LakeWood , CA Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 268 posts Ā· 331 votes
Ladies and Gentlemen, Let me be the first to honestly say, I think we are all screwedš¤·š½āāļø . Yes, Most of us in California did recover Most of April rent. May is going to be questionable. And June well... Letās just say Letās not go there just yet. Anyone care to discuss this outcome?? Iām sure thereās going to be alot of states to follow this decision
Rental Property Investor Ā· Lawrence, MA Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 252 posts Ā· 153 votes
6y
Hi Ricardo,
I agree with you that we are going to get screwed. I do know one thing that we will have to do, and is wait until all this ends. We can have our lives back to normal. We are all in this together, and we will get out of this together. This goes out to all of our BP family.... Stay strong, we will get through this and to any family that has doctors, nurses, firefighters working, my heart goes to you and thank you for what you do everyday! Take care and stay safe Ricardo!
Rental Property Investor Ā· Lawrence, MA Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 252 posts Ā· 153 votes
6y
Hi Ricardo,
I agree with you that we are going to get screwed. I do know one thing that we will have to do, and is wait until all this ends. We can have our lives back to normal. We are all in this together, and we will get out of this together. This goes out to all of our BP family.... Stay strong, we will get through this and to any family that has doctors, nurses, firefighters working, my heart goes to you and thank you for what you do everyday! Take care and stay safe Ricardo!
LakeWood , CA Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 268 posts Ā· 331 votes
6y
@Sandy Gabin I appreciate all the kind and hopeful words. I wish I was very optimistic about this situation as you are. But me, Iām taking everything very personal right now. I donāt see a resolution anytime soon. The government is very quick to assume a āSpikeā in outbreaks. But how can you assume a āSpikeā and not assume a solution, a vaccine, a DATE when all this will be over. Iām not just here to look after myself or my investments. Iām looking out for the mom and pop shop down the street or the mom and pop dry cleaners around the corner. This is a shame. We have ONE of the richest countries in the world. We also have the best schools known to man kind but we canāt seem to find a cure to The Fluās Big cousin Covid 19. WE HAVE MONEY TO FUND HISTORICAL WARS. BUT WE DONT HAVE MONEY TO FEED OUR POOR. Iām sorry if anyone gets offended by my post. Iām really loosing hope in our supreme leaders. Itās sad because WE all vote to put them in those positions. And look at where we are now. They are giving it to us good!
GOVERNMENT IS QUICK TO ASK FOR THEIR PROPERTY TAX. What about our rent?
In NYC we berry left our apartments in a month. On my LinkedIn I posted 10 pictures of all local business closed up. I can look down 5th ave and not see a person or car for miles. I think there is a bigger motive behind this, but I guess thatās a conversation for another day. I think society has to think for them selfās and not be so easy manipulated. Anyway, to stay on topic all small businesses are getting absolutely crushed here. Google says there āopen for take outā its all a lie. EVERYTHING is closed. The city closed the dog parks. I am considering moving into a rental lol.
San Jose, CA Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 4k+ posts Ā· 3k+ votes
6y
My friend in Solano County, CA (SF Bay Area) just got informed today that her two kids (10 & 12) schools are out for the rest of the year. In Santa Clara County, our shelter in place is through May 3rd as of now.
Investor Ā· Napa, CA Ā· Member since 2016 Ā· 95 posts Ā· 62 votes
6y
San Bernadino and Riverside just announced they are allowing Easter Services at churches this weekend. I think folks are getting fed up with this. Also, Alabama is now saying they plan to reopen on April 17th. It's time to get people back to work
Rental Property Investor Ā· TN Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 2k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
6y
In TN where I live, the kids have their school work on the TV local channels, part has to be recorded because its in the middle of the night, but they do have 4 hours during the daytime hours live. That will likely continue this year. Schools seem to be done for this year.
Virus testing at the drive up County Health Department site is now totally free, and open to anyone. They have tested close to 5000 folks with 39 positives.
Stores have now put up barriers so one can not buy "non-essential" stuff, which apparently is any clothing, and basic things like car seats. So for me, with a baby I am adopting due in less than a month, everything is bought on line sight unseen in the stated limited quantities. OR sometimes I luck out and the grocery store has wipes or diapers. But all clothing has to be online same with all crib type stuff. Oh, and formula, wish me luck. ITs backlogged everywhere I have ordered on-line. Someday I should have a few weeks worth delivered. Hoping before the kids comes! Not fun!
People seem to be paying their bills. Our local utilities sent a notice with the bill that they must be paid and how to pay, including places that typically help out those in need.
Courts seem to be closed except for emergency things like domestic violence.
They have determined that new underwear, car seats and cribs, schools, courts, even the DMV are not essential.
However, McDonalds is truly essential and must be kept open.
