Madison, WI 路 Member since 2019 路 37 posts 路 23 votes
I have a tenant that is going to move out in about three months and I just started advertising the vacancy. How does everyone conduct their credit and background checks on potential renters?
Rental Property Investor 路 Edmond, OK 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
6y
I use buildium for my software and I utilize their credit/background search. It's one of the more expensive options and it's really not necessarily unless you are managing quite a few units.
You could check into mysmartmove.com or set up an application through cozy.co and have the tenants apply through there. Cozy.co is free (unless you want to pay for extra features) and great for basic functions like online applications, advertising and collecting rent.
Rental Property Investor 路 Edmond, OK 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
6y
I use buildium for my software and I utilize their credit/background search. It's one of the more expensive options and it's really not necessarily unless you are managing quite a few units.
You could check into mysmartmove.com or set up an application through cozy.co and have the tenants apply through there. Cozy.co is free (unless you want to pay for extra features) and great for basic functions like online applications, advertising and collecting rent.
Cincinnati, OH 路 Member since 2020 路 299 posts 路 476 votes
6y
I suggest using Innago. The platform is integrated with Smartmove, so you get all your credit, criminal and eviction reports directly from TransUnion. Plus the software and screening features are free for you to use, Innago charges your tenants directly for screening reports.
Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
6y
Use the search bar above for "tenant screening" or "application screening" and you'll find thousands of posts and blogs discussing this.
Before focusing on cost, figure out what the service provides. Do they give a "recommendation" or do they give you all the details and let you figure it out? Is it a summary credit report, or the full report? Criminal details? Do they verify identity? Is their report easy to read and understand?
Test out their online application. Is it easy to get an applicant to find them and complete the application? Can applicants attach supporting documentation easily, like a photo ID and pay stubs?
@Kyle Hoppman BiggerPockets has recommended tenant screening companies on the landlord resources tab. You can find the landlord resources tab by hovering over the "tools" bar and clicking "Landlord Resources" which you can find under the services area.
I would recommend researching what company would best fit your screening needs. You might also find it helpful to search "tenant screening" or "background checks" in the search bar to see what services other investors have been using.
Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2018 路 546 posts 路 227 votes
6y
Hi Kyle! Great question. There are definitely some tools that can help with managing things moving forward. As others have mentioned above, Cozy is a good tool, but there are definitely others worth giving some serious consideration.
Aside from providing the basics (ie. listing tool to get the property published to 10+ major sites; scheduling tool to schedule viewings, etc), tenant screening is a big part to look out for. With comprehensive applications -- including pulled reports from TransUnion and nationwide criminal background checks + credit checks + eviction history -- the right platform should make it as seamless as possible for you if you're managing on your own.
One thing Cozy doesn't have is a digital lease creation tool. Still, other platforms offer what they offer like online payments and maintenance tracking. This creates some added value too as the right one will offer your tenants additional capabilities (ie. their ability to report their on-time rent payments to the credit bureaus as a way of building their credit scores, which can create an added incentive for making sure they pay that rent on time). I hope this helps! And best of luck on your decision! @Kyle Hoppman
Westfield, IN 路 Member since 2017 路 27 posts 路 6 votes
5y
A follow up question on this discussion. After pre-screening and house tour, I have 3 potential tenants ready for filling out the application, paying application fee and credit background check. From pre-screening, I don't foresee any surprises on the reports (馃). Do I pull credit on all 3 at the same time since most probably two of them will be paying for it without being accepted?