority have unemployment and stimulus money.  It's after this shutdown ends that we separate the wheat from the chaff as my father calls it.  
    I am not attacking anyone, and this may be offensive to some folks, but it is my observations.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.