TN also has ordered that bars can be kept open and gave a special order that alcohol based drinks may be picked up from the bars and taken home from the bars in cups with lids. They can not be drunk at the bars though. Of coarse they are not to drink the bar drinks in the car. Bars with a drive up service is very essential in TN!!
Real Estate Agent Ā· Southington, CT Ā· Member since 2008 Ā· 5k+ posts Ā· 3k+ votes
6y
People around me are starting to grow fed up also. Yesterday (Good Friday) there were a lot of people on the roads. Our order is in place until May 20.
Sunnyvale , CA Ā· Member since 2017 Ā· 373 posts Ā· 362 votes
6y
@Ricardo P.
People should ask tough questions to themselves like what if all my sources of income stopped for 6- 12 - 24 months and only had my expenses, will I survive?
90% people will fail on that test. Fact is Covid-19 stats on # of cases and # of fatalities are not getting better anywhere, Small Biz is getting crushed everywhere. Large corporations are working through furloughs and layoffs. Those have not even caught speed but they are coming. Several tech startups here in SF are closing doors as we speak. Even a giant like AirBnB had to raise emergency capital to stay afloat and pay a whopping 10% coupon on it. Unemployment may top 20% which dwarfs the 12% number from 2008 or the 6% in 2003. People are not going to pay rents like they paid in April and thatās because most people got paid in March for at least half of the month. Sectors like Tourism, Dining, Travel, Big Oil will see a huge downdraft, lots of bankruptcies and layoffs. Sorry wish I had better news.
I thank you for taking time out of your day to express your ideas and thoughts. I myself should be fine with my investments. Iām considered an essential worker so Iām getting income while having a good chunk of a savings account. Iām sure I was referring my thoughts about the mom and pop shops around my area that are going to be forced to close due to this pandemic. Its an awful situation for anyone to be in. It could of been my parents in that situation or maybe yours. Itās horrible how we have one of the best economies in the world but canāt help our small business owners. Not just mom and pop shops but mom and pop landlords. Who knows when all this will be over. Alot Of foreclosures are coming in soon
Rental Property Investor Ā· Los Angeles, CA Ā· Member since 2017 Ā· 2k+ posts Ā· 5k+ votes
6y
It's not a surprise that it got extended. The initial S@H order was set to expire in a couple of days. Lots of cities that have S@H orders set them to expire in May or were open ended.
In LA they are trying to crack down on people flouting the order. However, I see more and more people on the streets. A few weeks ago a shopping center was deserted except for some cars parked around the market and the take out restaurant. This week the restaurant is closed, but there are 4X the number of cars parked all over the parking lot, not close to the market. It's a mixture of frustration and horrible clarity on what you can/can't do from our Mayor.
For May rent, most people will have their stimulus checks in hand. My worry is that they use the money to pay other bills that were missed. When you can't be evicted or charged a late fee, pay the phone, cable, and car bills first.
Irvine, CA Ā· Member since 2016 Ā· 545 posts Ā· 614 votes
6y
@Ricardo P. I think the May and June rent payments will be telling. Keep in mind many of those on unemployment starting tomorrow will be getting that extra $600 a week from the Fed stimulus package. They will be making close to pre-COVID-19 income, and some will be making more money than when they had a job and was paying rent.
I can see them taking the first couple of extra checks to rebalance their financial situation, but I will say, come May, and definitely June, if they are getting an extra $2,400 a month and not paying rent, it's because they are choosing not to pay since there is no rent enforcement right now for not paying rent.
LakeWood , CA Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 268 posts Ā· 331 votes
6y
@Greg M. I believe that people are just getting tired of it. I mean we werenāt born to be locked up in a cage. We are so used to going to work,picking the kids up from school ect. In other words we basically have an everyday program that our bodies and minds have adjusted too. I understand that this is a health pandemic and we have to follow the rules. But, since you and I are both in SoCal The worst is yet to come. I wonder is the eviction protection plan is going to stay the same, May 31 or if the government is extending the eviction protection plan from May 31 to maybe Oct. or November. Whatās your input on that?
LakeWood , CA Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 268 posts Ā· 331 votes
6y
@Ray Johnson you have a very solid point about income during these tragic times. Do you think they will extend the eviction protecting time frame that is supposed to expire May 31? To maybe letās say Oct-Nov? Even tho tenants will be making a ridiculous amount of income in the next couple of months? On top of that Iām sure they will be receiving their stimulus check
Interior Designer Ā· Pittsburgh, PA Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 34 posts Ā· 19 votes
6y
@Mike Bolen That is complete insanity to allow church services, and to even consider āopeningā states.
No, none of us are accustomed to living like this. Yes, all kinds of businesses and individuals are getting hit hard financially. Iām one of them.
But if people start returning to normal activities before this virus is adequately tamped down, better understood, has better treatment options and ideally a vaccine, the consequences will be beyond dire. Thousands more people will die or end up permanently disabled by the virus, and the economic and social consequences will be far greater than they currently are.
That said, at least in CA, I feel sure that once Gavin gets wind of the plans in Riverside and San Bernardino, he will put his foot down hard to stop it.
Investor Ā· Napa, CA Ā· Member since 2016 Ā· 95 posts Ā· 62 votes
6y
Dr Wendy, or do you just pretend to be a doctor on BiggerPockets?
Need only look at Sweden, Netherlands, Belarus... or states with no lockdown orders and no surge in deadly cases to see thatās not true. https://www.newser.com/story/2...
@Mike Bolen That is complete insanity to allow church services, and to even consider āopeningā states.
No, none of us are accustomed to living like this. Yes, all kinds of businesses and individuals are getting hit hard financially. Iām one of them.
But if people start returning to normal activities before this virus is adequately tamped down, better understood, has better treatment options and ideally a vaccine, the consequences will be beyond dire. Thousands more people will die or end up permanently disabled by the virus, and the economic and social consequences will be far greater than they currently are.
That said, at least in CA, I feel sure that once Gavin gets wind of the plans in Riverside and San Bernardino, he will put his foot down hard to stop it.
LakeWood , CA Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 268 posts Ā· 331 votes
6y
@Wendy Hoechstetter I totally understand where you are coming from. But you also need to acknowledge that people are Going to be loosing their homes Soon. Iām not talking about investment properties but homes that they have lived in 15-20yrs due to this pandemic. Tenants are starting to act up because they are protected from being evicted. The government needs to understand people will soon be committing suicide because of this. How many more months do we have to be locked in for? Yes, me as an investor I do have a savings account. But Iām not referring to myself. Iām talking about elderly people whom make money from their barber shop, hair salon or maybe from selling sport equipment out their shop that they need to pay rent for. Yes, people are getting unemployment, Yes, people are getting a stimulus check but what people donāt know is that the U.S will be in bigger debt right after. Taxes will sky rocket because the government will want to make all that money back. Nothing in life is free specially here in California.
Investor Ā· Wakefield, MA Ā· Member since 2019 Ā· 31 posts Ā· 73 votes
6y
I would not be surprised if we start to see riots in the streets if these lockdowns last into June. People's mental health is going to start suffering.
I have investment properties in NOT the best areas of Los Angeles. And thatās what Iām more fearful of. People rioting, looting places and setting homes,buildings and property on fire to prove a point. Maybe right now we are all taking this very well but all it takes is for a small group of people to start and then the whole city goes along with it. Thatās what happened with the riots in the 90s. Whole city of LA was made into a sh*t hole. But if thatās what the city whatās I wouldnāt be surprised if thatās what they get.
I understand that this is a health pandemic and we have to follow the rules. But, since you and I are both in SoCal The worst is yet to come. I wonder is the eviction protection plan is going to stay the same, May 31 or if the government is extending the eviction protection plan from May 31 to maybe Oct. or November. Whatās your input on that?
My rational thought is that they cannot extend the eviction protections much more without some sort of compensation to the landlords. There is only so much pain a landlord can accept before they either walk away from the place or take matters into their own hands and remove a tenant by force. Having said that, the amount of stupidity that has come out of CA politicians is mind blowing and just when you think it can't get any dumber, they prove you wrong.
I think they have to extend the eviction protections past May 31. Come June 1st people just won't have enough money to pay the rent. The City Legislature will make the decision and the heat will fall on the Mayor who isn't exactly well liked or respected. Overall, I don't think it matters too much. Once the courts open up there is going to be a massive backlog of cases. I'm sure eviction cases are going to be an even lower priority for the court system now.
I do think there will be significant pressure on banks at the Federal level to extend mortgage forbearance. It's easy for the government to exert pressure on the banks and the banks can come out looking like heroes by working with people to save their homes.
Realtor Ā· San Diego, CA Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 13 posts Ā· 7 votes
6y
The stay at home order is in effect in San Diego as well. It was made enforceable a week or so ago. It's illegal to be in a park, trail, beach, etc. People are getting ticketed. The fine is up to 1k and/or 6 months in jail since it's technically a misdemeanor. Just make sure to take advantage of any stimulus programs, income protection, and various government programs in the meantime. Apply for the EIDL and the number of other incentives running through the SBA.
It's a terrible situation we are all in. I'm not going to sit here and say I expect things to magically get better overnight. I'm just doing everything I can to navigate the crazy times we are living in. COVID-19 will have a lasting impact on the world. The zillion dollar question is for how long and how bad?
New video from Meet Kevin summing up the stimulus package in 8 minutes: Stimulus in 8 mins